Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering renting for 6-8 months while working abroad, Ukrainian refugees easiest option?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not sure the Gov.ie site could be any clearer in respect of tenancies and rent relating to the temporary housing of Ukrainians, so nothing I am going to post is going to help you. Just read the links above.

In relation to recovering your house, you act within the law, which is you give a licensee reasonable notice, and if they refuse to leave, you do what you would do if any other unwelcome guest enters your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

And right there is the problem. "You act within the law". Now let that just sink in there for a while. It will come to you if you think about it from a property owners point of view :)

Yes, you act within the law. The Gov.ie site is clear that a tenancy does not exist, therefore if someone is in your house without your permission nor has a legal right to be there, you can remove them.

Im not sure if you are insinuating that Ukrainians are in some way dangerous, or to be feared. Owners would possibly have an equal amount of trepidation associated with getting an Irish licensee to leave, and yet it happens. So if you have something to say, say it.

This is hard work Dav :)

And dont start with accusations of racism here. You are the one who seems to want to limit this conversation to Ukrainian refugees, you (post #59)).

So how long will it take the OP to get their property back if the person (anyone, of any nationality, to be clear) living there decides they want to try their luck with the RTB? How long, when they act within the law?

Come on, just answer the question? What is the worst case scenario for the OP for how long it takes them to move into their property, acting within the law of course?

Read the gov.ie links I posted, if you can’t understand them, I can’t help you.

As no tenancy exists, the RTB has no jurisdiction, as a licensee has no tenancy rights beyond reasonable notice, if the op wants to change the locks the day after the reasonable notice period elapses, then one day. And it would be within the law.

By the way, check the title of the thread, the op is asking about renting to Ukrainian refugees.

I really don’t think I can contribute anymore to this other than to say that the Government has clearly outlined the terms under which Ukrainian refugees are housed. I suspect that you are saying that ending the agreement is either more difficult or more dangerous than ending a license with an Irish person, why that is, is difficult to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

... and do what with the money?

This is a massive problem in Ireland. The government has made it (deliberately) so unattractive to invest money in anything other than Irish property.

Coupled with 20+ years of anti-landlord legislation equals housing crisis.

There are many empty houses in this country that people don't want to rent out, for obvious reasons, but won't sell because there is no better investment for them. The government wants to keep it that way.

No Dav I dont think you can contribute anymore either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Hi OP, lock up the house until your return, safeguard your home otherwise you may lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Talked to my local authority about this recently.

They said that there is a relaxed form of "Min standards in Rental Accommodation 2019" needed for letting to Ukrainians. However they were unable to furnish me a copy.

Might be worth perusing the 2019 Guidelines. https://assets.gov.ie/201342/fdc24a91-7cb1-4e33-9b1e-55baa88a9aee.pdf

The 100 odd pages may sway your decision. Particularly the window locks and ventilation and fire precautions etc

• Advertisement

Nothing is certain in the world of being a landlord. They will probably just bring in new legislation in a few months to fcuk you over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The other aspect you must consider is how long is the government going to keep paying 800 eur for each Ukrainian? It could be overnight announced that the payment will be cut and you will be left house them.

I know for fact other countries have start cutting back that accommodation payment.

Living the life

As they are not tenants, the Government knows that home owners can remove them very quickly.

Give it up, the Gov.ie and LAs are clear, no tenancy exists. If they are going to change renting under license rules, they will prevent B&Bs and hotels from putting guests out when their stay is over.

Ive already linked the government information about this, a tenancy cannot be created where one clearly does not exist.

oh yes, as we all know, the legislation never changes. And there was me wondering why landlords are all saying. It must be because the government dont change the rules every 5 minutes. You can link what you like. Changes are it will have changed in 6 months. OR do you have some sort of proof that legislation hasnt been changing every few months and its just our imagination.

You probably had link a few years ago that stated that a tenancy could be terminated after 4 years. Or another link the year before that for less time for termination. Or anoher link where rent could be increased 4%, but another link a few months later that said it couldnt, it could only be increased by inflation. Ot another link a few month after that that said it was now 2%.

Yep. Legislation never changes. Keep clicking your heels and telling yourself that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

The company I work for has terrible trouble in housing people who come over for 2-3 months for training, and I believe many other companies are the same.

You'd be best off talking to a local letting agency, or calling up local multinationals and see which agencies they use.

What are you on about?

They previously changed tenancy law, as it relates to tenancies. A license is not a tenancy, they could not be more clear about it, no rent is being paid, no tenancy exists.

You are just engaging in whataboutery, as I pointed out to you many times at this stage, the conditions under which the Government requested offers of accommodation are unambiguous, and easy for almost everyone to understand.

I really dont know how you cant understand that the conditions change. And often. You seem to be under the illusion that legislation doesnt change with regard to property. I can assure it does. Its probably the biggest issue with it.

You are just going to continue making stupid arguments aren’t you?

There is no tenancy, how can that not be clear to you are this stage? To change legislation to make what isn’t a tenancy, a tenancy would first of all require the legislation be discussed, then enacted, during which time every owner would boot their licensees out. Hotels and B&B owners housing refugees would become landlords and guests/licensees tenants, not to mention the legal challenges which would arise given the conditions that were stated when requesting offers of accommodation from the public and the statements made on the gov.ie site.

You are just getting stuck into this because you want to be the “what if” guy who thinks he will be proved right. Is is possible Joe Biden will pull down his pants and take a dump in front of TDs in the Dail? Yes. Will it happen? Of course not.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

This is what the apartment block near me do: let to multinationals only.

I read up about it and I think the entry requirements are huge though, as in you need to have your place maintained like a top-end hotel.

Maybe the letting agency do this though.

There is only one person being stupid here. Its not your first time either. Look, lets agree to disagree, because everyone else can draw their own conclusions based on the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you're near a college I suggest rent to students, guaranteed income and guaranteed that they will leave at the end of the term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Technically you are correct as in Ukrainians are not legally renters.

But what Down by Garden is trying to say is many items have been wishy washy in the last year so out of blue if you house Ukrainians and their term is over and they don't find accommodation, you can't tell if they will bring last minute rule where they can stay put.... Rather than violin coming out and having bad press because refugees are left homeless.

See for example the ban has expired and government have more or less told tenants they can overhold... Not legal but seems possible lately in Ireland.

Not looking for an argument but pointing out rules haven't been exactly fair lately and anything can happen.

Living the life

Can they though? Has there been any documented cases where a refugee has been asked to leave, refused to leave & was made leave in a timely manner?

edit; for clarity, a timely manner in this case is immediately but to put a fair deadline let’s say within a week of being asked. I think if someone was occupying my house I’d give them at least that long to pack up and ship out.

so, unless you have documented cases that this has happened I’d prefer you stop saying things like “they’re not tenants just ask them to leave” because when a tenant is legally evicted and refuses to leave LL’s are still stuck dealing with them for months (or years) until they eventually decide to go away themselves.

Are you asking me if there are documented cases of licensees refusing to leave? Documented where? It can’t be documented in the RTB because the RTB has no jurisdiction over licensees, it can’t be documented in the SCC as this rules only on deposit disputes. So where would you think something like that would be documented?

I have no documented evidence that aliens haven’t landed on earth either, just in case you ever wonder.

I very much doubt that the refugees are happy to leave hotels and possibly become homeless.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/03/04/refugees-told-they-are-to-be-moved-as-hotels-prepare-for-holiday-season/

Try reading what he asked you.

You know you are allowed to be wrong you know. Its not life or death that you must prove everybody is wrong and you are right even when you arent.

You dont have to resort to posting links for totally different things than the point being made to you. You dont have to resorst to being abusive and calling people names.

Take a chill pill and forget about it. nobody cares that you are wrong apart from you. We are not going to hold it against you.

You need a day off to relax and unwind. Everybody here is trying to be nice to you.

I’m not wrong, you just don’t seem to be able to understand the gov.ie links I provided to support my viewpoint.

Here is another one:

Will there be any form of formal agreement?

There is no requirement to enter a formal arrangement. However, it is recommended that property owners and beneficiaries sign a temporary accommodation licence agreement to protect the rights of the property owner and the beneficiary, and to protect the property itself.

The local authority can provide a template agreement, which can be used or adapted as required. Ukrainian and Russian language versions of the templates are available.

The ‘licence period’ should be stated on the licence agreement. At the end of the period, the licence period can be extended with the agreement of all parties.

Oh my God.

Look I will just refer you to my last post and leave it at that. You will give yourself a stroke i you dont calm down.

• Advertisement

Its not like there isn’t a whole lot of information provided by the Government, Local Authorities, and DCEDIY about this, you are just ignoring it and saying “it might change, granting the licensees a right to stay there against the wishes of the owner”.

You are just posting whataboutery BS, the Government has clearly stated in all communications about this:

”Rent is not payable as you are offering the property”.

They are not tenants, they are licensees/guests, and are only there as long as the owner agrees to it, for the duration they agreed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement