Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can indeed print it out, along with a nice treatise on the definition and history of positive action in addressing inequality.

Why are you so afraid of actually addressing inequality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The female pundits in the World Cup on bbc and itv were dreadful. Stating the obvious, inability to counter anything said by any other pundits so were just nodding dogs. The perception of women in football would be helped by having a female pundit that could impress but we wait for that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Any female pundit on men's football or rugby has never played the game at anything remotely approaching that level and have no business bring there. Good analysis requires far more than just knowing the theory, you need to draw on experience. That's not to say that all male pundits are good, they're not,some are awful, step forward Rio Ferdinand. All women pundits for top level men's sport are token gestures/ affirmative action or whatever you want to call it. Get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I must say it completely alienates me and I basically no longer watch punditry as a result.

There are excellent women pundits. In cricket, Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford Brent are both insightful and charismatic, and likewise Tanya Sachdev in chess. But so, so often they are vapid and dull, which is compounded by the fact that they often played the sport at a much lower level than that which they’re commentating on.

People say that men can be just as bad, and that’s certainly true. I can’t stand, for example, Rob Kearney. But at least he can be said to be one of the best players of his generation. He’s not very insightful but his reputation gives some interest to what he’s saying. But the women don’t have that, and so platitudes delivered in a monotone are just unacceptable. And, anyway, if they’re going to shake things up and push women on the viewer, the expectation should not be just that they match the worst male pundits.

I know many people will read this as sexist, but answer me why I am willing to watch hours of test cricket with women commentators, sometimes breathing a sigh of relief when they take over from male commentators I don’t like, if my issue with these pundits is their gender.

It’s disrespectful to the viewer to install inexperienced and uninteresting pundits purely on grounds of diversity and expect us not to notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If the bible has taught us nothing else (and it hasn't)......its that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing and such and such.......

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Being a decent analyst has got nothing to do with previous ability as a player. Most of the high level ex pros are dull as dishwater.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s not sexist, but it is misogynistic.

Why does the commentary on a sport have such an influence on whether you watch it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

How casually I’m accused of misogyny - a hatred of women.

I think we might have chanced upon the answer. Those defending the phenomenon are too stupid to assess the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

From male pundits I either want them to be insightful, bringing their years of experience playing the mens game to the table, or entertaining - winding others up, getting arguments going.

Female pundits all come from a level so much worse than the mens game it's beyond belief. Stephanie Roche is rolled out on RTE from time to time and if you dumped her at the peak of her career into the mens system, she'd settle probably at a level in the double figures in the English divisional system. She has no expertise on the mens game. She played at an absolutely terrible level, relative to Premier League level or Champions League level or Mens World Cup level.

And none of the female pundits are remotely entertaining. Just bland and boring. No expertise, no personality. Karen Carney another example. Just an absolutely dire pundit. Nothing intelligent to say, and nothing interesting or entertaining to say. No chemistry with the male pundits.

A pure box ticking exercise that diminishes the quality of the overall show. But the vocal types on twitter that would never watch the sports anyway love it, so of course it has to happen.

The poster said that they don't watch punditry as a result, not the sport itself. Didn't bother reading the post did you?

The perception of women in football will never be changed because it is a dramatically inferior level to the mens game. The best womens teams in the world are getting annihilated by under 14 boys teams. It's an atrocious standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Come on now, you know damn well that literally any criticism of a female is utter blatant misogyny, and if you disagree a boards mod will ban you until you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Remember when you closed this thread:

"A girl in work was chatting to me at lunch about her idea that she'd like to see implemented, constituencies should have a minimum number of women candidates, ideally 50%. And a person's ballot paper won't be valid unless they select at least one woman, whether that's first or tenth or whatever preference.

I was amazed what she was coming out with. I hope such ideas are not mainstream. As a woman myself, I would not want to be elected as token candidate. Are quotas rubbish?"

I PM'd you about it, your response was "I have good reason. At the moment I can’t elaborate further."

Anytime anyone starts a thread that is even vaguely critical of women/their opinions it gets modded. This very thread has a mod warning for "blatant misogny" FFS.

I presume that none of yiz have ever enjoyed any commentary or punditry from any of the non-playing male pundits who peaked on the B team in 5th year, the professional journalists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

As i pointed out the Mod has no issue with people slating male pundits. Not very good ''Moderating'' now is it?

Despite what some think not all male pundits are good and not all female ones bad.

The point is people getting jobs as a token and then having a different set of standards.

For example imo Joanne Cantwell is one of the worst sports show hosts RTE for had in a long time. Is it because she's female? No it's not. She's just not good. Did she on the other hand get the job because she's female? Yes she did. Ursula Jacob is another good example. If anyone dares say a bad word about her they're shot down. Not forgotten for ''I know more about hurling than Liam Sheedy'' line last year. If a male pundit came out with that they'd be ripped to shreds.

Take soccer for example. As has been said Lisa Fallon is there on merit and is quite good. But then you have Stephanie Roche who's still living off one goal from almost 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The thing about a camogie or ladies football player analysing the respective male sports is that there are different rules so they simply don't have the real-life experience of the game they are covering. 45's instead of 65's in camogie, up to recently you were allowed use your hand to score a goal (may still be a rule, not sure). Allowed to pick the ball off the ground in ladies football and a different tackling parameter. Non-existent kick-out and puck-out routines in both as their skillset is so poor.

It'd be like Roger Federer doing punditry for the badminton world championship. Yes they are both racket sports, but chalk and cheese. At least mens and womens soccer have universal rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are 28 in-game rule differences between LGFA and GAA, with additional differences in games administration.

They are different games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Joanne Cantwell is an excellent host in my opinion.

Suppose that's the thing with opinions.

Jacob on the other hand offers a stream of clichés. But then a lot of pundits are guilty of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think Alex Scott gives an outstanding analysis on each and every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not really thought.

15 players, the same positions, the same scoring system, the same tactics.

If a female analysts can see that a corner back is being roasted by a forward in a ladie's game she can spot the same in a men's game.

If she can see that a team a pushing up on kick outs or conceding short ones in a ladie's game she can also identify that in a men's game.

A smart ladies player can read a game just as well as a smart men's player.

• I do remember. You’re still talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭thehairygrape

Thinking again about this thread. There is a difference between presenters, who tend to be professionally trained broadcasters, and pundits, who tend to be ex players or current coaches, and who tend not to be trained broadcasters.

RTE punches above its weight in both areas. Athletics: Peter Collins, Sonia, Derval, Rob (Jerry Kieran RIP). Great team. Hard to find better on any channel,. Gender not relevant as it should be.

GAA. I think Joanne Cantwell is a fine broadcaster. Jacqui Hurley fine in both GAA and Rugby. Both professional broadcasters. Again, gender not relevant. Pundits: well pundits vary across both genders. I’d trust Fiona Coughlan to explain what goes on in a scrum to Shane Horgan (who I like) as Horgan has probably never in his life packed down. GAA, soccer, rugby. Good and bad, male or female. But if there is a choice of channel for a match or something like the Olympics I’d always opt for RTE.

The Beeb are good for no ads. Again, broadcasters like Gabby Logan, Hazel Irvine and Claire Balding or Sue Barker do a fine job. Soccer is a bit of a disaster. Can’t stand the ‘blokeiness’ of Lineker, Richards and Shearer, who really have zero insight. Just as bad on ITV. Can’t think of any good male or female pundit tbh. Have to agree with a previous poster that Roy Keane is a terrible pundit. Great fun to watch though and I have great time for his playing record and winning mentality. Female pundits new to the game. Give them time.

Sky and subscription channels. Soccer no thanks. Awful generally. They seem to believe soccer was invented when the Premier League started. Jeff Stelling apart, not worth the subscription fee.

Vigin media a strange one. Rugby ok, but they need to relax a bit. Get rid of the suits for one thing. I like Fiona Steed (Hayes). Soccer. Again ok. Brian Kerr is great in the studio but can’t stand him as a ci-commentator. Never shuts up. They don’t really cover other sports.

TG4 get a pass. Their remit is the promotion of the Irish language and I have no idea what their pundits are saying so they might be very insightful or useless. Sometimes, one of the guys standing there reminds me of the bus driver who’s put in goal in a Junior B match to make up the numbers. Also, that co-commentator is rugby drives me mad. Keeps talking when the ref is explaining a decision to the players. Awful stuff. Donal Lenihan is very good on RTE.

so, to conclude. I watch too much sport on TV. I’m off out for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'Are they there on merit or is it some form of affirmative action?'

I mean obviously a no and very obvious yes ........there is no other explanation it's just how it is now, simply point it out and you're a this and that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I found myself watching the friendly match between Ireland and USA ladies last night and surprisingly Ireland gave a good account of themselves.

But for some very average goalkeeping for both USA goals they could have nicked a notable win.

Anyway, one thing I noticed from commentary (Hamilton and a woman whose name escapes me) is the referring to the players by their first names.

"Good run by Katie there", "nice tackle by Denise" etc etc.

When did this become a thing??

Re that female commentator, google 'horrid Henry' ........I'd read of the comparison never heard of it but is brilliantly spot on 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's a strong case to be made for equality in male/ female punters in sports where they compete at the same level and against each other - horse racing assuming we call it a sport is the prime example.

Other than that, at a higher level - pundits/ experts should be pulled from panels of people who have played the respective sports in whatever relevant gender. Otherwise you just look at them and think - spoofer. And that applies as much to men commenting on womens competitions.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on wiping out the entire field of sports journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are loads of journalists who never played a serious game in thereblife who comment and write on games. Not 1 poster on here who has said only people who played at a high level should be pundits have never said WHY. Dumpy never played at the highest levels

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Found I started really enjoying sports if I just watched the game, made a cup of tea at half time or a break, and turned off once it is over. Avoid all punditry as well as ad breaks. I detest watching adverts.

Tend to record a lot and just watch it back. Don't need any punditry, thank you, whether it's male or female.

I'd recommend this to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Punditry is just a joke nowadays. Most of the time the goal is to continue the narrative through to weekly shows until the next game. Look at all the Carragher vs Neville rubbish.

Some sports move on so quickly that retired players become outdated within a few years of retirement. Rugby is particularly noticeable at that

Not necessarily even against each other, there are very few sports where that happens .......but athletics for instance where very high levels can be performed by both men and women .......I personally have never had any problem with female athletes commenting overall on athletics, tennis possibly another .......both individual sports by coincidence, maybe it's just the team sport thing that doesn't transfer over as well .......female football/rugby players just don't compete at anything like the same level .....that's where I have the problem with them brought on to comment on the mens game

Presenters or journalists is a different thing altogether, they could be anything doesn't matter ....they never make a play of calling on experience

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

Johnny Giles is a much loved legend of Irish soccer but he may as well be giving his opinion on Badminton for the relevance of his experience to modern soccer. His opinion is still worth hearing.

I think the female pundits know they'll be held to a higher standard and generally I find they're well prepared, sometimes better than former male players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It is pure tokenism and only serves to patronise itself. I actually feel sorry for the female " experts" that are being asked to give their input into a sport that no one even knows they play or where they play it?

I don't think coerced sociality is a good idea. Inclusion is not all it is cracked up to be.

Now if she is pleasing on the eye mind you.......

This pushing of women's soccer is a waste of time. I went to school with thousands and thousands of women, they all thought soccer was crap and had no interest in it.

Tennis is different, women's tennis matches are very enjoyable and competitive, they always have been. Same for hockey, women's hockey is fine.

Why do Camogie players wear skorts and the peile na Mná wear pants , what is that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"I went to school with thousands and thousands of women, they all thought soccer was crap and had no interest in it."

....what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm not sure the thousands and thousands of women you went to school with would appreciate that sentiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

Cow towing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

They certainly weren't reading Roy of the Rovers either.

I am delighted that there is a minority of women in Ireland enjoying soccer.

I prefer mixed beach volleyball myself. It is a great sport to enjoy with other genders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The best most genuine, articulate, likeable and knowledgeable pundit on irish sports for me , male or female is Noelle Healy….as a player she’s won……..5 all Ireland’s, 4 all stars. All achieved while working as or studying to be a doctor…. Articulate, intelligent and interesting, super nice girl too… certainly a good addition to the ranks of pundits on RTE / irish sports…. And considering her aforementioned achievements, her contribution to the media as relates to the men’s game is absolutely ok with me…

Joanne Cantwell is absolute quality, nobody with a bad word to say about her, a former Dublin footballer and Leinster Championship winner. More presenter then pundit but the point still stands.

Cora Staunton, 4 all Irelands 11 all Stars with Mayo… a very savvy, enthusiastic, insightful and good pundit… and very respected individual.

Stephanie Roche, that’s a bit of a head scratcher… few times I’ve seen her, not the most natural communicator..speaking way too fast, breathlessly tripping over words to get to the end of the sentence … almost can’t wait for the anchor to ask one of her colleagues the next question..

Stephanie contributes from about 1:10 …..^^^ one might think that she is there to add more gender balance ? Possibly or probably but I’d like to think that if RTE are of that mindset that perhaps there might be more suitable alternatives for the job….

Ebony Rainford Brent and Isa Guha are brilliant on cricket…. Both ex internationals, excellent communicators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Na, pundits like Neville, Keane, Giles and Dumphy have made brilliant points over the years. I'll always wait to see who's on the panel and then decide if if think I want to hear that person's opinion or not. Some pundits are great and some are rubbish.

I thought about individual sports like tennis, athletics and golf etc but even there I'm not so sure. There's still a large gap between mens and womens tennis at grand slam level. Someone like Marion Bartoli is very competent and experienced at a high level in womens tennis but she has never had to take on the likes of Djokovich, Nadal or even any of the top 50 male players in the closing rounds of a grand slam. How can she comment knowledgeably without knowing that aggression, intensity and pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It does seem tokenistic as do some other things like "man of the match" becoming "player of the match" in games featuring only men.

The whole world is afraid of causing offence or falling foul of the ever moving goal posts of what's acceptable.

Female pundits aren't something that bother me but there are definite overtones of having to crowbar them in as a box ticking exercise.

It would seem that the fairest solution would be to have auld lads that would have traditionally been sports pundits turning up in traditionally female places in the media as a means of fully embracing equality.

The spring summer collection modelled by Eamon Dunphy while John Giles and Liam Brady dissect his catwalk form would be a good starting point.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Tennis is still played a high level by women in it's own right even if not comparable to the output of men, same with athletics and a few others I could think of field hockey for example .....they are all watchable from a tv spectator point

I've tried watching womens football but I just can't ....there's nothing there for me personally, would love to know the viewing figures it gets on tv and while it appears to be getting crowds in stadia it does appear to me to be a totally different diaspora to that of the mens game

It's all moot anyway, broadcasters all across the board have gone with female pundits from all walks being brought on ......something that is likely to increase more than anything so any amount of complaining won't change that

Re crowds a lot of them give a lot of tickets for free to boost the crowds. At least that was happening in the past.

It may have started out as a box ticking exercise but, pound for pound, I think the standard of women's punditry is better than the men's.

Perhaps it's because women offering insight is a relatively new phenomenon and they take more pride in their notes and due diligence, but whatever the reason, they're not just there to keep the WOKIES happy.

Yep absolutely - we can just disengage/ switch channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I watch a fair bit of soccer and, generally speaking, I have found that the closer an ex-pro was to playing at the highest level of the game then the worse they are at analysis. For example, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, and Johnny Giles played at the absolute pinnacle of the game and their analysis is dross. Similarly for the likes of Eamon Dunphy and Richie Sadlier played at a slighly lower level and their commentary, though still terrible, is slightly better.

The same goes for female ex pros. The likes of Stephanie Roche and Karen Carney may have been decent players in their day but when it comes to punditry they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I should add, as well, that it is a well-known phenomenon where the best managers tend to have been journeymen (or women) pros at best.

The issue isn't a male or female thing, it is an athlete thing. Professional athletes (and I include the "stars" of gaelic games in this) are people who were incredibly capable physically, at the expense of being absolutely stunted mentally. They may have been great players but that came at the expense of anything other than the most basic intellectual development, where they are now completely incapable of articulating their views. They are pure id. That also explains their lack of impulse control and the various sex scandals you hear over the years of professional athletes (particularly rugby "stars") committing sexual assaults, and so on.

To that end, I have learned not to take any ex-pro's analysis of the game seriously. I am capable of analysing the game perfectly well myself, and the ex-pros' attempts are a novelty similar to when a chimpanzee is dressed up in a beret and throws shíte at a canvas in an art studio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement