Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Not at all. I'm just trying to help you improve yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I don't get this logic at all. I see no reason to want City to win this title from our perspective. Take today's minute's silence as one small example - impeccably observed by a classy fanbase. Compare and contrast with a significant majority last weekend who did the annual 'victims' chant. They do this - and worse - every single year and make the same mealy mouthed attempt to 'apologise' for it. Hateful.

And that's before you bring all the state-funded success into it. They are a horrible club with **** fans and short memories. Best of luck to the Gooners. It'll be pretty remarkable if they do win it.

I don't get this logic at all. I see no reason to want City to win this title from our perspective. Take today's minute's silence as one small example - impeccably observed by a classy fanbase. Compare and contrast with a significant majority last weekend who did the annual 'victims' chant. They do this - and worse - every single year and make the same mealy mouthed attempt to 'apologise' for it. Hateful.

And that's before you bring all the state-funded success into it. They are a horrible club with **** fans and short memories. Best of luck to the Gooners. It'll be pretty remarkable if they do win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

100% @mosstin

I'll find our decline more annoying if Arsenal win, because I believe we should have been capable of competing with them, but as a football fan I'd be much happier seeing them win than City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Plus I think if city win again it just further highlights the financial doping that's been done by them.

I like arsenal and like how they play (apart from the time wasting stuff) and objectively I'd prefer for them to win it over city but it comes back to putting the spotlight on state backed clubs with unlimited resources. Wait until Newcastle really get spending.

On the match yesterday very pleased with the second half but what is going on with this team it's so schizophrenic. Seem to drift between rubbish and great when at home and more rubbish than good when away. Still they looked good for most of the second half and probably should have won which is crazy when you think how the season has gone. It really looks like a team at the end of a cycle who can "do it" in spurts but not consistently.

Thought thiago and Bobby made a real difference when they came on. Konate, Allison great too. Trent once he got riled up played a lot better.

Ps Mo needs to come off penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I remember saying before I didn't trust Salah taking penalties and hate his 'technique' on them. It was not well received on here, in fairness he then went on a serious streak of putting them away, so nothing more could be really said but the last couple of pens sort of show why he can't be trusted, I just hate the run up, he doesn't seem in control and is moving too fast coming into hitting it. Give me a cool 3 or 4 steps before slotting it any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Salah did change his style to a more straighter run up after AFCON but has reverted back to his old way again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The media response to the Robertson incident is really terrible imo, ranging from "it was nothing, he just shrugged him" to "he hit him and Robertson deserved it" like I know it's said all the time but imagine that was Harry Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Any other player apart from a Liverpool player it would be different, Carra just sat back and laughed when Roy Keane was calling him a baby on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

This season will be even harder to take if I see arsenal win the title after one good season when we've huffed and puffed for years now losing out on multiple occasions by a point or 2,for this reason I hope city win,plus I know too many arsenal fans but no city so it won't effect me in the slightest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How can you say that? He has had 2 penalties all season in the league and missed them both. There's not enough data to say he changed his style and changed it back. Last season he seemed to just tuck them in the same corner with the same approach he always had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I can’t understand this logic??

You want city who have cheated and spent billions to win it over a club who are trying to do it properly.

Why???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Straighter run up than yesterday's jump to the right after the whistle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd forgotten about that one. Either way, it's a very small sample size to draw conclusions. I don't really understand how we get so few penalties given the amount of possession that we have in the oppositions box and our general fast paced style. You'd statistically expect more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's silly not to trust a peno taker who always scores penos though tbf.

Can we ban ppl saying "I said X here Y years ago and I was criticisms for it but I was right" style posts?

God, they are grating and everywhere these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd echo this. I don't have any issues with Arsenal. And my Dad's a Spurs fan.

To be honest, if it's not us, I don't care who wins. Once it's not Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And while I understand this, I can't get on board with it.

Just about everyone said Liverpool were the bad guys as City continued to dope their way to titles, even as we set records with them. Banter about our title not counting because of Covid. Calls to cancel the season.

From a football POV, yes, Arsenal is the better winner. But nobody gave a toss about how Liverpool competed for 4 years, and most backed the Pep fuelled financial doping machine during that time. So you're grand thanks. It's meaningless if City win it to anyone but City fans. I mean, even Utd fans I know prefer a City win because it's soulless.

So keep it meaningless.

I also don't need Arsenal to win it to know doping machines can be beaten if you catch lightning in a bottle. We've done it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well in fairness I said it years ago that such posts should be banned but no one listened to me.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Salah's record on pens was very good I think. Don't believe he missed one in the league until the last 2. Stepping up and burying the one in the Champions League final should not be forgotten easily.

I'll be happy to see him step up to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Salah misses a penalty: "Can't be trusted"

Salah scores 17 penalties in a row: "..."

Salah misses 2 penalties: "Told you so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So frustrating that game yesterday bit of cop on and attention in the first half and we'd have won comfortably. The defending for the goals was shocking, errors all over, unmarked players, school boy stuff.

We were brilliant after we got one back, keeper pulled out a few world class saves.

On that evidence yesterday I don't see arsenal winning the league, nothing special at all, you go 2 up at anfield you have to kill the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Good result in the end, could have won, can't understand what Konate was at trying to chest it in, anything else and he scores, seemed impossible to miss, but, somehow he did. Yesterday's match encapsulated everything in our season so far, dreadful early on with slap stick defending, then improved, took over and really should have won, loads of missed chances; Salah penalty, Nunez one on one and Konate chest 🙈. It shows that the team can perform to a decent level, so makes all the dreadful performances this season ( including the early part of game) so infuriating and frustrating. Don't really care if Arsenal go on to win the league, they are in a good position, and should hold on, but, wouldn't be surprised if they miss out.

Surely this means next time Salah is manhandled without a whistle he gets to elbow his defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Klopp doesn't seem alligned with your view, Bobby is a shadow of his best and will unlikely to be better next season.

This exactly! We need a rebuild not doubling down on older players (again)...thats worked out well for us this season hasn't it.

Post edited by jones on

Well, yeah tbh?

It's the most senior strikers who have offered the most in Salah and Bobby tbf.

Well, as I understood it, Bobby is leaving is rather than vice versa. If Bobby is a Shadow of himself whilst still outscoring our new 80m man in the league then what does it tell you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That writing off a lad in his early 20s in his first season is utterly moronic? Firminho didn't exactly set the world on fire did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah missing the target from the penalty spot is the most annoying thing. For a pro to miss the target from that distance twice in a row is so rare. Strange he hasn't it in him to slot them away like a Balotelli, where its a case of waiting for the keeper to commit , the rolling it in at 0.002 mph, or if keeper doesn't commit to one side, putting it past him either side at a pace it's impossible to react to, just never go down the middle, it's why he tends to score.

Salah is trying to beat the keeper, when in fact the keeper takes up so little of the goal. Mental gymnastics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I was one of those that wanted City to beat them to the title for petty reasons and a bit of jealousy in all honesty.

Their supporters changed my mind yesterday.

Unfortunately it tells us we don't have a prolific striker apart from Mo but Bobby is done and dusted unless we want to be midtable PL for the foreseeable as that's his level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Yeah I'm in the (hopefully) Arsenal to win camp too. They're going about it the right way with good, fast football and no petro-state to fund it. The respect their fans showed yesterday was refreshing, in light of what other supporters stoop to. Also City encapsulate a LOT of what i dislike about modern football. So in a hushed voice "C'mon Arsenal!"

Yeah but your not comparing like with like. As someone mentioned above it would be better comparing season 1 firmino to season 1 Nunez/Gakpo. We need to trust in the youth. Bobby was an amazing player for us but he's past his prime now and one of the major issues i've had with klopp this season was his seeming ignorance of when players are no longer at their peak and how to play when this occurs. I was actually glad there wasn't talk of extending bobby's contract even though i know he'd do a job for us. Hopefully he can go out on some kind of high - well not high but you know what i mean.

Yeah, eh, I'm not going to call your post moronic or anything that incindiary but obviously Bobby joined a team which was a bit of a shambles whereas Nunez and Gakpo have joined one that was at it's peak.

And, tbf, Bobby's role in the team went waaayyy beyond goals. It was very clear that he allowed Klopp to play a certain way. He also didn't have the benefit of playing with Mane and Salah in the season you've selected. Bobby was never the main man.

Finally, he just didn't cost 80m. Whilst that might not be his fault, it does put added pressure on the club if he had another season like this one.

He's been the second best of our six strikers this season.

He's gone and all but it's really silly to say he wouldn't play a big role in the squad as he's always done.

If Nunez was to repeat his performance this season next season then I hope you'd be applying the same done and dusted criteria.

We don't have to trust in youth for youth's sake. We should be clear on that.

A high risk 80m transfer on a player designed to be one of our two main goalscorers - this isn't some promotion from the youth team.

We finally have six forwards for three positions but one is raw, two are coming back from extreme injury and one could well fancy a move.

One Diaz style injury and we are down to four players for three positions.

It's done and it's what he wants but I'd be worries about the strength in depth there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bobby joined a team which was a bit of a shambles whereas Nunez and Gakpo have joined one that was at it's peak.

You been drinking since September? In what world was this team at it's peak this season?

• Advertisement

He joined a team with one of the best strikers in the world, Bobby had Benteke and Ngog, best keeper, Bobby had Mignolet, best CB, Bobby had Skrtel, I could go on but you are being facetious beyond reason if you are trying to disagree that Nunez joined a much better team than Bobby did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nunez and Gakpo have joined a team that is massively struggling to control much of anything at all, which is a total reversal to our previous recent teams. It's a team where the performances in all the key build-up areas have absolutely undeniably plummeted. On paper 7 or 8 months ago one could've said this team is better than lots of previous teams - but in reality it's very clearly not. It's broken and dysfunctional. As a squad, it's pretty salvageable with the right 3 or 4 additions, but since those positions are all right in the heart of everything they have a lot of pressure riding on them. It really can't be stressed enough how quickly that current midfield has gone from top class and high intensity to one of the absolute worst and most lethargic in the league.

So I would say it's overall fairest to say Bobby and Nunez/Gakpo each joined Liverpool teams at slightly different stages of hefty rebuild processes. The build around Bobby really elevated his game. We can only hope the same will be true of the players added around the two new lads. (NGog was also gone 4 years before Bobby arrived...it was Sturridge, Ings, Origi and Benteke there at that stage.)

You're aware he's gone at the end of the season. Farewell Bobby, done and dusted. Zero point talking about him in context of next season.

Personally, I think Nunez is woeful as he doesn't at all fit in with how a klopp team functions. Bizarre signing imo but he's part of the future so fingers crossed....Bobby isn't so bye bye Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Shame that Milner is getting on in years and rarely on the pitch to take a penalty, he is coolness personified and you trusted him and fancied him for every peno he took.

Salah is just too helter skelter in his run up, does not exactly strike the ball well and you watch his penos with a sense of dread. Interesting that Gakpo was taking corners against Arsenal, wonder if he fancies it from the spot. After that not many options, maybe Trent, I guess he could be trusted to strike it well and find the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seen a fella on Twitter say that new investment is coming in the summer through GIC Private Limited. I done a quick check and they are a Singapore Investment Fund. He stated that FSG have sanctioned the sale of 33% of the clubs value of 4BN. He seems very assured of himself that this deal has been done already and the news will break at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Was at the game, great game and serious respect to the Arsenal fans throughout. Respected the minutes silence and sang in support of their own team and no songs about poverty or tragedies - well done and well done to Arteta and his team of coaches on the respect shown also. Want them to win the league any day of the week when it’s a choice of them and City. Good luck to them.

Arsenal have shown that the gap between mediocrity and superiority is a thin one when the right decisions are made. They were where we are not very long ago and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

This stat was in a piece The Athletic did on who could replace Salah as penalty taker,

Since the start of 2019-20, Darwin Nunez has scored 11 penalties from 11 attempts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If they're to take Salah from the penalties then it has to go to Nunez. He was Benfica's penalty taker and it would be seen as a serious vote of no confidence if Klopp were to give them to another player, who was never been a regular penalty taker over his supposed main striker who has taken them at every club in his career to date.

Advertisement