Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gone wrong? SF is looking at a possible majority government of SF and only SF if this trend continues. Then again, to people who think that greenways and cycle lanes will make a difference while China and India continue to generate more "greenhouse gas", it probably does. It doesn't mean that they, or the projection, are right. That's the problem with the Greens lately. They have problems with the Science.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've heard it described elsewhere as the Greens having a problem with reality, which probably sums it up slightly better.

Their very militant supporter in this thread repeatedly posting about how great it is that you can now get circa 20% back in grants towards solar panels/BER improvements etc, and refusing to understand how thats completely useless to the majority of Irish households who can't afford to spend tens of thousands of euros to avail of the grants in the first place, is a very good example.

They're just completely out of touch with reality in most areas of policy. Which is why they're facing electoral wipeout in Ireland now I guess. At a time when support for environmental policies is at all time high in Ireland, and when Green parties are polling at 20%+ in other countries. Its an impressively bad reflection on their policy-making in government.

I think there are two types of Greens. The first are the realists who actually understand the Science and that the planet's climate system is a highly complex one and that no climate model will be 100% accurate in its projections. Then there are, for want of a better word, morons.

They seem to think that the best way to help the developing regions is to turn the developed world into a wasteland. They are the kind of people who wibble about "climate justice" and other f*ckwittery while using their smartphones oblivious to the fact that some of the metals in it were extracted by people who are, in effect, modern-day slaves.

Then you have the Green politicians who fly all over the world creating massive carbon footprints while lecturing ordinary people struggling to make ends meet on why they should pay unjust taxes to make those trading in carbon futures richer while the politicians vote to give themselves pay rises.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I'm having the same problem with the Greens as I'm having with the Labour Party. Posh Greens and ever posh Lefties. Affluent Greens making me feel guilty if I don't dance a jig to cycleways, and a Left that can't even define what a woman if it means an answer would upset some element of society, however small. Parties of the people? No. Not really.

And the alternative? The continued spiv culture of FF and FG. Some choice for voters, but it does allow SF to enter into a space and exploit it to its advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I’m still waiting for the taxes you mentioned?

Or you are probably better off continuing to ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am many days waiting for your answers on Emissions and Retrofits. For someone that never answers a straight question, you demand a lot. Go easy on the lemons today.

Note: I gave you the answers 😉

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

As per my post I answered, you didn’t like the answer. Not my problem

Have you figured out who hasn’t provided the greenway in Galway yet by the way? I would be interested to get to the bottom of that

For someone that constantly posts about polls I would have expected you would have the ability to see past the poll numbers. But even when I provide a chart with the obvious issue you can’t decipher. Certainly calls into question all of the posts when you go into details about polls doesn’t it ?

Do you mind reposting the answers on Emissions and Retrofits? I missed it 😉

It might be a day to take a break from the keyboard.

Anything on the Greenway?

Then you accuse people of ignoring questions.

Maybe take your own advice the odd time

• Advertisement

I am fine with the Greenway thanks. Making progress slowly. It probably won't solve the climate crisis though - fingers crossed eh 😂

Now, Emissions and Retrofits plans? Quid pro quo BA.

I have long predicted that FG would get max 20 seats in the next GE. The longer this government goes on, the more toxic they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

Between the Green party being the only party in government demanding and getting an increase in the carbon tax[1], and the Green party stopping a third energy grant being given to households this Spring[2], they're literally single handedly responsible for costing every single Irish household anywhere from 400-1400euro of their net income in 2023. And we're only just into April of the year, they'll no doubt 'achieve' more in the rest of the year. As I posted in reply to you multiple times, but you seem to have had problems comprehending.

For all FF & FG's many failings in government currently (housing, health etc) they are at least trying to put money back into the pockets of struggling Irish households during this cost of living crisis. But the Greens are somehow managing to be the worst party in government, deliberately pushing policy that costs struggling Irish families dearly at a time they can least afford it.

There will literally be lives ruined, and families made homeless this year, by the Green's taking the last few euros from their pocket. Its horrendously bad, uncaring, policy making thats totally out of touch with reality. And thats exactly why the Green party is apparently on track to be wiped out in the next election.

[1]https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/planned-carbon-tax-hike-will-go-ahead-despite-soaring-cost-of-living-41517515.html

[2]https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/greens-want-to-block-fourth-200-electricity-credit-for-this-summer-amid-coalition-row-42344635.html

So the taxes you mentioned comes down to carbon tax. Thank you for confirming

Just a quick tip, don’t talk about people’s comprehension when you post a link saying “electricity credit” and then call it a tax.

The chart doesn't publish its methodology. To someone like yourself, that probably doesn't matter. To those who work with STEM, it is necessary to be able to explain how one arrives at conclusions and ensure that the methodology used is sound. When it comes to deciphering things, I have a much better background than you. That chart, without its methodology, is nothing more than the equivalent of P.T.O written on two sides of a piece of paper. It keeps some people amused for longer than others.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

What chart are You referring to? The last chart you furnished stated the projection for the greens is no seats come the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Varadkar showing up on RTE on Easter Sunday to tell us the housing crisis is "on the cusp" of change. We know Leo, we've all seen the poll results too :) 

FFG have run Ireland like it's a division of a US multinational prioritising the markets and divisive social reforms over Irish citizens housing/health. As a result, now we're going to be (another) one of those "right-wing extremist" "racist" EU countries that the IT keeps warning us about. The govmt can maybe secure one final favour from the EU/US markets by ensuring Ireland's entry to NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not sure about those poll results, doubt FF will have 30 seats after the next GE.

I agree. I’m also not sure that PBP will be wiped out. Not saying it’s not possible, but hard to believe.

• Advertisement

These polls are first preference polls. The problem of an FG collapse in support, if the 15% happens in a GE, will affect transfers as well. FG will be struggling to keep transfers within FG candidates. That means fewer transfers for FF, Greens and Labour. As for FF, the lack of transfers would hit its seat count and could easily see it struggling to hold around 20 seats. The Single Transferable Vote system can throw up some very weird results. In 2002 had one of its worst GE results ever. It went from 54 seats before to 31 seats after. The swing against FG in support terms was only -5.4%. In 2016, FF went from 21 seats to 44 and the swing was +6.9%.

FG, on 15% in a GE, would be struggling to return around 14 seats.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Leo “working”on Easter Sunday was about as clear a sign of desperation as I’ve ever seen from him. But fear not FG supporters, it’s only a few more months until the Minister for Wokeness returns and with it the inevitable Helen bounce in the polls!

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Green party with 0 seats thatd be the job

And it took a Green supporter to load this info on this thread.

That tweet is showing a GE prediction based off 4 polls according to the replies.

I do think we need a credible Green party but the current bunch and leader are for the birds. They are non achievers. I heard recently on the radio about a biodiversity report showing that the government are failing across all metrics and will not fund their own policies or legislation. It means FFG are completely dismissing their coalition partner.

I mentioned this earlier. This is from a government that actually has the Green Party in it's coalition. Imagine what FFG would achieve on their own. Again the power swap have inflicted decades of failure on the country.

Assembly urges State to enforce biodiversity laws (rte.ie)

The final report of the Citizens' Assembly on Biodiversity Loss has highlighted the failure of the State to adequately fund, implement and enforce existing laws and directives to protect biodiversity and nature.

After listening to presentations from 80 leading experts, and debating and deliberating the matter for months, they point the finger of blame at the Government.

The report says the State needs to properly enforce all existing biodiversity-related legislation and directives; that it needs to adequately fund, resource and hold to account the agencies and State bodies responsible for biodiversity protection; and make those responsibilities crystal clear.

She said that it was time to enact the laws and policies we have, as well as EU and international laws and that will go a long way to protect biodiversity. She said that the blame was not just on this Government but has been happening over decades, as historically people did not think nature needed protecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Meanwhile over at RTE, lots of senior figures are having a massive temper tantrum because Finn's Dad did not get the director general gig. LOL! [Note: The RTE DG has significant political influence and so this is only slightly off-topic.]

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2023/04/10/rte-director-general-selection-stalls-after-fraught-board-meeting/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive dealt with that company and the 29.50 a month on their website is not available, I confirmed this with them by telephone and they had no answer as to why their website advertises it. But I see you have been caught out by it too just like I was. The quote they gave me was 55 per month and they also wanted to use scaffolding at an extra cost of 1,500. All up I calculated the payback was almost 16 years making it completely uneconomical and a waste of time. By the time it would have paid itself back the entire system would have been nearing replacement putting you back at square one all over again.

There is no value in the solar market anymore because the SEAI have licensed a very limited amount of installers and now they have a captive market so they are fleecing people, Ive several quotes which were off the scale compared to going to the direct labour route. These companies are just grabbing the entire grant for themselves and then lumping even more profit on top meaning peoples payback periods can be more than a decade away and the SEAI are standing back and doing nothing about it meaning they will never hit their targets to reduce emissions. The SEAI are basically another government quango wasting taxpayers money and lining the pockets of these renewable companies while the end consumer gets shafted.

Even the Minister who set up the Deep Retrofit Housing scheme has now come out and said that he has cancelled his plans to deep retrofit his own house because the costs skyrocketed so much. When the person who set up the scheme is complaining about it you know things are very wrong.

The former minister who introduced the home retrofit grant scheme had to abandon plans to avail of it for his own house because of the cost.

Denis Naughten, who as minister for environment introduced the first grants in 2017, said the price quoted for retrofitting his home last year jumped 53pc in three months.

He has called on the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), which runs the National Retrofitting Scheme, to examine how it is being implemented on the ground.

“I have been hugely frustrated by it,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Advertisement