Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

The accent was Sirtis' choice IIRC, based on an Israeli friend of hers.

Yeah, she was told that the character needed an accent.

Would have loved to have seen her audition for Yar, with a full on "Landhan" accent

When Sirtis was the security chief the character was Hernandez wasn't it? She could have gone full Fawlty Towers with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

This is depressing.

A voyager spin off? Yeah voyager had about 3 decent characters but overall the show was ****.

Starfleet Academy - it's a **** idea nó matters what century you place it in

A captain Shaw spin off? I'd like that. But with a well lighted set and stand alone episodes.

Let's wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sirtis is in a classic Minder episode pre Trek playing a Greek cockney iirc...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not evil yet. There is still time for him to get Lorcad 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"Wonder if they've accidentally brought in the best original character, since Flox"

Definitely not because the best original character before Shaw was Lorca . Until they "killed" him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You're all wrong. Best new character is Badgey.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Badgey is way later than Shran so that don't make much sense.

Best new chracter since Phlox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Halv expected an easter egg reference to him at Daystrom Station….along with Peanut Hamper :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah, I'm disappointed about the lack of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There's definitely room for him as Amigus, the evil AI from Lower Decks. All they need is his voice. But the AI story kinda done to death now with S2 of Discovery and S1 of Picard.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of "The Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway" (it's read by Kate Mulgrew, how could I not). The canon purists won't like it though. Her first meeting with Tuvok is recalled, he's not named until after he dressed down the then ensign Janeway and her captain (another familiar character 😉) says "I see you've met Commander Tuvok" erm, Commander? Even Lieutenant Commander doesn't work here as he was only Lieutenant senior grade on Voyagers launch.

Semi related, had a bit of a smile and "I know that voice" moment while playing the video game Horizon Forbidden West. The playable character, Aloy can visit a settlement where the chaplain has the unmistakable dulcet tones of one Tim Russ. The game also features Carrie Ann Moss and Angela Bassett but whatever, bleeding Tuvok is a tribesman. 😃

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

???

The message of Roddenberry's Trek has pretty much been "infinite diversity in infinite combinations" from day 1. Dunno what prompted the rest of your rant, but maybe chill a bit?

I apologised quite awhile ago for my rant.

However having diverse character's is one thing but ST seems overtly preoccupied with it.

It wants to promote extreme feminism see below

Post edited by Bobtheman on

Here is some evidence

https://youtu.be/FPSh-V4tedI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Wait, what?! "Evidence"? It's some guy on youtube, ranting. It's... a bit dumb. He manages two whole examples. It's titled "The Wokeness of Modern Star Trek" and the first example - a female captain being a total jerk - has nothing whatsoever to do with "wokeness". It's a jerk, being a jerk. "Man-hating feminist HR manager" is all in Dave's mind, I'm afraid. "It's all done in the name of the feminist agenda - to make this female character seem superior and validated." Um, no. It makes her look like a total jerk. Sorry, gonna have to try harder.

• Advertisement

We could be here all day with the evidence sunshine but you don't want to see what you don't want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was going to ignore the post totally as the sad male insecurity over an obvious parody short (it's the guy who plays "Archer" FFS!) wasn't worth engaging with but I think the cherry picked TNG example is interesting as the treatment of Barclay in that example was very much the exception to the rule. TNG era Starfleet was a ruthlessly hyper competitive organisation. Officers serving aboard the Enterprise were regularly reminded of what a privilege it was for them to be able to serve on the Federation's "flagship" and were under no illusions about being turfed out for under-performance. Barclay himself had been passed from captain to captain and just got lucky that Picard was in a good mood that day and decided to say "**** it, let's try something out with this guy". The original Gary Stu himself, Wesley Crusher failed his first attempt to get into the Academy in a entrance exam/hazing ritual that made Mensa entry look inclusive. It was the sort of uber-competitive Top Gun style org that gave rise to the likes of Nicolas Locarno and Tim Watters and their followers. And after making it through that process, they could easily find themselves scraping feces and semen out of California class holodecks. So yeah, Barclay was just very lucky that the replicator happened to serve Picard a particularly good cup of earl grey that day.

Jeysus that's pathetic crap.

A black woman had to help a man do something thus proving some woke agenda.

Weak example. I will get a better one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Twitter gets thrown in the bin, maybe YouTube can join it for all the "man rants about X thing in pop culture" videos clogging up the system.

Enough with the video dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jesus Christ, would yee all give it a rest. I don't want to hear about "evidence" from a mad yank on youtube about some "woke" agenda, any more than I want to hear someone tell me men are women.

Give it a rest FFS.

Perhaps best to park it. It wasn't a major concern of mine except for the lack of straight male characters in discovery.

Perhaps the failure to write a decent straight female character in Burnham made the desire stronger.

However anybody who says discovery was not trying very hard to be woke is deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

As an addendum to park this, but also I guess as my own misguided way to remind everyone that there are things we all share in this fandom. I can understand where your mindset comes from. Much of my Youtube feed skews towards the Doomcocks and Midnights Edges of the world, in no small part due to my dismay with how Trek was being made in previous years, so I can a least understand some of your feelings towards all of this. Through them I heard the various arguments against Discovery and the production mindset of casting which I’m some cases these channels were making sense. But then had a knack of leaning far into Culture War territory and sometimes into far right theories about Hollywood’s “agenda” when making shows like Discovery. Far too biased in many cases, while abusing the word “woke” as a catch-all complaint.

Ultimatly, I have leaned towards the thinking that imagining Hollywood having any coherent political agenda is giving them too much credit. I feel that they simply are very bad at what they are doing and latched onto diversity casting as a trend they felt was necessary to attract audiences. All the while, forgetting or downplaying the importance of writing decent stuff. That is the jist of what I think happened with Discovery or similar properties that have done poorly recently. The current wave of production teams are just quite bad at their jobs and need to be refined into the likes of what made Picard S3 or Strange New Worlds.

I’ve said many times that I couldn’t care less about the gender, race or creed of a Trek cast so long as we got a good Trek show. I still feel this, and despite where you might set up camp within politics, we surely can all agree that what we want at the end of the day is well written and well produced Trek.

• Advertisement

I think I'd have to agree with you. The writing for discovery declined in my view after season 2. I think the actor who played Michael Burnham was badly directed as I have seen her in other things and she is much better.

I am getting tired of season arcs. Totally encompassing arcs.

I'm not sticking around for the last season of discovery because of terrible writing and poorly drawn characters and not because I think it's too woke

I watch lots of stuff that is woke plus good like Modern family because the writing is good

I just get a bit fed up with the media narrative of toxic masculinity and sometimes I lash out on social media. My sincere apologies to my fellow trekies.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and no I'm not being tongue in cheek

Advertisement