Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Has a ref ever been starstruck by Roscommon before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I am certain there will be a big skirmish when they run off the pitch at half time. Never been so sure of anything in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Poor enough so far. Roscommon have set up well and are full value for their lead. Need a very big effort in the second half if we are to win this one.

We are poor but this ref should have stayed at home.

Diarmuid Murtagh is beating Mayo all by himself.

This Roscommon win today is a sweet revenge against the hardy bucs fella on Twitter who be slagging off the Ros.

Beating ourswlves. Lads not taking on kicks within 25 m of the posts. Poor showing.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

we deserved nothing out of this game but it was the most bizarre refereeing performance that I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

6 weeks off, not the worst thing.

Disappointing that it had to come at the hands of a loss to the Rossies but we can do with the break.

The ref was definitely hoping for a big skirmish, he let it be a very physical game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo were never going to get the decisions they got last week

• What’s the story for Mayo now? Rnd 1 of the round robin series towards the end of May the next time they are playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

We deserved nothing from that. Beaten in midfield, forwards running into tackles constantly and too afraid to take shots on. Was a very poor display.

Nevertheless, the break might be useful. Need to get injuries right and just take a breather for a few weeks.

As for the ref - one of the most bizarre displays ever. Something needs to be done to address the faking of head injuries, Roscommon were at it all day today, trying to slow down play. Lots of teams at it too.

• Advertisement

Nope. Losing at home to them - in that fashion - is unacceptable.Galway I could take as they are a decent team.

We were bullied out of it. Ref was awful as was our sideline. One player refused to take a simple point when there were only a couple in it at the end. Ros go down and kick a great point.

No courage whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The ref saw right through Mayo's usual free fishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Needed to adjust to those tactics earlier so definitely a sideline failure, amount of time wasting and injuries should have been at least 8 minutes.

Added to some bizarre referee decisions the quick turn around from last week, and some poor individual performances...the break might do us good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

It was the the frees he gave Roscommon at crucial times that was the problem, some very questionable decisions there.

Roscommon were let away with murder, going down at every chance they got to kill the game.

That's not to take away from Mayo's poor performance either.

But the 6 week break will be welcome and today's defeat will kill the hype that was building. That in itself will be no harm. I'm sure we'll be ready to go again for the round robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly. Ryan o Donoghue got away with a Black Card for deliberate trip and AOS got away with a red for elbow into the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Thought the same myself. Instead of being one down we very quickly became 3 down. Tough to watch, but thems the draws.

Also wtf was the red at with the hopball. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Awful stuff.

Can't remember Ryan and Jordan playing as bad before. Tommy and Mattie poor in the first half but improved a bit. Don't know why Fionn Mc was taken off so early, he was the best of the HF line.

Very reminiscent of the Tyrone final running into traffic. Also the fact we butchered 2 good goal chances in the first half. I've no doubt we go on to win if one of them goes in.

No harm getting a 6 week break all the same as we'd started to pick up some injuries.

Haven't seen it back but why did Ros get frees for the 2 hop balls Aidan won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Roscommon were hungrier and had this game lined up for months.

They had a game plan and executed it well.Something has to be done about time wasting though.Every time Mayo got momentum going a Roscommon player went down.

Comical reffing at times but we can't blame the ref,Roscommon deserved to win that game.

It's a minor annoyance if anything and Mayo could do with a break before the real football starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

An elbow to the face? Where did you see that.

I must say congats to Ros, they won deservedly.

I just hate losing to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Two poor performances in a row now.

Getting feck all from the forwards where we were getting loads from them in the league.

A certain taste of a unexpectedly good league not translating to the championship off it.

Plenty to work on and still it would be a huge upset if they don't at least make a qf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

would be a huge upset if they don't at least make a qf.

Possible going into the group stage as a third seed could work out better than second? Might end up in a group with New York!😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Two second seeds are Limerick/Clare and Sligo/New York.

Another will be Louth/Westmeath/Meath.

So the second seeds are hardly stacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The forwards were just constantly running into traffic. Very annoying to watch and can't believe that sort of naivety is being coached.

Midfield is a problem too. Cleaned out in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ah all our old friends who have been so conspicuous by their absence from the forum the past week are back I see.

There was always a danger of this today . No need to panic . The players should be given to the week off and allowed go on the piss to celebrate the National title they won against Galway last Sunday.

it’s prob too late to arrange the warm weather training camps Galway and Kerry had though

Yea. In fairness to the team, they could have conceded the league final to focus on this match, and still have lost it. So good that it's only an unimportant early game. Other wise it would be like fr ted. Is there anything to be said for another mass. (Mass = Galway game)

The fact Sam Callinan and Bob Tuohy spent the game sitting down in the stand tells you how serious management were treating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

that hotel room you have for all Ireland weekend was maybe a little premature……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Conroy O’Connor Carr Flynn O’Shea . 1 point each in. 2 games. After all our work. 5 points from forwards in 2 games. Just isn’t good enough

I know, but if it was a serious knockout championship game they would have played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I read somewhere that the national league winners will always be seeded higher than the team they beat in the final. How does that work if Galway win Connaught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Poor game, poor performance, poor result and poor weather.

The team were deffo flat after the League Final and the Rossies had a game plan that sucked to watch but was effective on the day.

I'm guessing the penalty was for a foot block (?) - my poncho left me with a slightly restricted view 😂

The second goal looked sloppy as well.

The last 10 mins were dire...we could have possibly taken a couple of points rather than trying to walk it into the goal.

Fair dues to the Rossies I guess....they were celebrating hard at the end

• Advertisement

That is if Galway won league final. They would be ranked higher than mayo in seeds even though they came 2nd in league

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

I know people will be disappointed with the result, but they've probably given themselves a better chance challenging for the All Ireland now.

If they prepare as well over the next 6 weeks as they did in pre-season for the national league Mayo will be there or there abouts at the business end..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Id also think Tommy Conroy should be used as an impact sub from now on.

If he doesn't have an impact early doors as a starter , he tends to drift in and out of games too much.

Cillian looks ready for the championship.

Its all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The penalty was as a result of a "forwards" tackle, by our center back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd agree on this being a good thing, we were always better off losing this game, gives us a nice break to get in a heavy training block and peak for the last three games of the year. I'd hope that we started that block last week. As someone said Callinan not coming on showed what McStay and Co thought about today. Delighted we'll have him for the U-20s.

Having said that we got filleted around the middle today. I thought our sideline was slow to make changes and our forwards were afraid to take their chances.

On the ref, I thought he was picky which was annoying but other than the hop balls with AOS I'm not sure he gave too many against us that weren't warranted, a bit like Joyce last week we see what we want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Watched McStays post match interview, he literally couldn't give a flying **** about that match

Rochford never had much màs for the Connacht championship, happy enough for that to continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

McStay behind the camera would be very different I can imagine given his connections with Roscommon, lives there and his children born and bred rossies. It's one match he wouldn't have liked to lose given the choice but would accept they were 2nd best today and can now use the time off to re-group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Well done Roscommon, sickening to lose to them today but they deserved the win. Too many players had off days for us to win, particularly around MF, they absolutely cleaned us out on breaking ball.

In the long run, it may not prove to be the worst thing but it didn't feel like that walking out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just watching back now - Flynn was brutal, his worst game in a long time. Mcstay had a great shooting opportunity on the D with 2 points in it and passed it up; similar to the Monaghan game, very poor from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Re the ref. I was at the match, and thought the ref was shocking. Obviously didn't have the benefit of playback. But watched it back last night on TV, and I didn't see a whole lot wrong. In the first hop ball, I thought Aidan pushed the guy. And for the second one, he elbowed the other guy. It was prob accidental, but it was still right in front of the ref. There are always those skirmishes in a hop ball situation, and the ref normally lets them flow. But I don't think the ref yesterday was wrong to blow up for 2 frees. Aidan was very lucky he didn't get a black for a blatant block.

THere was some other challenges which could have been frees for Mayo - borderline stuff. But it was generally the Mayo players running into a bunch of Roscommon players and getting swarmed. Almot all refs will give a free out for that one.

It was a really poor performance by Mayo. Couldn't do anything creative during the last 15 mins to break down the Ros defensive unit. A lot of headless stuff, and many players afraid to take on a shot. Wouldn't have thought Mayo had an extra player for the final 15 mins.

I don't recall one decent pass into Aidan in the forward line in the whole game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yeah I thought the same and it wasn't on the edge of the D it was right in the middle of the damn thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement