Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is it to sort out a plane with blown tyres on the runway (Dublin need to)

Options
  • 09-04-2023 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Edit: Now being reported as blown tyres as opposed to full collapse.

Dublin have a collapsed nose wheel on a Ryanair plane blocking the south runway. Just wondering how long does it take to deal with something like this?

Post edited by Pacing Mule on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Thankfully there is a parallel runway on the north side of the airport so not a problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eronayne

On Ei610 waiting to take off.

pilot said about 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Sent via watsap from a friend.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

I do have the comments turned off on that, cant cope.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Photo : Noel Williams

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

AAIB will want to look at it before anything is moved, then to get the runway open, either an airbag lift, or a jack under the body lift point if it will fit, given the remaining wheel is also collapsed, raise it enough to get a suitable dolly under the nosewheel remains, and then carefully pull it off the runway. Notams are giving the runway as closed until 2300, so that's an indication of what's involved. AAIB will also want an exhaustive search of the runway and surrounding area for any other parts that have become detatched, in an effort to try and determine what has failed, and maybe why.

There may be other options, but if I was having to deal with it, I'd want it clear of the runway as quickly as possible, and then somewhere that's out of the way so that they can take their time with the repair, my guess is that it will be quickest to change the nose leg, but I'm not a licensed engineer, so there may be other options or issues that will complicate things.

Looking at the picture on AV Herald, the damage means a towbar can't be attached to what's left of the nose leg, so an alternative method of pulling it clear will be needed, which may mean strapping it down on the dolly before they can try and pull clear, so that will take a few minutes to resolve, and then getting it to a suitable place to allow the runway to be reopened will take some time, given the distance to be moved, it for sure won't be towed off at the normal taxy speed, and it will ideally go into a hangar to enable the new parts to be fitted, and any necessary inspections to be carried out, given the weather forecast for the next few days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They probably still played the jingle when they landed.

• Advertisement

The runway closure was extended by another notam until 0300, so clearly it took longer than originally planned to get it to a state where it could be moved, at some stage we might get to hear how it was done.

It would have been a very different story if the second runway had not yet been opened, the number of cancellations and diversions would have been massive if that had been the case, from comments elsewhere, the northern runway was opened in about 15 minutes.

They would have put 16/34 into operation - not ideal but it would have kept things moving.

Can it be used at the moment with some of the work that's being done on apron and taxy way changes, I was under the impression that 16/34 is being used as a replacement taxy way to get in and out of the 100's and some of the 300 area, and to get to 28R from terminal 2, but I may have got that wrong, I know we used 34 a couple of weeks ago to get round to the eastern edge of the 100 gates after landing on 28L, and there was a lot of blocked off areas close to runway 34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doesn’t look like from the photos that there is much superficial damage to the runway…. Surprisingly. What’s going to be the replacement cost of the nose gear though ? That won’t be reparable and possibly damage up inside the wheel well..

Actually I think you are right as I found this online NOTAM:

EISN/QMRLT/IV/NBO /A /000/999/5325N00616W

A) EIDW

B) 23/04/11 07:01 C) 23/04/11 17:00

E) RWY 16/34 NOT AVAILABLE FOR TAKE OFF OR LANDING EXCEPT FOR SAR. DUE CRITICAL TAXIWAY PROJECT

It appears that the restriction may just be during the hours when works are being performed. Whether 16/34 itself physically can't be used, I am less sure, but if the regulatory position is that it is out of service, I imagine it would at least take some time to make it available and have that approved and promulgated.

Was looking at the FR24 information earlier, seems it took till 28 April to repair the airframe, and it's been back in regular service since then, I'm guessing that quite a bit of that time would have been getting the required parts in, and very careful inspection of things like pivot points and the like for damage.

Advertisement