Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Toulouse are a brilliant side who play the best transition/heads on rugby in Europe. But I'm certain that the handling ability of Leinster's 1-15 is the best around. Every player knows their role and how and when to make that linking pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

But it won't be Leinster 1 -15. There will be a few injuries meaning some players outside of the ideal first 15 starting and 23 out of the top 27 or 28 in match day squad.

. That is what makes me nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would expect Toulouse to give us a bigger challenge than last year. However we cause them as much problems as La Rochelle cause us. They have failed to perform in Dublin the last 3 times they have been here. They play a pressure game with a counter. However like France they tend to take penalties when on offer. Which doesn’t work against us. Their defence is nowhere near as good as Frances though. Leinster being 10 point favorites would be about right for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I think it will take a pretty significant upset to not win it from here. Leinster at home are formidable. I don't think La Rochelle are as good as last year but even if they were, I'd still be confident in a Leinster win.

I don't think Toulouse have the game to beat Leinster in Dublin. They aren't disciplined enough defensively. It might be closer than last year but I'd be confident in the game being decided by 60mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's very formidable, isn't it? Toulouse are fantastic. We are down some lads and no Johnny. It's going to be a spectacle.

Win this and it's La Rochelle, imo. Another fantastic team. I reckon the 3 best teams in Europe are in the semis. No disrespect to Exeter, they are a good side. La Rochelle will be a bit too much for them.

Interestingly, there's a young Leinster lad at Toulouse, Joshua Brennan. Exeter have a gaggle of Irish in the squad and La Rochelle have Ultan. Lot's of Irish interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Josh Brennan has no connection whatsoever to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Well, he was born in Leinster and is the son of a former Leinster player even if he himself was never part of the academy. I think that is the point that the poster was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Joshua Brennan doesnt have a connection to Leinster bar being Trevors son. Lived in France since he was baby.

Leinster have released their latest injury update. Baird should be available in a few weeks and Lowe will be further assessed later this week. Hopefully both will be available for the Toulouse game.

What's more concerning though is the lack of update on VDF.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen-issues-injury-update-ahead-of-trip-to-south-africa/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Good news on Baird, even if he misses the SF.

Never good to see a player going into the "no further update" list, VDF might be done for the season.

Lowe needing further assessment isn't good either.

I'm still confident we can win the European Cup but we're reaching the point where we can't absorb too many more injuries.

And if we get past Toulouse, we should send the second string out for the URC knockouts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

By way of contrast, wasn’t Jamie Heaslip born in Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Looks like SF tickets are on sale tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Who gets the bench spot if Baird is out? Be tempted to put Ruddock there to have some power to bring on, plus he's in good form at the moment. Be great if McCarthy was fit by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Saw that but bit confused as TM says presale are from 2pm tomorrow to Thursday but general sale also from 2pm. Reckon general sale will actually be on sale tomorrow or more likely sometime after Thursday so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If I had to guess, I'd say either the general sale date will be Thursday or perhaps there are a few allocations in each sale - leinster presale is for sections allocated to Leinster fans; Toulouse presale for sections for their fans; and then some "neutral" sections. Either way, I'd say we'll get an email today (hopefully).

Has an email gone out to season ticket holders? I haven't received one.

Will log on tomorrow anyway. They won't sell out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

TM seems to say that sale from 2 p.m. tomorrow is for IRFU.....??????

If Baird is out, Deegan into the 23. A little more of the same. Speed around the park. Toulouse have Flament, I thought he was with Toulon. He's quality. Our pack will be pressure to get quick ball. Man for man, the sides are fairly even.

• Advertisement

I would guess the Euro is the priority. The URC would be nice but, I can't see Leinster winning both. The injuries are stacking up and there's the Sexton factor. Either one would be great.

We could see a South African team win the league again. Stormers won't go strong this week. They will save the 1st team lads for the play offs. Munster should go full pop this week to capitalize.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

The Irish Times saying Baird is out for Toulouse game, not too positive about Lowe.. reading between the lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're reading a lot between the lines there...

I'd say Baird is out alright, though a "few weeks" is frustratingly vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gotham Guy

Excerpt from below article:

THE POST-MATCH press conferences after Leinster’s last two games have had a similar theme to them.

Two weekends ago, Ulster boss Dan McFarland came in after his side was beaten by Leinster in the Champions Cup round of 16. He was asked about how his side can close the gap to Leinster and he said:

“I can’t change the demographics. They’ve just got way more rugby players, way more earning potential in terms of the money. Nothing changes that.”

On Friday evening, Leicester head coach Richard Wigglesworth came in after his team was hammered by Leinster in the quarter-final. He was asked the same question and said:

“The gulf is in what you have available to spend. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong. I’m not asking to spend more money. I’m just being clear.”

So it wasn’t just Wigglesworth, it was two professional rugby coaches in two successive weekends saying it. I understand them making a case for the scoreline but two in successive weeks? 

I think the point you make about the finances being there to hold onto X number of international players is the point though. Would this be possible at other provinces? I dont think it would. I think there is a gap in the funds made available and the scales are tilted in Leinster’s favour. Wigglesworth and McFarland are merely highlighting that reality.

Full article is on msn Ireland and is titled:

“People have funny memories” Cullen dismisses chat about Leinster’s Finances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's only a couple of days. With swelling they probably haven't even had a scan yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It would absolutely be possible for other provinces if they could develop as many international quality players.

This isn't even hypothetical, it already happened during the professional era when another province supplied the majority of the Irish team and the IRFU made it work so the team was kept together and as a bonus they supported them with marquee international signings far beyond what Leinster are getting these days and also financed a new stadium for them to help them with their revenue.

Cullen is right, people do have funny memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seems like Jenkins is making the SA trip based on the interview they posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Re reg. 2 posts. Same moans. How awfully sad. Really really sad.

• Advertisement

2 coaches who’s European seasons were ended by Leinster - Leicester in relatively humiliating fashion.

What possible reason would they have to offer up excuses and put out the soundbite that there was nothing they could do?!

There are single schools in Leinster who’ve produced more international players in the past 10 years than Munster or Ulster or Connacht. There are about 1,000- 1,100 students in Blackrock.

Advertisement