Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre puncture Easter Monday

• 10-04-2023 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if my AA roadside assist membership will cover tyre puncture? And do they charge for repair?

Local garage is closed today.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Pretty sure they cover it, I had to call them out before cause I couldn't physically get the tyre off the hub, was rusted tight and had no mallet/hammer and in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

But I don't have a spare tyre in the hybrid tucson.

Any idea if they would fix the puncture at home?

There is Continental tyre sealant in the car. But I am not sure if it fixes the puncture.

This is the sealant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It depends on whether you have home assist cover, or not. (At least that was the case a few years ago.)

Yea I have home assist cover. I will call AA and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

If you have tyre sealant you should have a little air compressor too? I usually pump to 42psi and the tyre will stay inflated for at least a day or so if the puncture isn’t too bad

Post edited by User1998 on

Yes, there is little ait compressor also.

It seems a micro puncture, loss of 2 psi/24 hours.

AA would charge in the region of €60 to repair. I will wait until the tyre shops are open tomorrow, they usually charge €15. I will use air compressor again tomorrow morning.

Thanks 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

€60 for a puncture. Where did you get that figure? Fix would be usually free if it's on the thread. Sidewall punctures are unrepairable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Watch out for the sealant, it'll render the tyre unrepairable and you'll generally be forced to get a whole new tyre

You might need a new one anyway depending on the amount of damage, but I personally always try for a repair if possible

If you can get the AA guy out they might be able to put a temporary plug in

Emphasis on the temporary, they're only designed to last something like 50km at speeds up to 80km/h

It should be enough to get you to a tyre shop today or tomorrow

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Update:

The €60 figure was provided by a friend who used his car insurance company rather than the AA.

I have maximum possible cover from AA and they told me puncture cover is included and I don't have to pay.

I hope it will be a permanent fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

They will stick a plug in it and thats all if they can even find it, dont let them use the tyre sealant. Wait until the tyre shop is open in the morning and get it done properly, it's only a slow puncture, you know that yourself, my be the valve or the bead not sealing properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Why get the AA out at all? Just top up the tyre and get it fixed at a tyre shop tomorrow.

I didn't know it will be a temporary fix by AA. Otherwise I would have just waited until tomorrow.

The nail was big enough though, picture attached.

I will head to the tyre centre tomorrow. I don't understand why it's a temporary fix, the AA person did the exact same thing as they would at a tyre centre. Maybe the rubber piece used by AA is of inferior quality.

Thank you all for your guidance.

Because if it's to be mended the proper way the tyre needs to be removed from the rim.

Ok

AA didn't take the tyre out, just turned the steering wheel on one side and found the nail, took it out, added some rubber putty and pushed it in using a sharp tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

Many new cars have no spare tyre in the boot.Just this tyre sealant rubbish.Just go to a breakers yard and buy a spare tyre for your car.It will be worth it for in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem with that is that there's nowhere to store a full-size spare in a newer car unless you want it taking up your boot space.

It annoys me too. My A7 has a space saver but I know that when the time comes, it'll be late some Saturday/Sunday night when I'm on a motorway home that I'll be forced to use it. Being limited to 80 km/h in the dark on a motorway doesn't exactly appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not really, the only problem with the usual wick in the hole repair is that the tyre is not properly inspected, not the repair itself.

Is the proper tyre centre going to remove the wick done by AA and place a new one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

If the tyre holds pressure why go to a tyre repair centre to repair a non existent puncture? I've used those plugs on a number of occasions and I've never had a problem afterwards, certainly never went to have the plug replaced with a patch. The worst that can happen is the plug might fail at some point in the future, before the tyre needs to be replaced

It says "temporary puncture repair done" (picture attached). But yea I have done about 20 km already and tyre pressure remains the same.

Is it possible that the rubber putty would fall out?

I have seen proper tyre centre repairing puncture the exact same way. So I am not sure what else could be done tomorrow.

I got new continental tyres 4 weeks ago.

Any thoughts if I should still go to a proper tyre repair centre tomorrow?

The rubber putty / wick won't fall out, the repair will last as long as the tyre. What they're saying is that you should inspect the tyre for additional hidden damage.

Ah ok.

I did inspect the tyre and its in perfect condition. Tyre pressure never went below 28 psi.

You can't see inside the tyre...

You should do whatever your most comfortable with but for sure I wouldn't be going into a tyre centre with that tyre.

It was a nail, its not like he hit a kerb or a pothole which could have caused unseen damage to tyre carcase. Again if you would be happier to confirm that a nail didn't cause more substantial tyre damage, then go ahead, its only €15 all the same

It's marked on the paperwork as a temp fix for a reason.... (In other words it's fook all to do with me if it does let go for any reason)

And yes i have seen first hand the damage that can be done and condemned tyres when the needed to be.

No problem. As I said if someone is happier to have the 'temporary fix' redone, go for it. Interesting that you have condemed tyres that have being punctured by a nail in the thread area of the tyre.

• Advertisement

Yes the odd time it had broken a strand of wire or 2 and pushed it back inside the tyre, plug almost pulled through. Also seen the evidence of the tyre been ran on the rim for a short while from the handful of rubber inside the tyre and wire broken through inside but you'd never think it by looking at the tyre when it was fitted on the rim and pressurised. not nice getting a strand of wire stuck in your finger i can tell you that.

Thanks all,

I checked again and no issues whatsoever.

It's a brand new tyre and I doubt any tyre centre is going to examine the inside.

I will be watchful in the coming days though, but not going to the tyre centre tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

As stated if you have home assist they most likely tow you home and you sort puncture.Have had to call them in the past to loosen bolts on a punctured tyre.They changed the tyre for me.No charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The AA is a good service for towing and other bits.

It is worth the money.

In my case, AA fixed the puncture. I was at home when I called AA and there was no charge for the puncture repair (I did give a good tip as it was easter).

I did 250 kms today and no issues with the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

I drive a small Hundai i10 and when I bought it two years ago (new) there was a space for a spare wheel but in that space was the puncture repair kit.I said to the salesman I wasn't taking that and he went back to the store and got me one of those 80km wheels,which have got me out of trouble twice in the past couple of years.I do a nice bit of driving on mostly the M8/N40 and driving at 80km can be a bit intimidating I agree but as long as you keep in the left lane you'll be fine.In my Hundai there is a space for a spare wheel but was no wheel when I bought it.I'll be taking my 80km wheel with me when I change my car next month if theres no spare in my next Hundai.I have no interest in this "puncture repair rubbish".

• Advertisement

The tyre shop will install a permanent plug which goes on the inside of the tyre, it's different to the one AA installed. It'll be similar to the one below

The temporary plug could last anything from a few kilometres up to the lifetime of the tyre. It's temporary because it's only been tested and certified for around 50km

For the sake of €50 I'd bring it to the repair shop and see what they say

Where did you read that AA ones are certified for only 50km?

And why would it cost €50 to look at it when the full repair costs only €15?

I doubt you will get anything more than what AA did for 15 euros, maybe for 50. But honestly, if tyre is fine there's no point.

That's what the AA guy told me when they repaired the tyre. He said the purpose of the plug was to get me to a tyre repair shop for a proper repair.

You're correct, it didn't cost €50, it was €25 for me. They did put the plug in from the inside, I saw them do it. So it is a different repair to the temp plug

Like I said, it might last 1000km, it might last 50km. For me, I was about to drive 900km to try and catch a ferry and the thought of getting stranded on a motorway again wasn't worth saving €25

Since then the repair job has held and the tyre has been holding pressure for 6 months

In my local tyre centre they put the plug from outside as I have seen it and that's what the AA guy did.

Maybe for bigger damages they have to put the plug from the inside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement