Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Once again we have run up against the buffers.

Just in conclusion I would like to assure you that I post in good faith on this thread just like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ NCH NSO | Toy Show The Musical | Children's Content

I am of the view that we should have both the NSO and the RTÉ CO as part of the cultural life of Ireland, my argument is that the management of RTÉ were unable to make the move they requested in 2018 in the required time frame of 2021, and instead it occurred in 2022.

This is a loss to RTÉ of €8m which might have been spent on other content in RTÉ.

In relation to The Toy Show the Musical. I am baffled that RTÉ seem to think they were unaware of the enormity of such a project coming up to Christmas, RTÉ through both the NSO and the RTÉ CO are aware of how theater performances work, but they seem clueless.

RTÉ management in both Orchestras would be aware of costs and income involved in live events, for example the RTÉ CO hosted a number of LIVE scores to major movies in both the NCH and the Bord Gais Theatre, such programming would be at the more commercial end of both the NSO and the RTÉ CO output, much like that of the Toy Show The Musical.

Then there is Dee Forbes' response to the failure of The Toy Show The Musical, I will let you read the response here: -

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2022/1217/1342461-dee-forbes-rte-is-very-proud-of-toy-show-the-musical/

As you can see it is ultimately a generic PR article that could be applied to any piece of content that RTÉ produces.

For example RTÉ could apply it to Children's Content ... However, in 2016 after telling everyone that they would not cut children's content they had already cut it by 25% and in 2017 they'd cut it by 50%, children's content has never really recovered since those cuts were announced by RTÉ, some 7 years ago.

On the other hand, TG4 would be well placed to write a similar article in relation to its Oscar Nominated film The Quiet Girl.

Which bring me to RTÉ's insistence that it cannot produce drama alone, while The Quiet Girl's funding has equal amounts coming from TG4, Screen Ireland and Coimisiún na Meán (BAI) through the CINE4 project its cost was that of an episode of "Normal People" according to Dee Forbes at the Oireachtas Media committee, but Ms Forbes seems to forget that RTÉ have the ability to commission Drama at a cost of €100,000 per half hour at the lowest point and €250,000 at the mid point of TV drama production in Ireland, and they have done so successful in the past.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

RTE Gold has virtually no budget, it is merely somewhere to put presenters that are already been paid a salary and are no longer required on RTE Radio 1 and 2FM. The arrival of Ronan Collins is no reflection of the stations budget and if Ms Forbes had her way, it would be off the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Where exactly did the idea for the country-music special edition of the Late Late Show come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

I never thought of Tubs as being someone who had a special interest in country music, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

I saw an article the other day where Tubs and his ego were taking all the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I believe it was a one off, at first. Celebrating the likes of Big Tom, who wasn't long more for this world, tbh.

But of course, Tubridy has never heard of 'too much of a good thing', so he decided to make it annual. More than likely to fill out his already dwindling guest list. Then he started adding people who were never country (Ronan Keating, Una Healy) to fill out the roster of guests, and even they got bored, so he started singing himself. Then it was the nieces and nephews of country singers, I think Declan Nerney or whoever has brought his niece or daughter on a few times (who genuinely knows), and each time she has a new face. The show got good ratings, I think, for the first episode, and I wouldn't blame it. It was a tribute to the likes of Big Tom, so for folks who hadn't seen him perform in a long while, it was a nice nostalgia trip for them.

Now, the country special, like the Valentine's 'special' has unfortunately suffered from dwindling guests due to people dying, the aforementioned Big Tom being one of them.

The frustrating thing is, I'm sure there are great singers out there... they're just not getting any promotion on the likes of the LLS. Which can be a great platform to showcase new talent. Instead, it's just the same old, same old.

Thoughts on RTE's announcement yesterday that longwave is closing down in 13 days time? They've wanted to close it since 2012 but have always ran into opposition from groups saying that lonely elderly Irish people in England without internet access have nothing to luck forward to except listening to Joe Duffy on longwave

I know an old lad who listens to RTE 1 on longwave in his allotment shed in Manchester.

Not necessarily a fan of JD but likes to keep up with news from Ireland which he left in the 60's not really voluntarily.

He's not a bit lonely but I guess he'll miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The idea for this latest country special came from the previous country special that was on about 6 months ago.

But how much it is really going to save them, not much when you consider everything else. I mean it be like suggesting cutting top earner wages or cutting expenses to Executives, not really going to do much in the long term!

______

Yesterday

I think it's about 250k per year.

It's pretty final not a reduction or adjustment.

One day it will be there, next day gone forever.

A few thousand elderly emigrants who never stood a chance in this country clobbered again in the heel of the hunt.

I suppose good management would have considered to how to export their product to the Irish diaspora abroad and provide some kind of services outside the country on a commercial basis, though times have changed and I am quite quite sure that RTÉ with technology to hand are making money hand over first to such a diaspora.

______

Yesterday

David McRedmond will not it seem become the next DG of RTÉ according to the Business Post, he was not shortlisted for the role. Not sure when his time as DG of An Post comes to an end but I imagine he won't be waving the flegs any longer.

______

Yesterday

Kevin Bakhurst looks like the fore runner after he stepped down as Deputy DG on the arrival of Dee, basically he was pissed off as MD of News & CA and having been given the nominal role of Deputy DG he didn't get his wish to be a dead cert for DG in 2016, he then took what seems to be a massive pay cut to go back to Britain to join OfCom which he has since moved up in.... but and here's the real killer ... Should we be asking what was his involvement in the Jimmy Saville investigation by NewsNight? Did he get out just in the nick of time to join RTÉ?

______

Yesterday

So the Board of RTÉ are having a conniption not about the above but about how they were left out of the decision making processes. The egos have landed.

______

Yesterday

They more you read about the Board of RTÉ you realize that it is filled with egos and the more I think about that I guess that almost every board in the public sector is filled with such egos, so if you think change is possible in any part of the Irish public service you be sadly mistaken and some may continue to trot out "well, we need an agreement in whatever, whatever... before we progress as to what we want". Good luck everyone we are on a sinking ship and the captains are way off currently drink champers on the lifeboats they orders which are in reality 40 foot yachts with caviar on tap. And I am sure they were able to come up with some excuse to justify their spending.

______

Yesterday

Newsnight wasn't part of the remit of his position as director of the BBC News Channel, was it?

You would think that as both the Deputy Head of the BBC Newsroom and the Head of the BBC Channel, and as potentially the person who schedule the BBC news channel's coverage of Saville's death that he might be high enough up the chain to have a fair idea of what had been planned and what had been postponed. (Along with the fact that NewsNight airs on the BBC News channel, as BBC TWO).

It's a question that should have been put to him in 2012 and it should be put to him now in 2023. It is a clear question of trust, remember he took over as MD of News at RTÉ due to a vacancy cased by the controversial Missions To Prey programme.

And along with the question why did he leave his position as Deputy DG of RTÉ in 2016? A role that had been vacant for 20 years or more and a role that hasn't been reinstated since his departure.

As I say The Egos Have Landed.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Newsnight wasn't simulcast on the BBC News Channel when Bakhurst was there. Newsnight has its own editors, e.g. Nicholas Watt, Mark Urban. That means that the programme wasn't part of Bakhurst's remit and so what he knew at the time of Savile's death is beside the point. Newsnight started being simulcast on the News Channel recently following the axing of the newspaper preview programme.

Why? He's the Deputy Head of the BBC Newsroom and also Controller of the BBC news channel. Surely this strikes at the idea of Trust in your national public service broadcaster. This is a clear question to put to him if he is to become DG of RTÉ. We can all defend him but not to put the question to him is completely bizarre.

What did he know of deferral of the newsnight programme on Jim Saville as Deputy Head of the BBC Newsroom and also Controller of the BBC news channel and why did he leave his role as Deputy DG and MD of News and Current Affairs RTÉ in 2016 following the selection of Dee Forbes?

______

Yesterday

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I see now that there is no link between KB and JS and that your question is about his knowledge of the deferral of a Newsnight programme.

How do you see no link?

And what about the other question of his leaving RTÉ?

______

Yesterday

I thought you said it was the deferral that you are questioning and that there was no link between KB and JS.

Maybe I got it wrong, please clarify if you wish.

I don't know anything about his leaving RTE.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask questions.

To separate questions.

How do you know he knew nothing about JS and NN? http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/reports/pdf/pollard/appendix_10.pdf

A verbal warning. Surely he'd have questioned such a significant verbal warning? As I say these are just questions I would be asking.

Mr McRedmond would have to defend his time at TV3 / VMTV, and the Licence Fee Collection that An Post is in charge off.

This is a big role that requires trust.

______

Yesterday

Sorry for the delay getting back.

I don't know that he knew nothing.

It doesn't say if he replied or said anything.

I'd say he would have an answer to any question after all this time.

I think McRedmond is out of the picture now.

I agreee that we want someone we can trust.

It's all ego. These questions were never asked, this is a huge problem with the process. IMO neither are suitable, but I think anyone could do the job after the last 14 years of NC and DF.

It's ego on top of ego.

McRedmond was seen as a sure thing because of An Post but they failed to consider his time at TV3/Virgin Media, his attacks on the Licence fee during that time and how during his time at An Post he failed to even look at their Licence fee collection methods.

Backhurst has to be questioned on JS issue at the BBC, regardless last 11 years. While, questions have to be raised about why he was given the nominal role of Deputy DG and why he left on DF's arrival, Ego? And what if something happens does he exit because of his ego?

Ego.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

So K Bakhurst is giving out about the amount of time it took to hire the DG!

7 years ago he applied for the role, he was acting DG until the appointment of Dee Forbes.

He's worked in RTÉ he knows how long a piece of sting is !

I have applied for lesser roles that have taken a couple month or more to actually get into the position from when I signed the contract, and I am sure everyone here has had someone say to them on a job interview process

"You'd think they were employing you as President of the company"

He's actually applying for the President of the Company.

Anyone looking for an ego, plenty in RTÉ more coming soon.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement