Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

You can be sure the breakdown of that 5m will be as follows:

- 500k transporting a few dogs over from Ukraine, business class

- the remaining 4.5m on fat cat consultancy fees

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

We're fortunate to be free to disagree on this even if I'm not sure everyone is genuine or in possession of the facts.

There'll be a free and fair election soon enough and we'll vote for the candidates that reflect our views. Never take that for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where is that 100,000 in 1 year figure coming from exactly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Google it yourself don't be so lazy.

*The Government said accommodation has been sourced for almost 60,000 people fleeing the war in Ukraine, and 20,000 other asylum seekers.

In addition, another 20,000 Ukrainian refugees have found their own accommodation.

In all, the number of new arrivals totals 96,400*

Your trolling game is severely lacking, but anyway:

I've already put a post up re: elections in this country. It is not a fully transparent system. Gardai (who work for the government) take ballot boxes away from the counting centres overnight, and return them again in the morning. Those boxes used to be properly sealed, but are now held closed with cable ties, lol.

We've already established in this thread that the government are lying to the people re: legal obligations around accepting refugees. You're essentially trusting this same government not to tamper with votes that could oust them from power, which they can easily do in the current set-up.

Therefore, it might be wise for citizens to insist on a transparent voting system where voting continues overnight, and boxes never physically leave the counting center (with the entire process monitored from start to finish by independent auditors, of course).

Until that happens, you might be wasting your time with all these "free and fair elections" 🤡😄

• Advertisement

I googled and cant find anything at all to back up your claim.

Your claim was that 100,000 came here in 1 year.

I found some 2022 figures suggesting 70,000 Ukrainians and 13,000 asylum seekers.

The article you are quoting is about isnt about new arrivals for 1 year.

The figure you have just doesnt seem true from anything Ive looked at.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're in Trumpland with that post.

Irish elections are managed and overseen to the highest standard and it's an insult to the many thousands of presiding officers that make our elections tick.

Counting is watched like a hawk by party tallymen (who are typically very experienced) and I have never heard of any election swindles turning up. And tallymen (or women) would be very quick to bring it to light if there was.

Spend a day in a count-centre before commenting on this again. Silly stuff.

It makes no sense. The OSCE which does election monitoring all over the world has no concerns re major electoral fraud in Ireland. That post is not just silly. Its off the wall crazed conspiracy suggesting the entire garda force is engaged in widespread electoral fraud. Its absolute and utter crazed bullshít

Terry Pratchet

Your numbers are a nonsense.

The US, accepts well in excess of the 125k "asylum cap" at its southern border. It's probably about 2 million in the past year.

Policy dictates they are processed at the border and released to continue their claims within the US. They don't by policy deport to places like Venezuela or Nicuaraga (or Cuba for many decades), and these source countries consist of the vast majority of migrants accepted across the border.

The 125k is a complete fudge, and that figure is generally regarded as a target for offshore processing of claims for people from trouble spots in Africa the Middle East or other far away from the American homeland.

• Advertisement

www.google.com

Knock yourself out. What I posted is factual.

Millions of Venezuelans, Nicuaraguans and Cubans crossed the southern border in the past couple of years. They are by policy processed by US Border & Customs officials, asylum claims are lodged and they are let on their way. They are not going home because the US has those countries on a sh*tlist so they wont deport to there and the Mexicans refuse to take them. Other nationalities are generally refused permission to cross, but those nationalities aren't, and they cross in the millions.

Watch the news every now and again, this was a huge news item the past couple of years.

😂

Mother of God. Where to start with that post.

You were spoonfed them.

Millions of Venezuelans, Nicaraguans and Cubans have crossed into the US over the past couple of years. Have been processed for asylum, and made their way to cities all over the US.

Consult your search engine of choice to find out more. Sorry you didn't read a newspaper over the past 24 months. That's on you not me.

Lol, you're all over the map. An asylum seeker by definition is someone whose case has not yet been determined.

The US has admitted millions of such asylum seekers over the last couple of years - primarily from Venezuela, Cuba and Nicuagra.

For more information, please see www.bing.com

You're so wrong it hurts people's eyes reading your posts. And no, for political reasons Biden has not "clamped down" on asylum seekers from the countries I've mentioned. Just speaking of Cubans alone, by US law, once they touch US soil they are never sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

And there we have it.

The full suite of Muskovyte civil destabilisation ploys.

We were warned it was coming but I honestly thought we were more robust than to even notice it.

Oh yes they have. Biden explicitly put carve-outs in his legislation for Haitians, Venezuelans, Cubans and Nicuagrans to allow them claim asylum at the southern border. And they've done so by the millions.

If those nationalities show up, they are processed and let on their way.

I love when this happens on boards, someone throws down an anchor on a hilariously wrong point, and they pummel themselves over the head making themselves more wrong with each post.

Great entertainment of a bank holiday monday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@[Deleted User] do not post in this thread again

You are claiming that millions have ALREADY entered the US from those countries in the last few years and been granted asylum.

No I didn't, I said asylum seekers and, for the record, so did you (post 3873 and 3875 in case you try to wriggle out of it). And it is factual, millions did enter from those countries and have been given leave to apply for asylum. Legislation also allows for the entry and processing of 30'000 from those countries per month.

Do your homework next time.

Ireland has accepted circa 85k to 90k in 2022, vs the US accepting 25k

🤣

A litte tip: If you want to shift the goalposts, Ireland has not issued 85-90k asylum approvals via the IPO in 2022. Nowhere near it. So you're caught talking pony once again. You may indeed be talking about asylum seekers and lumping-in Ukrainians who don't go through the asylum system at all, but you are certainly not talking about approved asylum claims with those numbers.

You conflate terms when you want, and then you go off the reservation when you're caught out.

You remind me of Wes Mantooth in Anchorman...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Not seeing any links or stats. I googled.

President Biden affirmed the United States’ commitment to welcoming refugees by increasing the total admissions ceilings in the FY 2022 and FY 2023 Presidential Determinations on Refugee Admissions to 125,000, the highest target in several decades.

This is a significant increase as it was only 18,000 in 2020.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/us-refugee-resettlement

Not sure what @Yurt2 is talking about. Wherever @Yurt2 goes civility seems to disappear and insulting language follows.

• Advertisement

😂

Oh you're moving back to asylum seekers now yeah?

Right, like I said, the US has permitted millions of asylum seekers from Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti and Nicuagra in the past couple of years. And continues to do so at volumes of 30k people a month by legislation.

You took a long time getting there, but you're nearly there. Shame it means you have to eat crow and admit you're wrong.

Terry Pratchet

Wrong.

Venezualans, Hatians, Cubans and Nicuagrans are admitted through a humanitarian parole program separate to the mainstraim asylum process (which deals with offshore applications)established by the Biden administration (allowing 30k per month) and those already in-situ in the states from the past couple of years were granted leave to apply for asylum through this process also.

You can throw shade because you got paddled in another thread, but you're not going to save-face in this one. Soz.

@Yurt2 I'm not here to insult people. I'd appreciate if you dropped the abuse, it's not funny and adds nothing. In fact, you lower the tone of conversation with your adversarial diatribes. If you went around talking like that in public to random people, I'm sure it wouldn't go in your favour so why do it here, hiding behind a pseudonym? It doesn't make you a big man, just irritating.

I gave two links from the US government. Can you perhaps back up your claims with supporting references?

Do some google-fu. I'm not your search engine. What I posted is fact. Those 4 nationalities are admitted under humanitarian grounds at a volume of 30k per month to the US and those that arrived in the last two years were permitted to advance their asylum claims. All easily searchable and I'll leave you to it if you're able.

You're rather salty yourself, I know you came off the worst in the other thread and you took this as an opportunity to stick the boot in. The only problem is I'm right on this matter and you and Sancho are wrong.

The US admitted 25500 Asylum Seekers/Refugees in 2022.

🤣

The US are admitting up to 30k a month from southern border applications alone. Do you ever get tired of posting incorrect information? Never mind the millions that have arrived and are now advancing their claims in-country.

Your "83'000" is a conflation of Ukrainians who don't go through the asylum seeking process at all and actual applicants from other countries (many of whom who will not be approved), which is a much smaller number. But you wouldn't want to admit that for the purposes of your arguement which is falling apart in front of your eyes do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭beeker1

Well relative to the Germans, its miniscule, as for the blocking of Dublin Airport , its Brian Poole and his cromcastle thugs , posing as republicans , you're local sinn fein reps , spare us !

In the NATO thread you dismissed me as a tankie.

Tankie is a pejorative label for leftists, particularly Stalinists, who support the authoritarian tendencies of Marxism–Leninism or, more generally, authoritarian states associated with Marxism–Leninism in history.

I reported you and was threatened instead by the moderator on reporting your uncivil behaviour. Look at the Russia thread banned users.

This forum is not a place to discuss the war if you want a ceasefire and an end to the carnage. I didn't come off the worse in the other thread, I put forward my view and engaged in the discussion and then left as the vile debasement of dialogue took over. I'm sure you're still there insulting anyone with an opinion that doesn't rely on the lord of the rings.

Back to here, quite happy to accept I'm wrong. According to you there were an extra 360,000 Venezuelans and others accepted giving a total of 360k + 125k refugees accepted in 2022. Grand total of 485k.

All I could find was this.

The expanded humanitarian program would build on a policy launched in October that allowed thousands of Venezuelans to enter by air if they applied from abroad and could demonstrate they had a U.S. sponsor, two U.S. and one Mexican official said on Wednesday.

Appears to be for migrants not refugees, (30k migrants per month), and they appear to require sponsors according to Reuters. I couldn't find the 30k refugees/ asylum seekers per month of which you spoke. Anyway assume your Google skills are better than mine and bow to your superior googling.

Perhaps you could work on your manners next and perhaps elevate them to the level of civilised human.

🤣

So Venezuelans fleeing Venezuela are not asylum seekers because you're floundering and you said so? False. Venezuelans are the definition of asylum seekers. The UNHCR refers to the 7 million that have left Venezuela as refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in their literature. And I'll be taking their word for it before yours.

FYI, I never used a 360k figure for Venezuelans in the US, you did. There are also other nationalities that arrived in the US for asylum in that wave, that are both in the US and subject to humanitarian entry program at the border. So you may get out your Fisher Price calculator for them also.

Report away - you were peddling classic Tankie nonsense in that thread, though for the sake of everyone, perhaps you should keep it to that thread. And if you want to get precious about "insults" perhaps you should wind your neck in with your last sentance there. You don't want to run the risk of being a hypocrite as well as everything else do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

Approved asylum seekers are called refugees ! The clue is in the wording. Asylum seeker denotes someone who is seeking asylum. I’m really not sure how many times this has to be explained to people. Similarly, there is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker, certainly not in Ireland anyway. Someone may have entered the State illegally, but once your application has been accepted you are legally entitled to remain in the State pending a decision.

Advertisement