Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The past 2 days were lovely, probably the only decent dry and Spring like days we've had since March 1st. The coming week looks a write off so going to make the most of getting outside today for walks while I can. I'm hoping for a serious improvement in the weather by May into June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Very dull and windy today. Rain is on the way.

Some wintriness possible on Tuesday night

Cold and windy on Tuesday night with widespread showers and gusty conditions at times. There will be a chance of hail and isolated thunderstorms and a few brief wintry flurries over high ground cannot be ruled out. Lows will range from 0 to 4 degrees generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Weather miles off for South Cork, no rain at all today so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Despite the radar showing rain at times, nothing has fallen here in south-east Meath apart from a few spits of drizzle and ground remains dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Downpour in Galway...the showers over the next few days will probably be just as bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Forecast was way off for Wicklow today, it was very overcast and a bit misty but we had no proper rain showers at all. Not complaining mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

So dull and cold today. No rain despite radar showing it up. Few drops that's all. See more precip to pass on radar shortly.

Wind and rain on the football coverage in Castlebar earlier.

11⁰. Dull. Meath

GFS has patchy snow cover for Wednesday morning

Raining

10⁹ Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nice day yesterday until the heavy most started in cork city. Had a bright morning then today but lashing rain now again until this evening it seems. The amount of rain is madness!

*Saturday was a lovely day though, first day all year where I was outside doing work from 9am -7pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭BagofWeed

Mainly grey and overcast in Cork as per usual and that horrible rotten windy breeze that seems to blow from all directions. Seems I removed the sponge from the kitchen vent way too soon in the year, draughty and chilly here now with the vent cover rattling from the breeze despite there also being a cowl in front of it. Looks like rain/mist to the west on it's way just in time for my jog. lol. Grrrrr...

Hail mixed in the last shower.

Tuesday night

Tuesday night: Turning windy overnight with strong and gusty northwesterly winds developing, increasing very strong in western and southwestern areas later. There will be a mix of clear spells and showers through the night, with the chance of sleet or snow over high ground. Lowest temperatures of 0 to 2 or 3 degrees.

April showers at Ballycotton Bay, East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

Weather is atriocus here in NCD, spells of really heavy showers mixed with hailstones.

We can't complain though Fri and Sat were fab and even yesterday although not lovely it stayed dry until evening.

Now can I ask a question from male members of boards here?

Wtf is the deal with men wearing shorts in this weather? It's freezing cold and lashing rain and I've seen four men in them today in space of 10 mins!

Now I wouldn't mind if out running but this outside walking around in retail park. Mad stuff altogether😁

Pleasant in the sun though 😁

You wouldn't feel the cold on your legs really, not at this time of the year, as long as you're warm up top you're good to go 🙂

Tonight’s GFS ups the snow potential vs last night. Tiny dusting Wednesday morning if it’s to be believed. Small pocket around Fermanagh/Leitrim/Cavan area has most.

Lovely morning sunrise. Chilly.

Wonder what evening commute will bring.

4⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Appledrop that’s a question I’ve grappled with myself re the shorts on men! Not only have I seen it this month but you’d see it in dec and jan too not that there is much difference in the weather anyway! Glad you had fab days on Friday and Saturday. I was in sardinia for the weekend. Fab also 19/20 degrees gin blue clear skies and a gentle breeze. I was in Cork on Friday afternoon for the flight and it was mostly cloudy and a wind that would skin you. Back to reality this morning the omnipresent grey slate, the wind and spots of rain and of course it’s cold. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wear them running all through the year, but yes you see men wearing them all year round these days, especially young ones. Those grey cloth ones. It would have been looked upon as so bizarre if you were to wear shorts as a teenager in my heyday, even in nice weather it wasn't the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

Surprisingly sunny morning here in NCD, I'm sure the rain is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Billcarson

After 3 yrs of La Nina ,an El Nino is coming. If it's a strong one that's next winter screwed already if you want cold or snow. Not sure what it means for this coming summer.

Winter probably screwed anyway, I've lost all hope for Irish winters but hopefully will get to see another 2010 or 2018 before I'm 10 feet under the ground.

Yes doesn't really matter anymore about any teleconnections I've lost faith in our winters at this stage. But next winter looks possibly totally screwed. Last El Nino gave us our warmest Dec on record in 2015. Teresa Mannions famous clip in Galway during storm Desmond etc Please not again......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ah Gonzo we will only put you 6 feet under😉

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Horrible day yet again Cork City -lashing rain yet again disgusting carrying the form on from march yesterday brutal aswell

10ft? You going for the extra 4ft to avoid any of your beloved rain that might trickle down 😛

I think 1998 was a strong El Niño, that year delivered the strongest storm I witnessed.

Plenty of warnings out

No rain warning from ME but one for the North today.

Yellow - Rain Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Persistent rain, heavy at times, will extend northeastwards across Northern Ireland and southwest Scotland this afternoon. Accumulations of 20 to 30 mm are expected over a few hours with 30 to 40 mm possible over high ground.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Strong southerly winds, veering westerly. Very strong gusts expected for a short time this afternoon and evening, causing some disruption.

Valid: 15:00 Tuesday 11/04/2023 to 21:00 Tuesday 11/04/2023

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very strong northwest winds developing. Widespread gusts of between 90 and 110 km/h expected, stronger in exposed areas.

Valid: 08:00 Wednesday 12/04/2023 to 20:00 Wednesday 12/04/2023

Yellow - Wind Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Northwesterly winds will strengthen though late Wednesday morning into early afternoon across Northern Ireland with gusts of 45-50 mph at times inland and 60 mph along northern coasts. Winds will gradually ease through Wednesday evening.

Yes that was a strong el nino yr. Also winter 82/83 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's some intense rain in Galway city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement