Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

yet there isn’t a single woman who has come out in support of her, not one swimmer in that dressing room (including some Irish swimmers) who had said this has happened and that Riley Gaines is correct.

and there isn't a single one who has come out and said she was lying.

so, what reason would anyone have for not speaking out, either way? Heres a reason why someone might not speak up in support of her:

"I actually had a ton of Lia Thomas' teammates reach out to me personally, and thank me for what I'm doing because this is something they deal with every single day," Gaines told co-host Brian Kilmeade. "But of course, they're intimidated, they're threatened, they're emotionally blackmailed."

Gaines said she has many examples of Ivy League schools taking action to prevent their female swimmers from speaking out.

"One of those examples being an email sent to the Ivy League swimmer saying that if you feel uncomfortable changing in an area where you will see male genitalia, here are some resources, and you should seek counseling."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/kentucky-swimmer-riley-gaines-many-lia-thomas-teammates-thanked-speaking

what reason would anyone have to not come out and refute what she's saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Gaines did not say thomas flashed her, find a video where she used that term and ill admit im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yes, this is the way the tide is turning.

But will this stance satisfy the trans community?

I am not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

Are you for real? How can you as a supporter of trans rights say that a trans woman who is naked in a women's changing room, could be committing a sexual assault?

"would be sexual assault a couple of years ago" but not today is obviously what she meant

• Advertisement

Biological males have no place in womens sports.

This latest push - language to the effect that biological males who have experienced puberty cannot enter womens sports - is a trick to make those who oppose biological males in womens sports think they have won.

In reality it just kicks the problem down the road. Right now there are not many transgenders who have done puberty blockers at an early age. In the future there surely will be, someone is steering society in this direction. And then we will have to deal will this problem all over again.

Womens sports are for biological females, not a dumping ground for biological males who are performing slower due to medical intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The use of puberty blockers in children for sporting reasons is not going to become widespread and there'd be no guarantee it would be a success as without puberty there is no male advantage.

Using puberty blockers for sporting reasons would also be completely unethical and effectively be the same as the castrati for singing. There would be bigger problems than in sport if that was deemed acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I don't even disagree with most of what she says here, but the "strong men" that she misses are dying a fast death because of the beliefs that people like her share. A bit like J.K Rowling, their worldview of "tolerance" is what's created the problems that she's now fighting against. Sadly gender critical feminists like her don't even see that, and they likely never will.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the "strong men" that she misses are dying a fast death

in what way? Covid-19? Genocide?

Strong men don’t just fall over dead because some girl in sport is trans.

For all we really know her idea of a strong man is a womanizer and an adulterer/PUA, like Andrew Tate or “Nick Adams (Alpha Male)”? Those are the only attitudes I see way less of these days. People actually value personality and **** the past few decades.

And just because someome takes a puberty blocker doesnt mean they will be allowed to compete in their chosen gender category anyway.

The bottom line is that competitive sport is segregating by biological sex and more and more sporting bodies will likely follow suit.

Its a shame that this debate drives a wedge between biological females and trans females, but I am not sure it is a debate than both groups will ever fully align on.

• Advertisement

For all we really know her idea of a strong man is a womanizer and an adulterer/PUA, like Andrew Tate or “Nick Adams (Alpha Male)”? Those are the only attitudes I see way less of these days. People actually value personality and **** the past few decades.

As usual, the most uncharitable interpretation possible. She could just as easily mean strong men who stand up for what's right and don't allow themselves to be walked over. I know little about the woman, but I'd be surprised if she was a fan of any of those men mentioned, as her "anti- trans" position seems to largely come from a feminist perspective.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

She could just as easily mean strong men who stand up for what's right and don't allow themselves to be walked over.

those men support other people doing the same, like trans people. So I don’t think that’s what she meant.

Id throw caution about driving to the defense of a woman on a thread you claim to know nothing about but then functioning as priest to interpret for us what she said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is the response from SFS University about the Riley Gaines incident. Paragraph 2 is just beyond belief, talk about gaslighting. But that's just my view...

https://twitter.com/davidllamas_/status/1644760038626713600?s=46&t=AjtjSItRj-kgZwRzL-pdyQ

Just a view indeed as the vast majority of those protestors aren’t even in question of having done anything violent.

The rules seem to be anybody who has gone through male puberty. In effect this means virtually all biological males in their teens and above.

Really this debate has become a battleground in culture wars mostly by activists with zero interest in sport.

There's been pages of posts here about drag shows and books in school neither of which have anything to do with sport.

Yes, valid points.

Sport is an anomaly in the trans/biological female debate, because it is perhaps the only subject in which trans women can have a biological advantage over biological women.

But the acknowledgement of this concept, is the acceptance of a dividing line between Trans and biological females.

Riley Gaines might not be everyone's cup of tea. She comes from a religious, Christian background and seems to have views that many wouldn't agree with incl. relating to vaccines. So, she's an easy target for the hate. But, what has any of that to do with swimming? As a teenager I tried competitive swimming training for a few months, and couldn't hack the punishing regime. Swimming is clearly her passion and she's been training and competing since the age of 8 apparently. So, to see the amount of work she put into the sport being casually tossed aside by allowing males to compete against women, I completely see where she is coming from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is currently at least, nothing to suggest that transwomen who have not undergone male puberty have an inherent advantage over women. Pre-puberty many girls in fact have advantages in size.

Its basically the opposite side of the coin that says once they have undergone male puberty nothing will "correct" that inherent advantage.

It doesn't kick the problem down the road, as on an athletic level there may not be a problem. The issue of pre-pubescent children taking hormone blockers and potentially eventually avoiding male puberty altogether is not of relevance for this particular discussion.

Puberty blockers wont erode all male physiological advantages in a Trans athlete though.

Entering adulthhood, a Trans athlete will still have some physiological advantage over biological women, whether that athlete took puberty blockers or not.

I think thats part of the point the Sporting Bodies are making.

It is impossible to erode completley the physiological sporting advantage of a person born male, when that person competes against a person born female.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean, we don't really know. If transpeople in and of themselves are a small subset that makes proper analysis difficult, then those who never went through puberty is a microscopic subset.

The World Rugby regulations at least make an exception for those that have not undergone male puberty as they didn't think they had enough info to judge on it.

• Advertisement

Dear SF State community,

Today, San Francisco State finds itself again at the center of a national discussion regarding freedom of speech and expression. Let me begin by saying clearly: the trans community is welcome and belongs at San Francisco State University. Further, our community fiercely believes in unity, connection, care and compassion, and we value different ideas, even when they are not our own. SF State is regularly noted as one of the most diverse campuses in the United States—this is what makes us Gators, and this is what makes us great. Diversity promotes critical discussions, new understandings and enriches the academic experience. But we may also find ourselves exposed to divergent views and even views we find personally abhorrent. These encounters have sometimes led to discord, anger, confrontation and fear. We must meet this moment and unite with a shared value of learning.

Thank you to our students who participated peacefully in Thursday evening’s event. It took tremendous bravery to stand in a challenging space. I am proud of the moments where we listened and asked insightful questions. I am also proud of the moments when our students demonstrated the value of free speech and the right to protest peacefully. These issues do not go away, and these values are very much at our core.

This feels difficult because it is difficult. As you reflect, process, and begin to heal, please remember that there are people, resources and services available and ready to receive our Gator community, including faculty, staff members, coaches and mentors who are here to support you

Campus resources are also available: 

1Equity and Community Inclusion 

1Counseling and Psychological Services  

1Dean of Students Office 

The well-being of the SF State campus community remains our priority.  

Sincerely, 

Jamillah Moore, Ed.D. 

Vice President for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management”

Why do I get the feeling the bit in bold isn't exactly aimed at people who might share the same views as Riley Gaines?

There is also no science to suggest that "transwomen" who have not undergone male puberty do not have an advantage over women. There is no science either way because this kind of quackery - perfoming experiments on children - is very recent.

In any case it is irrelevant. If a male sprinter loses his leg in accident and the prosthetic makes him run slower, approximately the same times as elite female sprinters, should he go in the female category? No. Womens sports are not for biological males who are underperforming for whatever reason. It is an insult to women to suggest that womens sports should be a dumping ground for men who are underperforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If repeatedly screaming 'fcuk you' a foot away from an anti-trans protestor's face is acceptable nowadays, I assume it's acceptable for people to repeatedly scream 'fcuk you' a foot away from a trans person's face now, is it?

"Your words are violence, their violence is speech", is a mantra that's been applied to them for awhile now for good reason. Any attempts to find reason with these types is utterly pointless, even though we try. Reason doesn't matter, the truth doesn't matter, power at any costs is all that matters.

Swimming is clearly her passion and she's been training and competing since the age of 8 apparently. So, to see the amount of work she put into the sport being casually tossed aside by [not allowing transgenders to compete in sport], I completely see where she is coming from.

This exact same prose applies to trans athletes.

You seem predisposed to simply vilify and demonize and engage in demagoguery everyone you disagree with on this issue.

If a male sprinter loses his leg in accident and the prosthetic makes him run slower, approximately the same times as elite female sprinters, should he go in the female category? 

Where in the hell do you get this example from?

Has there ever been, in the history of the world, a male athlete who entered a womens competition because they lost their leg?

I was hoping we could stick to reality.

You seem predisposed to simply vilify and demonize and engage in demagoguery everyone you disagree with on this issue.

The belief that political violence is just once the targets are the right ones, is all but factual. You and others on this thread and many other threads prove my point every time you downplay, deny or try to justify said actions. Condemnation does not exist as a concept to people within your ideological circle. I've literally never once seen any condemnation from any of you,; not for the sexual content aimed at kids, the violence from trans protesters, the riots that burned down cities, and any other act deemed wrong or illegal. You can label is as you like, but it's true all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Difference is the trans athletes who compete in womens sports have an unfair advantage by being biologically male.

They are the ones who are the exception, they are the ones who are the minority, they are the ones who have an unfair advantage therefore they are the ones in a sensible society who would be chosen to be excluded.

When you have to make a decision you pick the least worst option, the last worst option in this instance is clearly excluding transgender women.

Where in the hell do you get this example from?

Has there ever been, in the history of the world, a male athlete who entered a womens competition because they lost their leg?

What's under discussion is the suggestion that biological males who take puberty blockers at a young age should be allowed to enter womens sports as adults, on the grounds that they "skipped puberty" and thus don't have the same performance advantage over women as a normal male.

To simplify the statement, men who are underperforming due to medical intervention should go in the womens category.

You talk about sticking to reality...well the fact that we are even having this discussion is frankly ludicrous. Womens sports are for women - actual women.

• Advertisement

[not allowing transgenders to compete in sport]

Nobody's banning them from competing, people just think sport should be segregated by sex, not gender.

You know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Look up Fallon Fox's [A Man that didn't transition to Female until his 30s. And then started competing in MMA] MMA fights and see if Men who transition to Women should be allowed to compete in Women's sports.

If a guy believes he's meant to be a Woman. Fine go ahead, but compete as the Gender you were born as or don't compete at all.

Burning down cities?

Youve lost the hinges. What burned down cities?

Lia Thomas didn’t burn down a city. She won a race and you’re equivocating them, and other trans persons competition in sport to wanton violence. Grab a hold of something.

That’s the decision the new Biden rule takes

You think that little 11 year old girl in TN, the only trans kid in her sport, should have a league of one?

which one is this?

I know of the case in West Virginia where the trans kid “has lived as a girl in all aspects of her life for years and receives puberty-delaying treatment and estrogen hormone therapy, so has not experienced (and will not experience) endogenous puberty,” In that case I'd have no problem, and I'd say the vast vast majority of people would have no problem with her competing with / against other girls.

I saw another trans girl from Texas mentioned, not sure what sport they play, if any. If they're on puberty blockers they should be able to play with the girls, if not they should play with the boys, or if there's no boys team choose a different sport.

• Advertisement

that's the one, paywall free link: https://wapo.st/41hHiqM

The same distinctions you're making are also in the Biden draft rule.

Which is why it's so frustrating that Republicans absolutely are lashing out at it, for them it's total bans or else, and I think you and I agree apropos to all the above they are being a bit unreasonable, and frankly are twisting it into culture war issues not really concerned with the spirit of ensuring sports are sporting, but more with the societal ostracizing of trans persons and their personal ideologies across the board. All that warped logic that trans existence = erasing women.

As a reminder to any numpties who think trans existence erases women such as JK Rowling ("the lived experiences of women" etc), uh, it's been 54 years since the Stonewall riots and you still have hetero existences and life experiences. The gays never erased you or me either. They trotted this same logic out in the decades past to try and ban miscegenation, interracial and gay marriages too.

Has anyone else here read the Biden rule yet or have I been talking to a wall on that.

You mean the Biden rules discussed here

Basically they seem to align with the way most sports are going anyway. It would seem to allow banning biological males who have gone through puberty from female categories of sport on competitive or risk of injury grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The reality is that male puberty gives transwomen a huge physical advantage when it comes to sports. An unfair advantage. And that's why transwomen shouldn't compete against biological females.

If a transwoman never goes through puberty as a result of taking puberty blockers, I think they wouldn't have an unfair physical advantage so I'd probably be ok with that. Although I would have a problem with prescribing puberty blockers to prepubescent kids unless it was absolutely medically necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Lexi says the decision is unfair. The women feel its unfair they have to compete against a biological man. For Lexi to compete means the unfairness gets pushed onto others. There's no situation where both sides can win in this ongoing conundrum

• Advertisement

historically the little people being discriminated against win in the end.

The white folk who 'feel it's unfair they have to compete against negros' lost their appeals in the end, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

She’s saying he had his penis exposed in the changing area. And 2 years before that it would be a crime for a man to expose his penis in a female changing room? Seems pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Money locked website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not sure why you keep on bringing race into it other than to ramp up the emotions, the scenarios are not comparable unless you believe there is no athletic difference between males and females and that you only want a single open category for all sports (all weights, all disabilities, all genders).

"As the governing body, we acknowledge we’re still on a path of education and understanding."

As I've said before, eugenicists etc thought they had a lot figured out a century ago. A lot of poor decisions were made as a result.

A lot of plebes similarly think they are armchair experts about gender-specific lung capacity etc. today.

Seems comparable to me.

Here the body indicates they are making a decision on shaky principle that is open to being changed in the future. Hell they don't actually give any specificity on the nature of their ruling ("accounting for and balancing a range of factors"). History, as I said, will eventually repeat itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ffs you don't need to be an expert on anything to know that there are physical differences between males and females, and many of those differences lead to athletic advantages. Humans have known this since of the dawn of time and nothing has changed. Anyone trying to deny this is living in cloud cuckoo land. Ideology does not trump basic biological facts

Many millennia fewer's worth of information on trans athleticism however.

Eugenicists? Really? you're really circling the drain on this one Overheal, trying to tug on heartstrings does not help your argument due to it's reductive nature.

Actually, show that the weight/disability/gender category are influenced by eugenics and build up from there.

You're the only one getting emotional. I simply pointed out the rhythm of history, citing modern example.

You're constantly bringing in the negro leagues and now eugenics, they are in no way comparable with gender, weight and disability category in modern sports unless you are also claiming that sports bodies are racist eugenicists and rather than actually presenting an argument that it is comparable to the negro leagues you're now claiming other users are getting emotional. Now you're down in the drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement