Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few days in Dublin this week, what to take kids to.

• 09-04-2023 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭

Spending 2 nights, 3 days in Dublin this week.

Kids 9 to 13.

Have the Vintage Tea Tour and Viking Tour on the list of things to do.

Oldest loves history, so thinking of Kilmainham Gaol.

2 are sporty, so perhaps Croker?

Wax museum?

Any other suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Enjoy the trip... some general info you may already have considered:

Not looking great for outdoor events for tuesday afternoon and wednesday ... if current weather forecast pans out.

There may be disruption Thursday morning in city centre due to Biden visit to the Dail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah seen the forecast!

But forgot about Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Phoenix Park is closed from Wednesday evening to Thursday evening, this also means the zoo is closed until Friday morning. Just in case you were thinking of going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Dead Zoo and the Archaeology Museum. Both free entry, both around the corner from each other and a great way to spend an afternoon.

Went there with my 5-year-old last week and he really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Agree with these 2.

They will love the Viking Splash. Try and get Kenny to do your tour. He is brilliant.

The Wax Museum is good too. Ghost Bus tour is supposed to be good and the Hop

on Hop off bus. Guinness Store is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

Glasnevin tour since one of them loves history.

It is good but not too in depth of all the history and famous people buried there.

The O Connell Tower is open to the public now too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, another vote for the Glasnevin, definitely worth doing, and also the skyline tour in Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

Take them on the DART to Greystones and get an ice cream when you get there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, it's a lovely rail journey with great views of the coast. And rail is cheap at the moment. Probably cheaper to get some family rail/bus ticket if one is available, rather than individual tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

Awh yeah, don't want to over do it with the chislers anyway.

Aye, it's not for kids really. I always thought a good tour idea was to do a walking tour of the graveyard

to all the famous people that are buried there. The documentary 1 million Dubliners is really good.

Thanks for all tips folk, was busy there for a few days and wasn't online much, other than to thank a few posts.

Had a great trip, we all enjoyed it. Weather was ropey at times, but didn't dampen the spirits much.

We did the Dead Zoo, the Viking Tour and got Ken (excellent), the Vintage Tea bus trip, the Wax Museum, the National Museum of Archaeology, Kilmainham Gaol tour, amongst other things. Could easily have spent a few more days. Perhaps will return someday soon and do some more that we didn't get to this time.

Good to hear. Dublin really is a great city with lots to do. Shame it is so expensive to

stay in.

All these things are on my doorstep really and as usual, we never did/seen them until

Covid came.

Kilmainham Gaol is about 25 mins from me and I've never been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Here's a copy and paste from a similar post on Dublin City I posted on.

Kylemore go-kart track is epic for teenagers. Expensive but very memorable, unfortunately it's in an industrial estate in West Dublin but you can hit Blanch or Liffey Valley shopping centre (forget which one is close) afterwards for some shite food that they'd probably like. 

City Centre Restaurants - Bunsen Burger (big hit with teens, very cool and instagramable), Milanos, Ill Capo pizza & pasta or if you feel like taking them out of their comfort zone one of the many Asian eateries on the now pedestrianised Capel st. Wings on Wolfetone st. is all you can eat and it's not great, but there's bottomless fizzy drinks and it's a bit of fun for teens, they will 100% find food they like there. 

There are some virtual gaming centres around the city. My son went to one (he's 12) and loved it, I don't know the name of it, but I'll try and find out tomorrow. Again.. more money. 

Dublin Sea safari? Anything on in Mondello not far from Dublin if you drive (it's cheap for kids under 16) check the website for dates. 

Loads of doughnut places in the city, don't see the attraction, but the teens go nuts for them. 

E-bike tours maybe, teens will love self powered bikes. There's a few kayak & paddle board outfits on the coast, you'd have to google then for prices, but it would be memorable and fun. 

Skate parks if they skate (Clongriffin and fairview), Croke park tour if they like GAA (it's not all Dublin-centric) 

Wakedock. Check it out, very cool. Epic museum is all interactive and immersive. National Museums of Ireland is free and has workshops for teens, but check it out before you go, could be for younger kids on the dates your kids visit. Awesome walls is good too, they'll pretend they don't like it, but after they'll be legends. 

I must say, Kilmainhan Gaol really was the highlight for me.

Amazing place, which we have all seen in various films and photos, but to get the guided tour really brings the history to life. Guide was top class. It really is a magical, and sad, place.

Advertisement