Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs without a degree

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭apache

Long service Gardai and Prison service being an example. Your example dosen't hold water there. They aren't looking just for people who talk the talk and your qualifications are relevant how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭apkmbarry

I came in on EO level, but I have a degree. I've had two friends who went in at CO, and progressed to EO at the two year mark, neither with degrees. But there's no reason why they couldn't have come in at EO level, they just didn't have any management experience of any kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭HBC08

Most people will take anybody who's available as has been the case for the last few years and will be for the next few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I seriously doubt that, painters are expensive and nobody is going to pay some cowboy with no experience in case he makes a mess of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Experience is easy to get. Just paint your own house and your family and friends. All the tutorials are on Youtube. Paint and tools are cheap enough. Then take a few pictures, snazzy them up for an Instagram profile and there you go!

We got quotes to paint our house, 120sqm, nothing fancy and it was 900 in labour alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I guess the trick is to change job to one with decent entry level pay & while your working try get yourself a degree in area that will help you prpgress in the job ,

Im not against doing one after work hours ,just a lot of my 20's i worked hard & got a decent wage but never looked towards the future,

Iv never been on the dole in my life as iv enjoy working hard ,i just regret not going to college now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭kirving

Think of your choice here as a path into a long term career, not just a job with decent pay.

What do you have natural aptitude for? What area are you interested in? Finance, Logistics, Engineering, Manufacturing, Tourism, Marketing, Logistics, a Trade, Car Sales, Government, Teaching, Tech?

For a country with relatively cheap Third Level education, Ireland tends to overvalue (IMO) college degrees. I work in engineering, and despite some of my colleagues having a ton of experience, their lack of a Level 8 degree holds them back career wise, so many have gone back to study at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

I know an AP who went from CO to AP in about 5/6 years, no degree.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is not true. There is an unbelievable demand for painting, tiling and “general handyman” type work that is very lucrative.

Painting isn’t rocket science. I have done loads of it. I taught my partner how to paint when doing our house. After a day or two she was an expert. The only difference between ours and a professionals work was the cost!

I remember starting my own electrical contracting business (I don’t do this work anymore). I couldn’t show clients what I had done before. Never had any problem getting work. It’s all word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Very few public servants earning that kind of money .

There are public servants with thirty years experience earning 45 to 50 k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Do a History degree. You will learn something relevant.

Or study English for 3 years. Learn poems and wisdom, you will need those things when you are trying to carve out a living.

Don't join the Civil Service as an employee after you are 30. The real lifers will never take to you, and you will spend 20 years of your working life getting patronised by wasters. Granted you will get a guaranteed pension, heart trouble from eating free, over salted sandwiches and the added bonus of not being listened to, or worse still, blatantly undermined, by a clique of gormless arseholes who have the entire job sown up. Those dicks are all over it. But if you are not in by 30 forget about it. They will exclude you from everything, they couldn't have you showing them up. They will get you subtly as a wack over the head with a claw hammer. Exclude you from strategy meetings. Only loop you in on the away day at the last minute. Minimum pay rises, with massive scrutiny, wait till you start getting marginalised for doing good work. Last offer on summer holidays, you get the picture?

If you really want to see how the civies bum our euros, you need to get yourself into HR consulting. That is where all the smart leaches are. Faffing around seminars in Gothenburg, liaising with the Anderson Group think tank. Rolling out "The Proactive Reform Employment Strategy" or ... PRES every 5 years. That is where some SEO on 92 grand a year gets a 7 grand golf trip from his wife's lover, who also happens to have a real job in the private sector on Hardcore street. This is where the Civil Servants get their useless asses oiled up for a hammering bigtime. I love it when they start reclassifying the expense code from Legal Fees to Appointment Costs... to Appropriation Costs... to Staff Enrollment fund ....... as opposed to calling it 7 figures of consulting fees every 12 months to buffer the coffers of the private sector. At least someone is getting paid?

If you can handle being a Yacht Club bore, you might have at least half a chance of making it on Hardcore street. You can tag along in your local GAA, Golf or Rugby club. As long as you can handle the drama of all that. But you will need to do those things, or the bores will classify you as an odd ball and start spreading ugly rumours about you.... the Hardcore Street rumour mill resembles the attrition incurred by the poor men of the Maginot line in WW1. It is a constant spat of Irish Times readers talking shight about sports stars they are acquainted with, whilst spewing lies about the time such and such ...and such and such rode the hole off each other during the Microsoft Audit in 2015. It never stops. Throw in the Insurance tyrants, who btw I read some drone above ... recommending a degree course for ? What? as the mighty John McEnroe often cranked " you cannot be serious? " .... I learnt about insurance and all its many made up rules when I was 14 years old in Bus Org class, before the Junior Cert was even conceived, back when you could get the bus to London from Busaras 7 nights a week... back when you could buy a bag of apples for a quid. Or when WANG computers existed.

Do History or English ... or if you have the aptitude a LANGUAGE or a SCIENCE. Do something useful, for YOUR future , trust me on this, NOBODY ELSE WILL , believe me please mortals. I might spend all afternoon crying in my lair, but I see it all , every bit of it.

Easter Eggs are the price of 2-3 pints. If there was to be a revoutlion in Ireland, I would line up all those overpaid pen pushing Gout maligned excuses for 157k a year and a pension and a clothing allowance that no ones ever talks about.... and make them eat every Easter Egg on the island in one revolting gag induced sitting, just to show them what it is like to have to witness their meaningless, meddling existence every hour of the day? The same stooges spend more time sniggering at knackers and negligently educated compatriots, than they actually do running the country for the 7 and a half hours they are supposed to a day?

Enjoy your studies, I would recommend analysing the myth of Grainne Mhaol and the feasibility of her actually being Elizabeth Tudor in disguise. Stanger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which Department had the misfortune of putting up with your thirty year old self Count? I suspect that it was your lamentable personal hygiene and inability to comprehend basic instructions that led to your ostracisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A better option would be to avail of the educational supports available to get a degree while working, or a similarly valuable professional qualification, law, accounting, banking- dependent on what area you are working in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If you have 10 years experience and already have some qualifications in transport, is there some other sector where that would be useful? Just so you dont need to start at entry level again. A lot of skills are transferable and your courses may have credits that could be counted towards other qualifications if you're considering further study.

Can you give an idea of what you did before as transport is very broad and what other areas you might be interested in. Also, do you want a job or would you be interested in being self-employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

You can't just decide to become a Painter over night by practicing painting your own house or family , for one thing he'd be much slower than an experienced painter so even if he charges the same as what professionals are charging he will be only be earning half what they earn if he's taking twice as long .

If the OP could afford to do it by getting a job with a painter to learn the trade and then sticking that job for a year he would then have the experience to get his own van and advertise for work. The same could be done with a tiler also , tiling is probably better paid than painting .

As for jobs with no degree that are well paid , chimney sweeps seem to earn a decent wage from what l can see , the guys who come out to unblock a drain are charging €120 nowadays per job .

Depending on where he's based becoming a Taxi Driver is another option .

Post edited by Juwwi on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree, if I was paying top dollar for a professional painter/tiler/landscaper etc and got a handyman instead then I wouldnt be happy or recommending that service.

OTOH, if it was a handyman/residential property service who could do a lot of non-trade jobs like garden tidy-ups, power washing, window cleaning, garden fence and shed painting, minor tiling or carpentry and other small things, then that service would be like gold-dust imo.

I know lots of people who would be delighted to find a reasonable cost local service to do handyman jobs. Man with a van services are always busy as well.

OP hasnt said if they want to be employed or be self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Politics.

You don't even need a qualification. Even having a criminal record related for drug use and littering is no barrier! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_%27Ming%27_Flanagan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh you absolutely need qualifications, a fallback career option and deep pockets.... And the qualifications are much more difficult to acquire than a college degree. Many people stand for election, most fail and those the succeed have often had to work for 10 - 20 years to get to a point where they can go 'professional'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Littering 🤣 you make it sound like he was caught dumping a lorry load of old tires down a country lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Why not just get a degree? You have another 35 years of working ahead of you, minimum. A 4 year degree (or apprenticeship) will be over in no time, and then many more doors are open for you. s nothing, Can be done part-time/evenings etc.

• Advertisement

Good point by the poster above and you can live the student life which really are the best days of your life. I went back to college as a mature student from 24 to 30, I had as much craic as the 18 to 22 year olds and got my qualifications while there. made lots of friends im mostly still friends with.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I suppose it's easy to laugh it off once it's not you that have to pick up other people's rubbish. You document yourself cleaning up for a day along Grafton street, then make the same laughing emoji post. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What's the difference between a handyman and a professional painter?

A few months experience. Honestly, for your average semiD theres no difference. You're not painting the Sistene Chapel.

All the tutorials are online, an absolute wealth of resources on how to professionally apply paint to a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I would agree wholeheartedly. Know many who had solid working class backgrounds, left school with the Leaving and went straight into work. They've hugely benefitted from the in role training culture of the last 15-20 years.

Advertisement