Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation to buy - light waterproof overshoes!?

Options
  • 10-04-2023 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Came home with two sopping feet after a spin this morning, I was wearing DHB neoprene overshoes, grand when it’s just cold but a nightmare when they get wet.

I'm looking for recommendations on light overshoes to keep the feet dry on mornings like this morning…not that bothered about warmth, I was looking at Velotoze’s but have been put off now by some reviews I’ve read.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just curious OP, but if you're not worried about the cold, how is having wet feet a 'nightmare'.

Most people wear overshoes to try to keep their feet a bit warmer. It's almost impossible to keep feet dry on a long wet ride. As well as standing water from the road, water will also run down legs and into the overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Peeling1979

I think it’s fairly apparent what I mean from my post if you read it again - thanks for the input tho - it looks like I’m seeking a bit of a holy grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Peeling1979

Cheers Meercat - I’ll have a look at those, I’d been looking at the Spatz Legalz too in CSS, I’ve a voucher for there - will check Alltricks now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Steer clear of Castelli and Santini’s best overshoes both are brutal for wet and cold.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

If you join css vip club you get a 12% discount. You can also use the cycling Ireland voucher €20 if you are a member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Getting a bit warm for Spatz this time of year. Above 10-12 degrees you'll start getting as wet from sweat as you would have from rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You’ll never keep wet out in this country and anyone on the roads for regular long spins will confirm that.

Light overshoes keep you shoes clean anything other than that is a myth.

Agree. Had them on today though and didn’t overheat

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

The Velotoze are very good for warm wet weather. I’ve tried the first generation and the version with a clip. The clip version are unbelievably fragile - you will do well not to tear them the first time you put them on.. Once you get the hang of them though and learn to be really careful with them, you should get a good few wears out of them (say 15 x 100k). They are less sticky though so last from season to season and easier to get on/off, if you don’t tear them

The first generation are slightly sturdier but ‘stickier’ rubber. If can be a real faff trying to loosen one bit of cover from another bit as the rubber sticks to itself. It is a painful experience every time to get them on and off. In terms of longevity, I think the issue is more that they can get into a kind of ball - think of a plastic bag covered in honey that’s been balled up and had all the moisture removed. The internets say that you can do something with talc to unstick but I’ve never tried. They do work very well though, no external water ingress and they are not insulated so it’s more a dampness than real wetness inside from sweat.

For cold & really wet weather, I’ve had great success with Velotoze under a pair of regular overshoes. The rubber at calf really does stop any water coming in that way (obviously any tights etc need to be outside, socks inside).

At 15/20 euro or so a go, they are not bad value if they keep you dry for 15 rides, but the idea of disposable clothing is very grating. Probably ok for the cyclist who only occasionally ventures out in heavy rain but for commuters etc, even the time needed to put them on and off would be enough to rule them out, never mind the overall longevity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I see what you mean by disposable - I'd consider something I'd used 15 times as being pretty much brand new!

Totally! When I’ve used the Velotoze it’s generally been for a multi day event where you will try anything (even all this faff) to try and keep my shoes dry for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Talc works perfectly on velotoze to unstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Your looking for the impossible. If it rains, your feet will get wet/soaked. the only way to keep your feet dry is not to cycle in the rain.

Another option are winter cycling Shoes/boots. example the Fizic Artic R5 shoes. These will keep your feet warm, but your feet will get wet if it rains heavily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There are also things you can get called ankle cuffs or ankle gaiters which stop the water running down your legs into the boots. I have the Grip Grab ones and use winter boots (only because I find overshoes to be a bit of hassle that have never lasted me too long either). With this combination I can almost keep the feet dry even in a downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Neoprene overshoes are specifically designed to allow your feet to get wet, and then keep them at a constant and manageable temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cling film your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Waterproof socks, sealskinz etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even then, water eventually gets in. I have winter boots and the grip grab gaiters - generally does the job with wet roads, but constant rain will eventually get in. That's with the gaiters to my legs, under water resistant bibs like mistrals. But definitely better than overshoes.

As others have pointed out neoprene isn't meant to keep water out - it keeps the heat in with a thin layer of water underneath (same as wetsuits).

I tried these but they were in no way breathable, meaning feet sweat a lot and got wet, even when it wasn’t raining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Velotoze T2.0 and a nice thick pair of Merino wool socks are usually my go to in dirty conditions.

The velotoze are an absolute brute to get on the first time but once you get the hang of them they're not too bad. As mentioned previously though they're almost single use, I'd usually order a couple of pairs as the smallest of nicks in the material and they split.

Nothing is obviously going to be 100% water proof but short of immersion they keep the water out and the feet warm without sweating.

Advertisement