Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit hair health effects??

Options
  • 08-04-2023 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Shot a rabbit there this evening and I brought it to a friend of mine as I don't know how to skin them but he kept repeating himself about how dangerous rabbit fur was to breath in and even to eat if it still stuck to the meat.

Any truth in this or is it just dangerous to someone who has an allergy to fur??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Allergy, yes an issue.

1 million cowboy hats in the U.S. and no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Rabbit fur can be problematic for some people, they can react from touching it, or inhaling it if tiny amounts become airborne. Maybe your friend is one of those. You/your friend could skin the rabbit outdoors and wear a facemask as a precaution. Many a person has skinned rabbits for the pot, I never heard of it being unduly dangerous.

I was plucking a gamebird a while back, can't remember if it was pheasant or woodcock but I had a dreadful sneezing reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fleas might be the only thing to be concerned with rabbits as they can vector some nastier diseases and are the carriers of myxomatosis while deadly to rabbits is harmless to humans. However once the shot bunny starts to cool down the fleas will soon depart by themselves, so within an hour or so they should be flea-less.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Does your friend tend to exaggerate about other stuff too?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭garrettod

You could wet the fur, after giving the animal an hour to cool down - if the fur is wet, it's far less likely to become airborne, while you skin the rabbit.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I doubt if rabbit fur is very dangerous. They sell them in pet stores like.

Advertisement