Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The Europa poll you are referring is from 2022 and it shows a majority of support

Here is the latest one at the one year point:

"EU citizens continue to show their unwavering solidarity with Ukraine. 91% of respondents agree with the provision of humanitarian support and 88% are in favour of welcoming into the EU people fleeing the war. Providing financial support to Ukraine is approved by 77%, while imposing economic sanctions on Russian government, companies and individuals gain the support of 74% of the interviewees. Europeans also continue to be largely in favour of banning Russian state-owned media from broadcasting (67%) and of the EU financing the purchase and supply of military equipment to Ukraine (65%). 

Overall, a majority of European citizens (56%) remain satisfied with the European Union’s response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. "

TLDR a majority of Europeans support sending aid, financial support and military equipment to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

If you said this one year ago, you would be right. Russians military power is in bits. If they are so big, why are they asking for ammo from Iran, NK and china?

Their people are running away from the country, what manpower are you talking about?

Resources? Check rouble rates.

Reality is sometimes hard to swallow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Military power is not just how many conscripts can you give a uniform to and send to the front lines. The moskovyte equipment losses in Ukraine are huge as you can see from the figures I posted above. I think with the influx of western equipment to Ukraine and the equipment they have captured and had themselves already from older soviet stock and new military technology they are importing and developing themselves like military drones the advantage in military power the moskovytes might have thought they had before invading is becoming less and less true.

I don't think you have a good grasp of the facts even just taking your population comparison numbers as an example so forgive me if I am a bit sceptical about you explaining things to me. I'd like to see Ukraine succeed in driving the moskovytes out of their country this year but I don't agree with you telling me this is their only chance. It makes no sense for the rest of the world to step away from the opportunity they now have to diminish moskovyte military power significantly while they are so clearly in breach of international law in trying to destroy their neighbour.

They are asking for ammo same way as Ukraine is,only specific types and drones to use to drain Ukraine for ground to air missiles.

New reports from leaked documents might suggest that Ukraine is running out of air defence missiles

I am well aware of the rouble,and i have mention it before as one of the reasons that could stop Russia,

I am talking about conscription that Russia have annually,and its now in April and ends in July,meaning more troops to the grinder

Also Russia have still alot of tanks in storage,and with the same rate of losses,they will last for another 2 1/2 years,depending on condition.

Thats the reality

It is in a war of attrition,that you have a hard time understanding how works,thats why Russia keeps sending untrained soldiers to the grinder.

And you are still whining about population with a small margin of error thats irrelevant

And still have tanks for atleast another 2 years in storage

Can Ukraine with western support go on for another 2 years you think,if Ukraines counter offensive fails or russia goes bankrupt or Putin dies,will it end up negotiating?

Thats the question i want you to answer

Obviously you cant see the bigger picture here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Drone situation for Ukr not looking good, apparently the Russians are having much more success in jamming the most used models, due to developing their jamming tech. With the recent leaks (fake, modified, intentional or real), plus the on-going logistics issues, could be hard for Ukr to make much progress this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Vietnam, Afghanistan, Afghanistan again, Iraq there's no good recent history for well resourced armies in occupying medium sized countries.

Putin's only wins were small scale in Georgia and Crimea, he had to obliterate Chechnya and install a rogue puppet to govern the ruins even. This war will be the end of the Russian Federation. China will carve off the Far East and leave an impotent rump as it's vassal.

You seem to have a hard time understanding that attrition is not just happening to the forces of Ukraine in this war. The moskovytes are taking huge losses to their newest equipment as well as soldiers they have sent to invade Ukraine and as the attacking force trying to advance on prepared positions I think it is very likely their looses are significantly greater than those lost on the Ukrainian side.

The tanks the moskovytes have in storage are likely to have serious weak points that can be targeted by more modern anti tank weapons so while the number on paper might be big I think the effect these outdated tanks can have on the battle field will be limited. Serious upgrades would be needed for these tanks to pose a threat similar to more modern tanks and even some of the Armed Personnel Carriers being sent ot Ukraine will be sufficiently well equipped to deal with these older main battle tanks. Do the moskovytes have the tecnological and manufacturing capacity to upgrade significant numbers of these moth balled old tanks?

I think with western support Ukraine can keep fighting for another two years or more and the simple fact is even if this support was reduced they would still keep fighting as they have no other option when faced by an expansionist leadership in moskovia. It is in all of the worlds interest that the moskovyte terrorist state is not allowed carry on as it has been doing so I would be shocked if there was any reduction in international support for Ukraine.

If the initial counteroffensive is not fully successful I would expect Ukraine to keep trying to remove the invaders from their country by any means.

Obviously you have a much better view of the bigger picture than I would but above is just my opinion of how things would work out if the preferred possability of a swift Ukrainian victory does not materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I read somewhere that Ukraine will eventually have a 2:1 advantage in shells as Russia can't keep up with western production.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

They'll probably be in better condition than the Spanish 2A4s when they went looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The lasting image of this war is going to be John Deere tractors towing T-72s. Cow towing? ..I get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look at the numbers they are blowing through at the moment,I remember correctly the Ukrainans are going through 210,000 shells per month,

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The leaks are probably nothing the Russians don't already know anyway. It's not a good look but I don't think the leaks are damaging to Ukraine really in any practical way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The US might get tired of sending money , but they won’t get tired of sending weapons.

the benefits of sending weapons over money is that Russia is losing its military and slowly dying, also sending weapons means that they need to be replaced, which in turn keeps all those massive Defence companies in the US ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Pity low IQ dimwits such as DeSantis, Greene etc. haven't realised this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some of it is junk, but the main issue is they can't access the stuff physically. The only sizable airport is in Moldova proper, not Transnistria, and They would never get permission to use it. Russian aircraft wouldn't be allowed to overfly any countries to get to it either. Road and rail likewise.

And if that weren't enough, Ukraine would likely intervene. That arms dump is in the village of Cobasna, which is on the border with Ukraine with an actual border crossing there.

And you keep foregtting that Russia have 5 times more as usual,and you also keep forgetting that US and many European countries have elections coming up this year and next year.

And Politics as you know doesnt always favor Ukraine unfortunately,it will most likely end up negotiating

Like i said before alot will be decided on Ukraines last counter offensive,if they succseed or not.

Ukraine will not give up regardless,thats for sure,but it remains to see if they will get the same support as they have gotten so far.

The good thing is that China atleast have stopped their support to Russia,,atleast thats what they say.

But ther could be some 3 world country that will sell ammo to Russia

Ukraine is regardless under alot of pressure to succseed in their last offensive,but as i heard,they have somehwere between 200-400k troops ready for the offensive,so they should have a great chance to break trough the russian defences and succseed.

Thats possible if Russia doesnt get ammunition from elsewhere,and i guess China is out of the picture now,but there could be other 3 world countries that have stocks to sell to Russia.

Russia still have huge ammo depots from the soviet era,but i dont know how much of it is depleted or gone out of date

Imagine Ukraine having the fighters the nordic countries have now after they joined together in a joint airforce

If Ukraine doesnt get NATO membership i am sure something similar would be made with their neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Obviously you cant see the bigger picture here

You seem to be in awe of the bigness of the picture you've painted for yourself. Remember that whenever you invoke the "Russia is so big" argument, you're talking about a country with a population that is only barely equivalent to the combined populations of France and Germany, and an economy that was middling at best - before it started falling over the cliff.

Regarding the infinitely inexhaustable stockpiles of everything, it looks like you're still basing your analysis on the same paper inventories that we now know were largely works of fiction. More to the point, though, is the fact that the Russians have demonstrated that they cannot reliably and repeatedly get men, weapons and ammunition to work together in the same place and at the same time.

As Darth Putin puts it: "Russia is now the second strongest army in Ukraine ..."

You have provided zero evidence that russia has 5 times more of anything and from what I have seen the most important thing they do not have an advantage in with regard to the war in Ukraine is the will to fight there. They are the invaders in a free country so I would think the will to fight is at least 5 times more on the Ukrainian side as opposed to the conscripts and prisoners on fight for release schemes that russia is relying on.

You have provided zero evidence for your assertion that elections in countries that support Ukraine are a bad thing for Ukraine. I provided figures already in a previous post in reply to you that show the percentage of USA GDP that is being used to support the war in Ukraine is a fraction of 1%. It is costing the USA very little to see putin's forces seriously depleted in Ukraine and it is only a handful of very unlikely to be elected to power politicians that are complaining about this investment in dealing with a terrorist state. An investment which is likely to pay much more back to the world economy when putin has less power to destabilise and attack other countries.

I don't see how you can expect Ukraine to negotiate with terrorists when they still occupy territory in their country with the only exception in my opinion being if they cut off a significant number of russian troops and offer a withdraw or face attack ultimatum. I would hope the upcoming offensive from Ukraine is the last one they need to drive putin's forces from their country but I can't see how you are so confident to label it as their last offensive or where you get the idea that Ukraine's current supporters are going to abandon them so quickly and some third world countries are going to suddenly emerge as the supporters for russia with ammo to swing the conflict in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unfortunately, the Orcs have a 5-6 times advantage in airpower, and that's Ukraines assessment.

The Pentagon leaks suggest that Ukraine will be out of BUK missiles in mid-April and S-300 missiles in early May. These form the backbone of Ukraine's air defense.

The Western Patriots they are getting won't help much, they're not getting enough systems. So Ukraine will be very vulnerable soon (if they leaks are accurate). The number of unprotected critical sites will go from 6 to 40+ once the missiles run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Kind of poignant considering the news over weekend that we can't use our missile defense system because we don't have the radar to make it work.

So we'll just let it gather dust instead of doing the honourable thing and giving it to Ukraine.

• Advertisement

You still dont get it,you will know for sure if the war is still raging same time next year

And according to intelligence Russia have enough ammunition to fight for another 2 years

Only thing thats going to change that is Ukraines counteroffensive,if they succsseed or not.

Worst case scenario

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement