Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Augusta National Golf Club

Options
  • 10-04-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

A mad one - even a bit of fun.

Has anyone played the course - even tried - know anyone who played it ?

Would you like to - I think everyone would ?

In the good old days of the forum and mad characters around here - there used to be a lad that would come on and say he played it - and it was just a hilly field. I do know A Posk Punk went and watched the event - and that probably as as good as anyone will ever get.

But has anyone played - and is it literally impossible to get out on the course, as has been suggested.

I don't think Rick is the most eloquent story teller - but here was his experience.

Post edited by charlieIRL on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

A pal of mine from college moved to the US and the company he was working had a huge client was a member there and he invited some of them down for the Masters in 2018 the year Patrick Reed won it. He got to play it in October 2018 then, again asked by the same guy. He said it was just unbelievable, an absolutely incredible place that’s difficult to describe.

He said over the 18 holes, he remembers about 4 of his shots. He spent the entire time in a bit of a daze. On every hole they walked onto the pro tees and walked from there down to the member tees and the difference was ridiculous. He said it’s a totally different course from the very back. In terms of difficulty - he can remember the greens were mayhem but with the help of the caddie he hit a fair amount of them in regulation but just couldn’t putt with the breaks and the speed.

His main memory of the course is that the course is a very eerie place when there’s no crowds, grandstands etc. a huge, vast property with essentially nobody on it only ground staff and as it was a wild enough day in October the only noise was from wind in the trees. To hear him describe the day and the round is amazing but like I said, he can only really remember hitting a couple of shots. He was hoping they’d get to eat some dinner at the course but they were ferried off to a poxy burger restaurant in the town and that made the whole day even more bizarre. Going from Augusta National to a burger joint where he picked up the tab for 4 people and had change out of $100!

He went back last year for one of the practice days but not the tournament proper and said it was mad, he had the same freedom/rights on an official tournament practice day with 40,000 others than he had playing with 3 others on a deserted course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes, I played it a few years ago, popped in to relax after a hard day flying the Space Shuttle.

Anyway, I read that of 300 members, 12 are not from the US. One of them is a businessman from NI - a golf referee, member of the R&A, former captain of Royal County Down etc The only chance I'd have of playing it would be if my life path somehow crossed with that of someone like him.

Not gonna happen. Also, I had a relative (now deceased) with net worth close to 9 figures, very keen golfer, loads of international contacts in golf and business and he never came close to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes - even when you get into some of these places - getting then into eat and use facilities is another level. It is a little like that in even RCD - Portmarnock and Royal Dublin - but in America - you kind of shouldn't be in it at all.

Great story - he was very lucky. And must have made a great impression to get an invite.

Sure even Player was saying this

Yes - that is how hard it is and what I have heard. Mental.

He got an email a week or two before he went with the rules when you’re a guest. He and his boss were invited down but when they got to Augusta they had to go in and get changed in a petrol station or a diner or something and then were picked up by the member. They couldn’t get past the front gate if they weren’t driven in by the member.

They were given something like 25 or 30 mins on the practice range and then that’s it you have to go for your tee time. He said he wasn’t even nervous on the first tee, he was just so taken aback by the whole thing he didn’t even think to get nervous.

He showed us the email he got when we was home the Christmas after he played and there was a huge amount in it but the big thing I remember from it was (in not so many words) basically don’t talk to anyone about anything. Keep your mouth shut and just play golf. No member wants a guest who does/says something stupid that will get them kicked out of the club. The guy he played with was mega wealthy/powerful and was a nice chap but when it came to the course - he absolutely played by the rules, which I’m sure they all do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

why do people aspire to this kind of shite

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You'd kinda have to ignore what the great Gary says, while he is a truly remarkable person his reputation on Tour was very poor throughout his career and his is very vocal since

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I got a taxi in Atlanta a few years back and golf came up, the taxi drivers bro in law is a member and he got out once. He said he was a scratch golfer and did not rate the course. Found it very open (impossible to lose a ball) but the hanging lies were ridiculous. He said it's a joke of a place as the greens are setup for one week of the year all year so putting was impossible for any visitor, the breaks/speed were crazy and he did nothing but three and four putt

I'd have zero interest in being a member of a place like that ...about 3 clubs in Dublin I wouldn't join if they paid me...but I think wanting to play the course and having a full knowledge of the course would be class.

But you are right - the idea that if you get in , don't say anything in case you say the wrong thing - is off the wall stuff. It basically is like a secret society - also looking at members - I'd say it is a hackers paradise (literally)

Well he is right that he can't get a tee time without a member - seen the same with a Faldo pod - Rick Shiels is looking to play it and he was told the same - but They have tried to open up a little over the last few years with their amateurs events etc - but will be interesting if they embrace a You Tuber and let him film on site. He was being very lofty on that one (as he admitted) - you never know - Faldo would have great contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭GolfPar

Faldo can't even play it when he wants. The only time he can play is the Sunday beforehand and he can bring a guest. This is the perk awarded to a former 3 time champion. Apart from this he has to play with a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rick played the course the day after The Masters! No video recording was allowed though! Must have been Mercedez Benz that got him the round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

3 simple steps to playing Augusta

• Pack in the day job and become a full time golf journalist.
    • Get a media pass to cover the masters for your publication.
    • Win the media ballot to play Augusta on the Monday after the masters. I read that 28 out of the several hundred media covering the event get to play.

Easy! 😃

Kinda ridiculous if a You Tuber can get out and they torture past champions for a round...considering all the show they put on around the champion...

In fairness..Gary has a point....

He is the biggest YT in fairness (by a long way) and does a lot to raise the profile of the game.

Jammy ba5t@rd

I do get it - I know these guys are influential and an important part of the golf industry now. But there is something seriously wrong in the world, when a top well connected successful businessman - and two multiple winners complain about how hard it is to get out - or at times, can't get out.

But a range pro from Bolton - who struggles to break 75 and his mate ? - gets out. Rick is a nice lad - but hardly deep or insightful into anything. Most of the things he says are just - " legend" - " Just amazing" - " great news" - " incredible" - " I can't explain" - " sensational"

The world is mental.

No filming - so yes - still strict on rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id much prefer someone like rick shiels to get to play there than some rich t*sser though to be honest

True...but most people on the list of members are actual CEOs or owners of significant companies...and they have made significant achievements in life .....

I'm still not (maybe one day I will) at a stage where I consider a You Tuber to be at the level of say Bill Gates (who is a member).

I know YT is a career...but I still don't apply merit to it over say a person who actually goes to a top university or gets an actual qualification in anything...

In fairness Rick came into YT as a teaching pro and isn't a pure YT merchant...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rick is at least a teaching pro with a huge following. The lad playing with him is only known for being the brother of a soccer YouTuber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a bit mad that they let a YouTuber onto augusta and don't let him film it. What's the point?

I actually kind of like his videos. They're nonsense, I kind of feel like they're aimed at teenagers more than adults, but throwing on a break 75 when you want something not distracting in the background is fine. His podcast is awful though. It really is absolutely dreadful.

And in spite of what I said first, I'm kind of happy for him that he couldn't film there. It's a lifetime goal of every golfer to play Augusta. Getting to play it and be forced to not work for it must have been amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Cause he will talk shite about it FOREVER

the second half of his back swing makes my eyes go sore (ignoring his chipping)

I have no idea how he become the biggest youtuber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Agreed, I actually can't stand him. He gets on my wick in a bad way. There is definitely a valid business out there for someone with a bit of a personality and isn't a kn0bhead when Rich Shiels is the biggest (golf) thing on Youtube

I like the lad ...Nice lad...puts great enthusiasm into it ...but if you listened to his pod ...he doesn't have anything very insightful to say ...80 % of his content is about clubs and when he is on a course it is just about his score. He rarely gets deep into the course at all...design...history ...People outside of him...

His personality is supposed to carry all this ...but again he isn't really a great character or loads of fun. He just loves his golf ...but is that enough to get 2.5 million subscribers....obviously is...but has to be more to it ....

Anyway has worked for him ...because if he says he wants to play anywhere ...they are falling over him to line it up ...even st Andrews seem to have an open door for him.

It is about the likes of the RandA using SM to try modernise and in general it is good...but it seems to have taken a lazy enough option of picking a You Tuber with most hits and who has significant corporate sponsorship...is it not just the old model on a new platform.

Like a video going on for months of wanting to play Augusta how it happened for an average punter would be great ...

For Rick,,,Mercedes made a few calls ...I played Augusta ...was amazing .....jaysus...a bit lazy ....not exactly a journey or life oddesy or journalism or even writing....it is all just hashed together quickly made "content" ....the insatiable need for new content, any content...no matter how big or small the occasion...

Actually better stories here...

The 2.5m followers is a bit dubious, there’s been a fair few rumours that he more or less sold the channel and retains a small percentage of it so that could explain the reason for the “growth” if it is true. Although a lot of the rumours could have come from his competitors on YouTube.

Look to be fair to him he does a lot of decent videos, they’re grand to stick on if you’re stuck for something to watch. His accent alone is enough to make me turn off after 15 or 20 mins. The break 75 videos are grand, i usually stick them for maybe 25 mins then flick to the end to see what he actually scored. Some of the US videos with Ricky Fowler and that are grand as well.

Not sure how he got to actually play Augusta, was it through Mercedes? He’s obviously sponsored by them so. The Monday times are for media only and there’s only 28 players allowed on the course so he either came out in the media lottery, which is unlikely because he wasn’t working in a media position for the week, or he got in via a corporate contact such as was suggested above. If that is the case then more than likely there were only 27 media personnel drawn out in the lottery and he got the last spot. Phillip Quinn the Irish journalist was in Augusta for the first time in a working capacity last year and came out in the lottery. A chap I know covered 24 straight tournaments and never came out once. He’s retired now so won’t ever get the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Doesn't he have some tie in with some Saudi backers or something? Him and a few of the more popular channels?

Felt he was very on the fence / pro LIV when it came up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thought it was him, Finch and the Jazzy Golfer or something like that, all had some linkage to the same management company that are owned by the Saudis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus I think ye are being awful harsh on Rick above!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Niall Horan has played there a few times -

I think i'd be happy with just being able to attend the Masters, if I had to pick play Augusta or attend the Masters I'd pick attend!!!

@NiallHoran went out and shot an 81 at Augusta. Just out here living the absolute dream. - YouTube

• Advertisement

Just a gentle reminder of our Charter folks as we are drifting a wee bit

Ethical/Wealth

This is a golf forum, the source of money funding Golf from corporations/countries/individuals wealth along with the social/government/rulings within that corporation/individual/country is strictly forbidden.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement