Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

I would be surprised if they brought McKee or Harry Byrne as they will need them for Toulouse, so I imagine they will want them training with the first team for the next three weeks to be aware of the game plan. Maybe the same with Larmour and/or Deegan.

Lasisi could travel as another TH and the soon to be departed Sean O'Brien as back row, which could free Ruddock to cover Second Row.

I hope Frawley travels as he needs game time if he is to have a chance to make Farrel's world cup squad as a utility back.

Max O'Reilly as Full Back is the only other one I can think of who might travel, and he could free up Larmour to stay in Dublin.

It's going to be a tough couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You need two hoovers for stuff like scrum training.

Does anyone know when Kelleher is due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

They'll just have to suck it up........😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Not sure I agree with the thinking of keeping Larmour at home in case Lowe might be unavailable. He's behind others at the moment. Getting a run down in SA is probably the best thing for him. He can travel and still slot in for Lowe for the semi if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Makes sense to me him staying home. Potential injury in sa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They can always send Larmour, H Byrne, Henshaw down for the first game and bring them back. Lions should be the easier game but three weeks is a long lay off for players on their positions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure if McKee sails down. If Kelleher is still out, that makes McKee next up. Treacy retiring is a kick in the teeth. I think that Barron may be chucked in the deep end and maybe GMcC travels as the back up.

I wouldn't risk Larmour. He's picked up an injury anyway.

I think it will be a fallow selection. Is this the moment to see what Frawley can do at outhalf? It's a fine opportunity for him to show his playmaking skills. Boyle will get an opportunity too. Clarkson should also be dumped into the deep end. Let's see where he is against a big monstrosity of a pack.

The result means nothing. There's no need to play anyone near the 1st 23, except Frawley. I'd give Brownlee the start also. If Soroka is healthy he goes right in alongside Deeny. With the altitude, humidity and the heat, a loss is on the cards. No harm in using these last too matches to get the nippers into the melee. Why not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Players also get injured in training...

Having limited gametime is a risk as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The semi final is confirmed for Saturday the 29th of April. Hopefully we'll have a few injury returns by then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Altitude sure, but it should be dry with temperatures in the high teens for the two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Toulouse would have a better chance against La Rochelle than Leinster would. Toulouse keep the ball alive more than Leinster do, so La Rochelle's steals on the deck wouldn't come into play as much.

I wonder if there's any chance of McCarthy being back for the Final if Leinster get there. His power and handling ability could be very useful against La Rochelle. I think he's a more potent player than Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McCarthy was mentioned as out for upto 2 months on 27 February.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agree with that. I am pretty deflated after watching La Rochelle this evening, they can definitely suffocate Leinster again.

Leinster have definitely upped their physicality this season. James Ryan in particular is developing into that hard nosed bruiser we require. The signing of Jenkins has also improved our set piece game.

Leinster are playing more direct, I think, in anticipation of the challenges they'll face in the later stages of the CC and URC. If we lose, we lose. But I don't think it'll be down to a lack of physicality.

My only worry is the injury to Ryan Baird. He has been a big player this season. He brings speed and physicality to blindside flanker that Doris had last season, while also allowing the latter to move to his favoured position. We could really do with him being fit for the Toulouse game, although that seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm a pessemistic **** at the best of times, I know but getting past Toulouse first in their current form and then La Rochelle (presumably) in a final is a huge ask. Like, Toulouse LAR and Leinster are far and away the best three teams in the competition and any could beat any of the other two on a day, but still. If Sexton was fit, I'd obviously be far more confident, but he won't be. Ultimately, I think we'll fall short, and I don't really think it matters in which game we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Think Leinster will win it myself. Two very tough tests ahead but we can beat anyone, especially at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Home advantage will be the difference for Leinster . Definitely need VDF,Lowe and Baird fit. I think the Toulouse game is trickier than LAR ( assuming they win their semi) . Not sure how Leinster will handle Meafou this time ,seems like he is getting bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Not sending H.Byrne to SA for fear of him getting injured seems a bit pointless when the alternative is him not starting a game for 5 weeks come the Toulouse game. If Ross got injured and Harry had to start/come on early against Toulouse, he'd be extremely short of match sharpness.

Harry would have started 4 games over the course of 13 weeks, surely he needs at least another start to be considered a realistic option. If Frawley played in SA, did well and came back unscathed, he'd nearly be a better option as backup 10 at that stage. Harry needs to play the first game, bring him back after it.

LAR, would be the favorites. Serious team. It's a huge ask to play both of these sides and win both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Heard that James Henry and Ciaran Dyson are being brought from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Nobody close to the first team is travelling to SA. It is a lot academy players and 3rd/4th choice players.

LAR looked scarily physical today. Will be a huge task to get past Toulouse and win the final, if they can get past Toulouse.

Skelton out maybe for the semi. Huge loss. After him I can't see anyone more physical than us?

I know toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They're not.

Leinster are still bookies' favourites and in fact our odds on winning the tournament have shortened considerably over the weekend.

While I agree but yet disagree to a certain extent, LAR are a serious team. They'll be in the final.

Against toulouse we need possession. Keep it away from their crazy fast players. Tire them out, make the forwards run. Easier said than done, but I'm confident of a final.

Leinster are the best drilled side in Europe. No other side has the handling ability or lines of running off of phase play.

In the past they've fallen short against a suffocating, rush defence that doesn't let the first receiver have the time required to make the gain line carry/linking pass.

I do think this time might be different. The players have upped their physicality and the signing of Jenkins has helped also. But losing Sexton is the big worry. I'm just not sure a JGP/Byrne duo can make the decisive difference in a close contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Toulouse handling out the backs to the edges was pretty good in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster are completely unbackable. They're 4/9 to win the comp on PP while LaR are 4/1. I think we can all agree that is a total nonsense if you translate it in to probabilities.

Advertisement