Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If you can afford the LR, I think it’s the way to go. As tech improves, range will be more critical and a LR should be a lot more desirable as a used car in a few years time. AWD Dual Motor also nice to have. Public charging will be a mess here for a long while yet, best avoided if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not with that battery chemistry thank you Tesla 👍️

LR not going to hold its relative value as well as RWD until the LR gets onboard with the newer battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I think the Tesla LR MY is the only big battery AND AWD that qualifies for the gov grant, at its cheapest its 53K

VW ID4 GTX : from 66K

The Kia EV6 GT : 80K ?

Audi Q4 etron Quattro : 77K

Polestar P2 LR Dual motor : 65K

For Mustang MachE : 85K

In this context its a bargain ( assuming you can deal with its looks and the minimal interior style )

The RWD MY is good value still but the competition is closer money wise IMO

Post edited by celtic_oz on

I understand your point in relation to LFP but a small battery is likely to be cycled a lot more. Given current 2023 sales numbers, they’ll be a lot more RWD cars available on the future used market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

People will always want the bigger batteries in cars in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Thanks everyone for the referral links - is there a way to apply a referral link to an existing order which was initially placed without one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, RWD in Blue. It's so far ahead of my previous ID3, it's hard to believe. I'm surprised also how quickly I got used to the 1-pedal driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Nice, the blue looks great on the Y imo. What’s your thoughts on range ? 370km at 100km/h, 280 at 120km/h give or take?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

I took the MYLR over the RWD as i will be more comfortable with having the bigger battery over the next 3 years.

points for MYLR AWD over MY RWD

80km more range

higher max charging rate

Four wheel drive for better control.

better acceleration

it only cost €5k more than RWD version , so less than 10% extra.

As pointed out above, no other model has that small a price differential to go from RWD to AWD.

i think all the above points will help keep residuals up when selling on.

but i would have been quiet happy to sit into the RWD if it came to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BK1975

Not sure on the 5k delta price, I see it as 6900 eur 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eankuba

I would correct here on 2 points. It does cost about 7300 extra if you see price breakdown. Also with 19 inch wheels you get 110 km extra (look right above the wheels on the website, the range is 565 km. It is a glitch on their website). That 110 km extra is what pushed me towards changing my order to MYLR from MY RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Carcharonjuice

This is why we went LR too. Buying all the battery we can afford plus 19” wheels gives a (claimed) range of 565 km.

i have it on good authority from a MY LR owner I know locally that they get 500-520km in summer and anywhere from 400-440km in winter depending on conditions / driving style

Assuming we get the same it makes it the perfect family car for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

This suspension concerns me.. have a MY RWD on order, silver, April-Jun delivery (which I'll prob change to blue to see if a Vin is assigned earlier) but I have 3 miles of badly surfaced B road to home.. its not great on the OHs VW, and worse in my current Audi, so if the MY is this bad it'd drive us nuts every day! I had thought following the previous discussions on the new suspension it'd be fine... But Gabbo and Pádraig Mór if you find it bad, it might be really bad on this stretch!

Maybe cheeky, would any new MY owners in Waterford area fancy checking with / for me? If anyone in this forum.. please Pm if might be a possibility - hate to find out after the fact..😟, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dublin24987

For me, I prefer LR because AWD offers more driving experience and is safer.

Maybe consider hiring one from UFO drive for a day ? Not cheap but might be money well spent if it’s not the car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not for mun1, it wasn't. He got a set of inductions included for free. But he's getting worried recently in case Kelly comes down in the dead of night to reclaim them and he finds the car up on blocks in the morning.

This is something that confuses me. If tesla thinks/says you get 565kmwith the 19" wheels, does that mean they did the WLTP tests with 20" wheels? If so, why would they do that test with wheels that were going to have less range?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

I think they did the WLTP test with both the wheels. Its just a bug on the website. If tou select RED and change the tyres from 19 to 20. You’ll see the headline range change. But in case of LR, it just shows at the option. I confirmed it by calling them because I wanted to be absolutely sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

In terms of residual (I presume this means resale value) if I was a consumer who researched these things...

What would I rather have... A X year old car with a battery that maintains it's charge much better (LFP) with say 5% degradation or a LR who has degraded by 15% or more?

Is it a "Long Range"any more at that stage? 🤔

I think for my needs the RWD is the one for me, but that's mainly due to the young family "stop every 2 hours to pee/eat/change nappy/all of the above" 😂

Either way, it's a nice "problem" to have. 😀

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyvr5

MY RWD vs LR

-RWD will cover most journeys with ease even my 90 mile daily commute round trip will be a breeze .

- RWD also has 255mm width tyres meaning it will have serious grip the majority of the time .

- Speed limits in Ireland are v restrictive hard to keep a 200hp car under speed limit MY RWD has ~300hp 220kW.Will be faster than the majority of traditional ICE cars should be as quick as BMW 530D.

-LFP battery in RWD can take more abuse and is good for 3-4x the number of cycles compared to LR NCA battery .can/must be charged to 100% more often.Rwd may suit someone who wants to keep car say 10 yrs as battery will last better than LR

-Long spins are overestimated by most I can count on one hand my trips away to Galway Kerry cork during the year.After 2 hrs driving a pitstop is usually required for most humans.With superfast charging you can be away quickly even if slightly less speed than LR battery is smaller.

In my case 98% of the time the RWD is sufficient to do the job with no charging stops.

LR good for those who cross country daily or weekly and enthusiasts who want supercar rivalling big power.

New RWD uses less energy on the commute as more efficient with only one motor ,good with electricity prices through roof .

Residuals -both LR and Rwd should hold up well as competition weak.LR rarer so less supply puts second hand price up.however with age LFP battery in RWD will be more desirable so it's much of a muchness between the two.

LR higher sticker price suits cash buyers as current interest rates high.

-

Post edited by jimmyvr5 on

I have a round trip I need to do in Ireland once a week, 320km - 360km. There is 1 fast charger on the route that I could use, but I like the convenience of not having to factor it in to my planning because sometimes there is very little spare time in the trip. The LR should be able to do that all year round in all weathers.

There is also a 389km leg we have to do in Europe in the summer with only an A/C charger en route. We'll be more relaxed doing that in an LR than a RWD.

I think it unlikely that you'll get 400km+ out of an RWD on a long trip where you would be presumably doing a mixture of 100/120 ?

You get what you pay for in direct proportion to what you get Why is the difference between RWD and AWD so much money?

I do agree that most people including me might have been fine with an RWD with awesome LFP batteries. It was a tough call. Still with an infant, I need my peace of mind. Maybe I miss an exit and have to travel another 30 - 40 km in cold weather while coming back from Dublin was my final thought while ordering.

First time ev buyer so I have no idea how worse/non existent my range anxiety will be. Also I figured LR might sell for at least 3-4 k more in used car market so basically I’ll be spending 3-4k extra for longer range and better performance during my 5-6 year possession. AWD might be handy in some winter days maybe. No??

Paying for the 2nd motor and bigger battery.

On both km range per euro and km/h acceleration per euro, the LR is slightly better value than the RWD I think?

Where is the 5% V 15% degradation figures coming from?

If safety is more important than value for money, go for 4WD, otherwise go for 2WD

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyvr5

Some over on Tesla owners Ireland are achieving 350 to 370kms with the RWD Y in the last month @110kph which has been pretty cold.In depths of winter close to 300km should be possible.With your high mileage runs it would appear the LR would give better peace of mind.The majority will only do these long runs a few times a year and the RWD will be more than sufficient for their needs.Its very much case specific.

Post edited by jimmyvr5 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Extrapolated from a few sources. Sorry I tried to post a link but boards says I'm not allowed to yet.

Happy to be proven wrong! 😀

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

Advertisement