Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kinda mad - Rahm has played poor enough - putter is cold - a bit wild at times - and will probably win by 4 or 5 with an old lad in 2nd - who is part retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Yea. But it was enough. Everyone else who might have challenged pulled a McIllroy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Terrible drive from Rahm on 18. Should still be more than enough.

Provisional? How can they lose a ball with so many there? 🤣

Ah he's grand, still longer then most of us,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He should still gor for it in 2

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

fair play to John Rahm and on seves birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Not a great Masters in all honesty, fair dues to Rahm though.

Nice to see Ole there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Delighted for Rahm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Rahm has been quality the last few years, gained the shots from behind and held his nerve to see the last couple of holes out. Worthy champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Kevin na having to having to hang around for that. Norman must be disgusted brooks blows it. I’d be worried if I was chase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sergio too...he hung around so long he may as well have congratulated his fellow countryman...unless Greg was talking crap again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was very nice to see it. From one green jacket wearer to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Good stuff shame it became a procession towards the end- good to see brooks back - hope he leaves Liv-never got the hate

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Not mentioned once today- someone in sky listening

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

Chuffed to see Rahmbo win it and see off Brooksie. Such controlled power and wonderful touch, great for European golf. Still got a soft spot for Phil so nice to see his run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

European golf??

None of the top players pay the euro tour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The weather was probably the reason for it but that had to have been the most underwhelming Masters I’ve seen in a long time. Probably since Spieth‘a runaway win in 2015. I thought we’d be treated to a proper matchplay scenario between Rahm and Koepka but it was dire enough viewing to honest. Rahm is ridiculously good though, a once in a generation player. He has literally everything and can adapt his game to play any course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst it wasn't the best ever - I'm beginning to think The Masters is my favorite major. - Just the time of year , the start of the season , the total preposterousness of it all. It is everything that is right and wrong about golf at the same time.

This week we just suffered a bad weather combination and the course was too easy. The LIV / real golf thing was a lovely twist.

The Rory thing is perplexing - but I think he needs a new caddy and mind coach. (even if people say this has been over done) . He needs to step away from being the spokesperson for everything. Stop speaking and start listening......

The biggest learning from this week for me is (whilst it is hard to accept) - we can't really do without the top LIV guys - they are too good to ignore , the ones in particular that we need back in our sport are - Cam, Brooks, Reed, Bryson - - obviously the Phil thing was a freak - but the guy deserves way more respect than the comic figure he has become.

The pace of play was a joke - we need to change the rules of golf on the greens - and I do think this will happen, as i see a change of mood on this, in social media and general golf chat. The idea you can line up your ball, get your caddy to line you up again , then line it up again , then do aim point on a 4 foot putt - then walk off the green as if the world rotates around you - highlights the ultimate selfishness and spoilt child syndrome of pro golf (and golf).

I'm delighted for Rahm - I followed him on his first win at the Irish open in 2017 - his level was unreal winning at (-24) - his rise to the top top of the game has been surprisingly slow after his dart at the start. But - he looks like he can go on to win at least 4 more majors.

The pro game seemed very strong just a while ago - and there are sleeping giants like Young and Hovland and Scheffler on the way . Spieth seems to be on the way back - Thomas is very hit and miss .

But golf is in a very strange phase again - Rahm could dominate for a while - and Rory is really letting easy majors slip again.

When you see what a broken Tiger can do for an event - you see how golf still lacks stars - for all the fake promise of Rory.

Anyway - Well done John......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rahmbo prevails, I wasn't far off. Phenomenal player.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Delighted Rahm got the win, thought not getting birdie on 2 was going to cost him but Brooks didn't either, who then went on to proceed to collapse entirely. Wonder was he having much self-doubt around his ability which caused it. Shame if so, guy can easily compete.

Mickelson and Spieth final round was fun, serious shooting. Maybe easier to do when there's little to nothing to play for, but still got to do it. Especially at 52.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was surprised Brooks collapsed like that on the final round. Though I’m delighted for Rahm.

I realised this weekend that we miss the LIV guys they are still great golfers. It’s good to see them in the majors. I’d like to see them in the Ryder Cup and Presidents cup too. And if possible bring back the world matchplay event with everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't like Koepka so was glad Rahm won. Not a classic Masters, only OK but It would have been bland without the LIV players. Most of the controversial players are in LiV now. The likes of Jocks Koepka spitting on the course gives someone to cheer against.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bryson seem to be awful quiet leading into this week. Probably realised his comments a few years ago made him look like a idiot so best to keep his mouth zipped.

The liv players add a little spice to events. I wonder did brooks missus show him what she bought when he got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

I think Rahm won by keeping it together in the real bad weather Saturday.

Once he got through that staying in touching distance, he probaly thought it was his to take.

I thought it was great to see both tours on the same course and very little comment on the fact. I think it was a big step from The Masters and it will open the door for future majors even when The Liv players run out of qualifying invites, they are too good golfers not to be playing in the majors and the majors will suffer without them.

In a few years they might have their own majors which PGA players will play in.

Sorry Benny79 maybe a step too far,too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Rory thing is perplexing - but I think he needs a new caddy and mind coach. (even if people say this has been over done) . He needs to step away from being the spokesperson for everything. Stop speaking and start listening......

That would make sense if this was happening in every tournament he plays in. But it isn't. To me, the more he's hyped for The Masters, the worse he does. No real hype last year and had a good finish.. This year, it was full on "Rory's going to win", even Tiger got in on the act.

So yeah, he needs help on the mental side, but maybe just for this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As I said that earlier in the week his best bet would be to turn up Thursday morning, warm up and tee off. No interviews, practice rounds etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Doubtful, I;'d say in a few years time LIV probably won't even exist (they're not going to throw money at it forever when it produces no return on investment) and the only way "LIV majors" would attract anyone else to play is because of gigantic prize money which would pretty much remove the appeal for any fans.

The reason the Majors are important is they have history and tradtion and are linked to iconic institutions within the sport , LIV has none of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

McIlroy talking all the time works against him

It's good for golf but not so much for him

I'll be looking for an alternative to sky next year the commentary is poor

Advertisement