Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 3) Arklow (15th Apr @11:40am)

Options
  • 31-03-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058285717/boards-golf-society-2023-round-2-rosslare-25th-mar-12-30pm/p1 )

Welcome to the third round at Arklow Golf Club.

Arklow will complete the opening set of three historic links courses for the links swing part of this season before we head inland for the summer series.

Arklow Golf Club is celebrating their centenary year in 2027. The first three courses of the year were founded a combined total of 331 years ago [staggeringly over 5.5 break80's 😛])

As predicted the wind was very much a deciding factor for Rosslare -Perhaps thrown a bit by the 4 club challenge on his home course, blue note got it together and scored very well early on, and after the turn did just enough to keep it together to hold on to the lead for the return stretch into the wind back to the clubhouse.

Take note of the date as there's a shorter lead-in period for this round. Pricing is €50. I expect the booking system to open on clubnet shortly, and will update when it has. Again this one is a new course to me and if anyone has a course guide or tips please feel free to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Another course I really like, I try to play it a couple of times per year as it is relatively close to me. I think it is quite straightforward, and even if I know it I never manage to do any score on it.

I might be able to play it as I wasn't selected for the Pierce Purcell match on that day.

Thanks again for the course selection captain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

3D Flythroughs here - https://vimeo.com/channels/1815871

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

I don’t know if I’m set up or what not, but I’d love to make it to arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Do you have the clubnet app installed Poppy? Thought you played in Portmarnock with us the first year we used it, but I could be mixing up the years.

If not, drop a PM to SeveOB and he should be able to re-activate you

You have an account, all you need to do is pay the subs for 2023, top up your purse and you can book. Send me a pm if you get stuck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will definitely try to get to this, as it may be the last one for a few months. Think i'll miss May and June anyway, hopefully back for July, so really need to get down for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

enjoy it lads, Arklow is a nice track. Kind of a hybrid links but very enjoyable from my recollection

sorry to be missing this one, but I'll be watching closely

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Stuck myself down on first tee time.Will need to get back early so unfortunately will miss post match post mortems😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That’s a pity as Arklow has to be one of the most friendliest clubs you will ever visit and the food is lovely there.

have played it twice now and looking forward to going down again.

Oh I will get food alright..never fear😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Wont be around for this one - a long story - but walking a hill. Big college get together.

I love this course - it wouldn't be very different to Rosslare - but I do think Arklow is actually harder - as there are far more hazards , and you actually need a bit of course strategy for a few holes that have , drains and carry and water and even OB.

It isn't fully a Links - and about 5 of the holes on the west side towards end of the round - are more in a Rock face. There is a great mix of holes and lengths. Again - it is not a course that is overly rewarding of length.

The Jug last year was to be held here - but was washed out.

Enjoy -catch all in "Round 4" - this "round" thing seems to have stuck.

Whilst I probably had enough of it in Wexford - this one, would be a great one for a town stay over.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Missing for this one , annual jaunt to Kerry.

See you in Cavan, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Hoping I won't be too late to book a tee time on Tuesday. I have to top up my purse and book in.

Don't want to miss this one

It’s open now for booking I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Looking forward to the round in Arklow. Got down there last year for the pre-Jug practise round only for the course to be washed away before the Jug match.

Loved the course though and looking forward to being back. As Fix said, there's a few holes that feel more parkland than links on the back 9. It's a nice mix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Got purse topped up and booked today Golfgraffix, many thanks. Great job on the course guide again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

Look what I can accross

Inside 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

A musical note from the blues apparently. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Slots still available for Arklow next Saturday. Please get any last bookings in quickly any unfilled slots will be given back to the course after this weekend.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Better a blue note than a brown note I guess!

I'll book mine tonight, once i know for sure i can make it 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I booked in earlier in the week but I'm after getting a call up to play for the club in the Pierce Purcell, well on the panel anyway. I'm hoping the match won't be on Saturday but there is a small chance it will be. I'll hopefully know more during the week but still planning on playing Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make this one anymore. Apologies but I will see you at the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Looking forward to getting back to boards next weekend , played my first counting comp of 2023 yesterday and while my score didn’t reflect how I felt I played it’s good to start chipping away at the handicap again for another season!! ( it went the wrong way after yesterday …….) played Dundrum ….greens were very fast but anything off fairway was touch and go for mud balls so a tough enough day to start with.

This 1 is a long spin for the Southerners but well worth it by the sounds of it.

PP

Will be my first round of golf since the disaster (for me) that was Rosslare, so this should be interesting 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You should have seen me play Athlone yesterday!!! Disaster!!!

• Advertisement

Played well enough on Mr.Powers home track over the weekend.

Looking forward to another links course and hopefully some boards points

Advertisement