Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest merchant charges?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:25pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know who are the cheapest for card merchant services?

The cheapest I have found was:
    12c per contactless payment
    17c per debit card transaction

€22 rental per month per terminal
    €20 minimum charge

I'm sure that there will be at least 100 transactions so the minimum charge is sort of irrelevant.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

How good a deal you get is going to depend on your volume the bigger the more likely you are going to be able to get a reduced rate. If its <20k a month I doubt they'll get too excited but over that there might be some wiggle room.

Those numbers look pretty decent though. That's obviously not the only thing to consider you want to make sure they are going to pay in a reasonable time and have decent customer service too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mr. G wrote: »

€20 minimum charge

I'm sure that there will be at least 100 transactions so the minimum charge is sort of irrelevant.

Thanks

Is there a percentage on top of those rates, they look suspiciously low?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

€20 minimum charge

Thanks

(All Credit Cards are charged as a %, only Debit cards operate on a flat fee basis)

Just to give you an indication of what wiggle room is available.....

I pay :

.69% for standard Visa cards
    .93% for Mastercards
    12c per transaction for Visa Debit > €15
    And 7.8c per transaction < €15

No minimum Charge and €20 rental

Streamline is the Merchant via Ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What about new services such as square. Are these guys not shaking up the traditional merchant account robbery.

https://squareup.com/global/en-gb/register

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Here they are:

Paymentplus
    Visa credit: 1.4%
    Mastercard: 1.45%
    Debit: 21c
    €22 p/m per terminal
    No minimum
    Setup is €150
    Rates fixed and support monday - sunday

IOCsave
    Visa debit: 17c
    Visa credit: 1.15%
    Mastercard: 1.17%
    Contactless/Under €15: 12c
    €20 p/m per terminal
    Minimum monthly of €22
    Setup is €99
    Includes support but no 100% on fixed rates?

Both are on a 3 year contract, have warranty and support, €140 cancellation fee on both.

What do you think? We haven't an estimated transaction number or anything as it's hard to estimate. Those were the figures we were given.

• Advertisement

Bandara wrote: »
    (All Credit Cards are charged as a %, only Debit cards operate on a flat fee basis)

Just to give you an indication of what wiggle room is available.....

I pay :

.69% for standard Visa cards
    .93% for Mastercards
    12c per transaction for Visa Debit > €15
    And 7.8c per transaction < €15

No minimum Charge and €20 rental

Streamline is the Merchant via Ulster bank

But are you putting a lot of transactions through?

Wow, Squares rates are insanely high. Absolute daylight robbery ! 2.75% !!!!

INSANE

2.75%
    Per swipe, online sale, or paid Square Invoice

Pay one price for every swipe, online sale, and paid invoice. Accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express all at the same rate.
    Get deposits in your bank account in one to two business days.
    Swipe $100, see $97.25 deposited into your bank account in one to two business days.

3.5% + 15¢
    Per manually entered transaction

Pay one price for every keyed-in transaction.
    Accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express all at the same rate.
    Get deposits in your bank account in one to two business days.

Key in $100, see $96.35 deposited into your bank account in one to two business days.

But are you putting a lot of transactions through?

Yes huge volume

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

listermint wrote: »
    What about new services such as square. Are these guys not shaking up the traditional merchant account robbery.

https://squareup.com/global/en-gb/register

They're shaking it up in terms of showing others just how much you can charge people these days and get away with it!

These systems are good for pop ups or people doing a market a couple of times a month and want to take cards but they are normally too expensive to use on a regular basis. I have a sumup unit which is a flat 1.95% with no monthly its a handy back up unit and good for low value transactions but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Anyone used RMS (retail merchant services)? I'm thinking of swapping but havent heard much on them. Another consideration to think about is how long it takes for funds to be transferred.

• Advertisement

Went with iocsave in the end. All went very smoothly, they came out and did everything. Can't fault really, a lot cheaper than AIB merchant services were. Ulsterbank couldn't do cheaper

Found paymentplus to be very very pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RickN

Trying to cancel with paymentplus and this happened. after a 14 months of the contract signed I needed to cancel it and was told that I had another two years to go, which I was not aware of. The promise by the sales representative Matthew was that if I cancelled within the one year I have €140 penalty of which I knew, but it turns out if I had to cancel after the year I have to pay the remainder of an extra two years contract that I didn't know I signed up for. My mistake was not reading the full entirety of the contact after trusting our provisional agreement that the contract was for one year and the €140 if cancelled earlier.

In my previous contract with Elavon, it was one year and I was able to cancel if needed after with no penalties. They just asked to package the machine for them to pick it up. Straightforward.

With payment plus I'm shelving the machine while paying €30/m for the next two years.

Lesson to learn, READ THE SMALL PRINT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Bank Of Ireland have launched with some monthly flat fee packages http://www.boipa.com/home/

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

Among all these merchant services (Chase, Clover, Moneris, Evalon, Square, etc.) which one is value for money & less headache for business owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

I went with Payzone for the cheapest rates, Super Payments in the UK looks interesting if they launch here.

Advertisement