Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The 2 euro price is perfectly fine. Its the current price. Yes.

It is influenced by Govt regulation, as are all things.

funny how you're fine with the govt regulating to cap a price, but not so keen if their regulation helps raise a base.

You like Regulation when it suits you, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL did you actually just try to use the rent cap as an example to defend your "market price" idiocy? Fvcking hilarious, go and ask a landlord affected by the rent cap if they are charging their renters "market price" for their property. FYI i'm not arguing against the rent cap just calling out how epically stupid and ignorant your analogy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You've no idea what posters views on rent caps are and it's entirely irrelevant.

Posters can be pro-both, anti-both, pro one and not the other all for different reasons.

It was clear your argument had no substance when you ran away from the straightforward €1 - €2 scenario with a nonsensical answer "perfectly fine" so now you have to resort to inventing their opinions on an entirely different subject. As if you couldn't be more wrong already.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If its ok for the govt to cap a price via regulation, how can it not be ok to set a floor via regulation?

I know numerous Landlords and those in RPZs accept their market rent is capped below what they could charge, if the Rent cap was removed.

The Landlords do understand that rent is expensive for people, but they are also fully aware that they could charge more, if it were not for the Govt Regulation.

So, not sure I get your point?

I answered your question.

2 euro is the new market price, influenced by Govt regulation amongst other market forces.

Therefore, 2 Euro is the new market price....for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where would a poor person get €35 to buy 48 cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's just pure falsehoods. You literally haven't a clue what a market price is. The fact you keep doubling down on your nonsense is quite hilarious. Question, what other consumer price are fixed by government with a minimum price?

Farming products are subject to minimum pricing through govt regulation obviously.

Your pint of milk etc will never fall below a certain level in the shops, so that farmers can sell the product at a functional level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

So laughable it's not even worthy of a response

Well that's not correct, milk quotas ended in 2015, try again.

• Advertisement

Great response there kid.

Now, back to your cheap cans...off you go.

CAP still exists fella. Back to school with you.

I wil leave you boys to it now as I dont want to derail the thread.

I know its annoying when that happens.

The market price is always a price set within the parameters of Government regulation.

I know some of you think its unfair, but it is what it is.

Grand so please link to the exact regulations within CAP that cover a minimum milk price

Yes, you just confirmed you haven't a clue. Not a literal clue.

Can you point to the exact section of the CAP or any Irish law that sets a minimum price for milk in the shops?

Imagine being this utterly convinced that you're right even though you're utterly wrong in every way. Unreal.

It occurs in the labour market, minimum wage. The majority of American states set a minimum price for tobacco products. That was actually tried in Ireland, but the EU forced us to drop it. Same with France and Austria when they tried it. But the law can be what it wants to be, and the EU court ruled that members states can decide about alcohol. Ireland certainly took advantage of the leeway to apply severe Excise levels on cigarettes.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/pub-509.htm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/415034/cigarette-prices-across-europe/

Right. The point is that its the exception not the rule. While the government regulates all they do not direct the price the way they do in those specific cases. Conflating such general regulating to directly setting a price is false and misleading.

So now list all the products and markets to which it doesnt happen.

You asked this question:

"How many markets does this occur in?"

There is no rule, except the one you are making up. Different practices are not exceptions, they are different practices. General regulations that set a minimum price are just that, regulations that set a minimum price.

I havent made anything up. MUP required specific legislation. Its not a mere general regulation or an extension.

There is a categorical difference between general regulations and setting a price and its utterly disingenuous to conflate the two - legally, politically and economically.

• Advertisement

You missed this bit in the New York link:

The Cigarette Marketing Standards Act (CMSA) established minimum wholesale and retail selling prices for cigarettes. You may not purchase or sell cigarettes at a price less than the minimum price set by law.

From elsewhere:

The CMSA is enforced by the New York Department of Taxation and Finance.7 Violations of the CMSA incur both civil and criminal penalties. Civil penalties include license suspensions and fines of up to $20,000 for the first violation (both of which may increase for subsequent violations). 8 Violations also constitute a class B misdemeanor, if criminally convicted.

So you ignore price differences between us and other countries but are perfectly happy to use foreign NON-EU laws to back up your argument, thats a tad hypocritical of you

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I see our alcohol hating government have brought teetotal Joe Biden to a Louth pub for a speech tonight, a well placed Guinness ad in the background. Is there any other government in the world who regularly drags world leaders to the pub the way Ireland does?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Nope, Newry is a lot cheaper and its a market one hour up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Does that make the alcohol any less expensive in comparison to other countries though?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As usual like is not being compared with like

Super-strength ciders attract much lower excise in the UK than here so they were the choice "bang per buck" option for many problem drinkers - MUP in Scotland had a big effect on their price.

The category didn't really exist here even before MUP because our excise regime made it unattractive. In other words we didn't need MUP to prevent cheap super-strength ciders becoming popular with problem drinkers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I was trying to do a comparison between March 2014, and the time just before the deals ceased on the Booze Megathreads after MUP. But it is too much like work, all the different combinations of can/bottle size, and the numbers in a pack. But I got the impression that the prices had not gone up much on the special offers.

The posts below were interesting, from just before Patrick's Day 2014. I can't remember any backlash against the deals, except where the supermarkets were criticized for doing them on Child Benefit Day. Obviously there were even better deals a few years earlier at 50 cents a can.

kn wrote: »

Overall they are not 'great' offers though. I remember it was Tesco that went BOGOF on €24 slabs (circa 50c a can) one Paddy's day 5 or 6 years ago that started the backlash against the supermarket drink offers.

Atlantic Dawn wrote:

Them is the prices of now I am afraid, if I had use of the Delorean I'd be back every Friday evening for a few crates but sadly I don't. Most of the above is below cost price.

From The Irish Times 2012:

'Children's Allowance' drink deal slated

Centra has today apologised for a promotion run in four of its stores, which targeted Child Benefit recipients with offers of…

Brian O'Connell

Tue Jul 3 2012 - 01:00

Centra has today apologised for a promotion run in four of its stores, which targeted Child Benefit recipients with offers of low price alcohol.The company has instructed the stores to withdraw the promotion. The offer entitled 'Children's Allowance Day Deals', prompted widespread criticism and had led to calls for the company to make an apology.

Two alcohol products were included in the offer. A case of Miller beer was promoted for €15, or 75 cents a bottle, while two cases of Budweiser beer were on offer for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have seen an academic working paper on the impact of MUP in Scotland, versus a control group of Northern Ireland.

Please note: I don't think this has been published yet, so it may not have been subject to peer-review yet.

Here are the results:

"Using data from 6,000 households participating in the UK longitudinal household study, difference-in-difference regression is employed to infer the effect of MUP, comparing the pre-intervention and post-intervention change in alcohol behaviours of participants from Scotland relative to a ‘control’ group of those from Northern Ireland.

The estimation results unveil no statistically significant effects of MUP on reported alcohol scores and behaviours for the general adult population. Few differential effects for various subgroups were evident, though there was a suggested reduction in alcohol harm scores for some income quintiles, driven by a reduction in number of drinks consumed on a typical drinking occasion."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Dont worry the late bars and clubs will be open till 6am for health concerns

Advertisement