Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2023

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Cantlay definetly played some part in the Kirkpatrick collapse- something needs to be done about him and people like him re pace of play- holding up group behind on every hole

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

5 hours for a 2 ball around a course like Augusta with no rough is just a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The one thing I noticed this weekend is the ridiculous amount of time almost all the players take over their putts, way too much time wasted, it was painful to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's Augusta, I can live with the time on the greens, rest of it on tee boxes and being painful in setup is crazy, thankfully it gets filtered out on the coverage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Problem is, their crap filters down into game at all levels - I'd say a new time limit will have to come in - there are many players with sensible routines that putt every bit as well as these clowns. As someone said here before - when someone adds a new things to a routine - they add , they rarely remove a part. Likes of Homa is off the wall stuff. Not fair on other players in the tournament having to wait. It is just selfish.

New rules needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Problem is that the tour don't actually want to do anything about it. Longer rounds is more tv coverage and advertising dollars. The rules are already there all they need to do is use them, and not on a Chinese amateur, tag a Cantlay or a Spieth with a few penalty shots and it'll speed things up.

Nobody starts playing golf as a junior with mad routines like we see on tour, yet even at the cringefest that is the drive, chip & putt thing, the kids were using aimpoint, f--king madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Tbf he only played well last year when the pressure was off and he was miles back, he started poorly as usual. His scores were 73 73 71 and then he made a charge with his 64 final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some sort of shot-clock for putting would seem reasonable, especially as it is something that Americans are used to in many of the sports they watch. I can't see too much pushback against it.

Probably a lot more complex to come up with a catch-all rule for tee/fairway shots as there are spectator safety issues. You don't want someone rushing a daisy cutter through the trees when a spectator is still in a dangerous spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hmm, how many masters champions have ever won a major like this , hey!?

Imho, McIlroy needs to improve his putting, and his approach wedges & high irons even more, just concentrate on his golf, maybe change some of his team, and get out of his own way!!

P.s. stop being the player spokesman for the pga tour (v Liv) might be a good start too imho.

P.p.s. Lowry didn't putt nearly well enough to compete either imho. As far as I saw he gave away about ~5 stokes on both Saturday & Sunday cos of poor putting.... Okay they won't all drop, but improve these by 50% and be 5 better, & then who knows!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

You can be sure most the players could say the same if only another few more putts dropped they’d be up there.

Yes, sure, but my point is he needs to vastly improve his putting if he is to really contend at Augusta.

Lowry's long putting was pretty good tbf, but it was his putting from 8 - 18ft, that left him down badly imho. He had so many putts to score from this range and left them out there. In contrast Rahm was rolling these in with regular ease!!

P.s. by holing just ~50% of these say, he could have been 5 shots better in his final two rounds alone! A Shame!!

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Lowry was brilliant tee to green, in the top 5 over the four days for both fairways hit and GIR. Frustrating his putting was poor like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Total purse: $18 million

1st: $3,240,000 -- Jon Rahm

2nd: $1,944,000 -- Phil Mickelson, Brooks Koepka ($1.594 million each)

Phil and Brooks get that for just turning up to a LIV tournament right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I wonder was Shane's putting actually poor per se, or was he leaving himself the wrong side of the hole on too many occasions ? Sometimes you're better off missing the green in the right place than being on it on that course. He's never going to be a "good" putter, but plenty of average at best putters have won round Augusta - Hideki, DJ, Bubba, Scott, Scheffler, Sergio etc.

You might be right about where Lowry was ending up on the greens, I'm not sure, the ones he kept missing looked very getable regardless.

'...but plenty of average at best putters have won round Augusta - Hideki, DJ, Bubba, Scott, Scheffler, Sergio etc.'

Yes, maybe. But these guys all putted really well when they won their masters iirc. E.g. I'm thinking of Scheffler & Sergio hardly missing a putt all weekend when they won.

So that's the message really if you want to win at Augusta you need to drive like God, hit your approach irons like Jesus and putt like the Holy Ghost himself !!

P.s. you don't have to worry about the rough at all though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Lots of players were missing what looked like gettable putts. I think I posted earlier about the amount of short putts being missed. To me it was unusually high. I've a feeling that the weather conditions changed how putts were running from day to day and even hour to hour.

Advertisement