Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

just to say nothing has changed

Richie Reid

fogarty

deegan

donnely

ryan

keoghan

buckley

Walter

hogan

either Not good enough or gone past it

but the big problem is lyng can’t see it

I could tell you 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

And replace them with who exactly? This perception that we have ready made replacements is outrageous. One of our subs today is 18. Kenny? Clifford?

Nobody has put their hand up and said they're ready. We don't have the depth to replace the losses of Carey, Maher, Leahy and Browne from the panel let alone the notion that we can drop another 9 players

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Can you name the 9 replacements for when Lyng drops them please

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Good man. What 9 replacements would you bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Unfortunately we don't have the replacement, that's why we are stuck with the players we have. Could be another 5 years before we win an All Ireland again given our results at underage, bar the u20s from last year what is coming through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Even more than us, Derek Lyng, his management and all of the players will be feeling it badly after today.

If it was hard for us to watch it was surely gut wrenching for lyng.

I've no doubt they will leave no stone unturned in trying to rectify the problems that were evident today. Championship starts shortly and here's hoping we can prime ourselves to change things around between now and whenever we meet that Limerick team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭kk.man

Nail on the head here. We don't have these phantom replacements.

Of the 4 you mentioned there, Carey is a big loss in terms of physicality and pace. Hopefully he'll return to the fold at some stage

Unlikely considering what's going on in the background. How do you come back to that shitshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

I said here a few days ago that only Huw Lawlor and, when fit, Adrian Mullen and TJ, would make the Limerick team. The replacements aren't there to make a difference. Maybe age has caught up with Padraig Walsh, Conor Delaney might be better at this stage. A number of our players can do better than today such as Donnelly, Billy Ryan, Cian Kenny. Not sure if Eoin Cody has played too much hurling the last 2 years.

Up to 55 minutes, we were 5 points down having had a couple of half chances to create goals. Scruff hit a puckout to Lk for a point, a minute later Lk got a goal and game over.

What we can improve on is our ball distribution and the quality of ball into our forwards. But at the moment, we don't have the players to match Lk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Jesus I'm not sure what you can learn getting beaten by 12 points only that you aren't at the level required. They would do the same again if they played again and against every other hurling team in Ireland right now.

I was expecting Kilkenny to put it up to Limerick today but the gulf in class was crystal clear to see. Limerick could have won by more only for being so wasteful towards the end. No team are beating them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Im sick of short puck outs going back over our bar.we got back in the match last year by pucking it down on wally and tj and the same when we beat them in 19.so go with what works.also why do we let them go short with no challenge. Management need too learn and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've been cleaned out by teams going for long puckouts so often the last few years particularly against the likes of Waterford and Wexford. Also we quite simply didn't have the players on the pitch to hit it in long. It might be an option if TJ and Wally were on the pitch but they weren't.

Our puckouts do need to be better though, hitting it short to the full backline didn't work with the players either unable to pick out the pass or unwilling to try and run the ball up the pitch. I'd like to see Brennan get a few matches in goal at this stage for his puckouts alone. He seems better able to aim them to players further out than the full backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Watching Kilkenny over 40 years, probably the worst defeat I remember since Galway in 1986.

Not so much that Limerick are clearly a better team, but there was no fight in Kilkenny. Such a change from last July. Post TJ isn't pretty.

It's hard to judge Lyng on one game. But that type of performance isn't acceptable in a county like Kilkenny. Shefflin could be moving south late 2023. Modern tactics etc are great to have but if you don't bring work rate and will to win they are meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't want to read too much into one match, and calling for nine lads to be dropped and the manager to leave over a league match before he had ever managed a single championship game is mental.

Buti agree with the last poster: whatever about the performance, the lack of battle was just unacceptable and the one thing that really depressed me about today. When we play Galway later this month there had better be a huge reaction from this team. If they aren't hurt by that performance they would be better off packing it in.

I didn't see a lack of fight personally. Once the second goal went in I seen a lack of composure and I seen a bunch of players playing as individuals who just didn't know how to play around Limerick. It was men against boys really. We had very little experience or leadership of any merit on the field and we just didn't have any answers.

You also have to credit Limerick and appreciate that they really had no respect or fear of our defenders on the ball. Lawlor carried the ball past halfway at one stage and they just backed off and let him come. If that's Byrnes we have to press him from his own 45 as he just splits the post 95% of the time.

Just to pick up on a few things you mentioned. I'm in no way disrespecting anyone who plays inter county hurling because everyone involved gives so much but conor delaney is not the answer to replace padraig walsh. Conor doesn't have the pace of for example butler so he wouldn't be out with his man. If you're not a tigrish defender who is able to be right with a corner forward then it'll be the same result.

I agree re Cody. The touch and speed is just not there at the minute. If we are trusting Billy drennan with a corner forward slot then he needs to contribute more from open play. He's young and excellent on the frees but we need more. That goes for all of our forwards. Blanchfield got a savage baptism today against Limerick and that will do him no harm at all. Physically not a team in Ireland can match Limerick currently so we have to up every facet of our game

Of course you take lessons from an 11 point loss in a final....what's the alternative? Accept it and shrug the shoulders?

Implementing what you learn is a whole other ball game in terms of having the personnel, ability and drive to carry them through.

Limerick are very strong right now, and I wouldn't at all be surprised for them to win the AI this year, but to suggest other teams should accept their own shortcomings, sit back and admire them is a load of b@lls.

Plenty of good young hurlers out there

get back to what kilkenny is all about skilled hurlers

kilkenny Hurling destroyed by Brian Cody

more important that you can run than hurl

now we pay the price for his philosophy

Then we turn to someone that had no experience in managing a team playing his club mate showed that

corcoran for fogarty

Gaffney for keoghan

Herty For Reid

john Walsh for Walter

evan Cody for buckley

conor Delaney he the best of full back line in league he left out

There is also 2 or 3 from last year under 20

lyng had great chance to build his own team

instead he tried to patch things up

lis Howard made a statement many years ago that Brian Cody would destroy kilkenny hurling everyone said she was just a bad loser but how right she was

Then you here bring back Cody

after the last 7 years of puke hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

You didn't notice that TJ and Walter weren't on the field today?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Firstly you play a game that suits the player's you have.mikey butler for example is a great defender but not one for short puck outs IMO.on the other side why do we not press the limerick full back line on their puck out puck outs.

I have to say you absolutely have the right to your opinion but some of your analysis?? Just pure follly. Last 7 years- puke hurling? Leaving out the fact that Cody won more all irelands than any other manager he came to within a couple of points in last years all ireland. Get a grip. I'll admit some matches in the last number of years we played into our opponents hands but you're way off there.

On you're possible replacements.

Evan Cody has had chances and not taken them.

Corcoran has had chances this year when he returned from club action and didn't shine. He needs another year or 2.

Heary for reid. I'm presuming you mean heary. He hasn't played himself onto the team and reid is a better option currently.

John Walsh for Walter? Maybe, maybe not. he needs the games.

Gaffney for mossy. Possibly.

Conor Delaney. Not better than any of the 3 that started today.

If you follow club hurling the last few years give me 15 players that are not on the panel that you think should be.

• Slight bit of over reaction there Chief. The reality is you got well beaten by an exceptional team. It could have been an awful lot worse if Gillane didn't make such a bollix of alot of the frees and Hegarty had an off day.

A small bit of perspective is needed. You can't be No.1 all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Funny enough one of the most glaring tactical problems was the bizarre decision was to give gillane so much space. This was true in the first half and a blind man could see it but nothing was done about it. If you're not going to mark the best full forward line player in the country tightly you are not going to win, end of. This also should end the debate about where to play Lawler, I love him at cb but it's a luxury we can't afford.

Conor Delaney way above any of the 3 in my opinion

last 7 years lost 3 all irelands

2016 stood on side line with arms folded done nothing when tipp destroying us

noting to do with he picked his own son who had no right to be there and also picked Jackie and he not fit to play

2019 no idea what to do when down to 14

lucky last year only one of the greatest performances out of tj that I ever saw

he had the greatest team ever that includes this Limerick team

when fogarty went he had no idea

When I said Corcoran it’s the midfielder who has being outstanding for shamrocks midfield

I not over reaction I telling you for a long time kilkenny not good enough

but playing players that are gone past it a waste of time

there is plenty of good young hurlers to build a team

Sorry about puke hurling packing your defence and just hit the ball up in the air to me is puke hurling

we have depended on the genius of the greatest hurler ever in Tj

go back to last years all Ireland and anyone who put out the midfield 2 village players

who were so far of the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

First thing that has to happen is Eoin Murphy gone , saying it with 5 years he just can't play the "quarterback roll " that's needed from your goalkeeper now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

One of the worst aspects of a big defeat when building a team is it throws all your plans.

I never saw Padraig Walsh as a corner back on hard ground. We could see he was losing pace in more central positions. Where to play him.

There was no shape to the forwards and ball was flying out towards the Kilkenny backs. You need some sort of focal point at centre and full forward. TJ will man full forward I presume. But he'll end up plugging holes everywhere.

Conor Fogarty looks like he's gone. Like Bonnar Maher of Tipp mileage catches up. Billy Drennan is a year or two away from competing with men of that size and power. Huw Lawlor will move to fb.

That's an exceptional Limerick team and Kilkenny, and most counties haven't the players to compete at the moment. The remnants of Galway 2017 gave them a fair game last year but they're kind of in transition.

Advertisement