Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure there is probably an algorithm telling them what to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Enjoying the top 500, especially the lack of repetition.

I don't think they would've gotten enough votes to properly rank all 500 so I'm sure there's a producer bias in there in some form, and some questionable decisions!

Flogging the lanzarote trip to death this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They tried that with Fergal D'Arcy and Jessica Maciel. Didn't work.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I wonder how much discussion was involved in compiling and ordering this list within the station. If they dedicated one minute to deciding the order of each song, that’s over eight hours of discussion. Just composing a list of 500 songs would take some amount of time without imagining ordering it.

I didn’t see how they got people to vote on the list. Was it a list of 500 songs and you picked your favourites or could you input your own suggestions?

Who would you replace them with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

99.9% sure Jessica Maciel wasn't fired, she decided to quit/retire from full time radio to focus on her own tattoo businesses instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Definitely - I really very much doubt there is a genuine full list of 500 songs as voted by listeners. The whole thing got very little promotion in advance - I listen to a lot of radio, and only heard it advertised a handful of times - so I'd bet there are dozens of songs in there that all have exactly the same number of votes (or just 1 vote!), and the list was then added to by looking at other such lists, and then letting the presenters loose on it.

I’d be surprised if the presenters had any involvement as they would need to avoid repetition. I’ve enjoyed listening over the past few days though

Yup! Knowing I'm unlikely to hear that Megan Traynor song at all, or Antihero more than once a day is a great incentive to keep listening! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

Wholeheartedly agree. We were saying earlier that the song at 200 probably got 10 votes and the one at 100 probably got 11, and then they just decided themselves what went where for the songs in between.

If they had somehow set it out as the top 500 pop songs of all time, or the top 500 songs that might be played by them (how they'd have advertised it as that is another thing), it would be more believable. Shake it off by Taylor Swift is at 5, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol is at 4.

3. Beyoncé - Crazy In Love

2. U2 - With Or Without You

1. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Some credibility in the top 2. It's over now, thank God.

I wondered if they had a list up (ok, I was curious where Stairway to Heaven featured, if at all, and how many Beatles and Stones made it, and where!) so had a look at the website... https://www.todayfm.com/all_music (right now, it's a 404-page not found error message...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anytime I had it on over the weekend it was all shite pop songs like Westlife, One Direction and Niall Horan. I'm guessing it was a fairly narrow list of songs people could pick

Post edited by siblers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I had it on earlier and there was one of Niall Horan's terrible middle of the road songs in the top 30. As has been said, people at the station undoubtedly played around with that list. Their weird obsession with blowing smoke up the holes of people with large social media followings abides.

The website https://irishradiolive.com/today-fm/playlist has the last 30 days of music there. You can kinda construct the Top 500 from that. There must be something constantly Shazamming the station, although it even picks up music in ads! So it'll make some Green Day song, American Idiot I think, appear often cos there's advertisements for some upcoming gig of theirs. You can usually recognise the false positives by the fact another song starts about a minute later. Anyway, the hours were midnight to 7 pm on Good Friday, 11 am to 6 pm on Saturday, 12 pm to 7 pm yesterday and 9 am to 7 pm today. That's according to their app. Annoyingly though, you can't play back any of the Top 500 programmes, either on the app or on the Today FM website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Stairway to Heaven was at number 55.

Hey Jude was in there somewhere yesterday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭its_steve116

STH is a great song.

Post edited by its_steve116 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard bits of it on Sunday and yesterday. Is there a link to all the Top 500 "Egg-cellent Easter Countdown" songs anywhere? I could not find any that showed all the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭its_steve116

How come their website is .com and not .ie? Just curious as they're not an American station.

Probably because when they started, it was really, really hard to get a .ie, and so loads of companies and other businesses just didn't bother (now, it's gone the opposite way, and it's way too easy to get a .ie - there are dozens of 'shopify' front-end websites based in China and elsewhere and nothing whatsoever to do with Ireland, but they have their .ie domain - but that's a separate issue).

Yeah I remember back in the late 90s /early 00s, getting a dot ie domain was as much red tape as making a social welfare claim, having to submit photo Id, bank statements, utility bills etc

I know they were likely limited in what they could include but there are six Niall Horan songs and four One Direction songs on that list. That means Niall Horan is involved with at least 2% of the top 500 songs in the world?

There's not a single Elvis song on there, or Franz Ferdinand or Blink 182 either. I could name a few songs by those alone that deserve a spot above Niall Horan's 'This Town'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I agree with you on that. On the other hand, it is actually a pretty eclectic list. There is significant representation from the 21st century as you would expect, but it does have songs as well from the 1970s (including the Number 1 Bohemian Rhapsody), the 1980s, the 1990s and, indeed, the 1960s. There are a number of songs by U2 in the countdown - both 20th and 21st century. Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Queen and Abba have four songs each in the countdown, although strictly speaking Under Pressure is credited to Queen and David Bowie rather than just Queen. Pink Floyd managed two songs: both from The Wall. Bruce Springsteen has a respectable five entries. Elton John came out well out of this with 6 entries (including one with Dua Lipa), but he is everywhere these days. The Beatles managed just two, with one of them being a bit of a surprise (While My Guitar Gently Weeps). A couple of other surprising entries are Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, The Chain by Fleetwood Mac and Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

@Declan A Walsh you're right that it's an eclectic mix but as you said, most bands or artists on the list don't have just one song on it.

Looking at the top five songs, each of those artists have multiple songs on the list. Queen have four songs, U2 have 11, Beyonce has four, Snow Patrol has four and Taylor Swift has five. That's 28 songs out of 500 that are made up by the same five bands/artists.

Going down to the next five, The Killers have four, Adele has four, Ed Sheeran has nine, Oasis have six and Madonna has five. That's 28 more songs by the people at 6-10 on the list.

If 56 songs on the list are made up by those in the top 10 of the list, that means you had a one in ten chance of hearing another song by the people in the top ten at any point across the weekend.

It seems more likely that they made a list of roughly 100 artists and decided to pick four to six songs from most of them to scatter across the few days, rather than they actually made a list of the top 500 songs.

Well, surprising, yes and no... Stairway to Heaven consistently wins "Greatest Ever" awards and I'm amazed it only ranked at #55. You're always going to suffer from "recentism" in lists like this, but some of them will stand the test of time, too. But the omissions are many and glaring.

No Elvis, and seriously, only two Beatles songs, is the most obvious. Leaving placings out of it (because I really think there's only a handful of votes between number 150 and 450, leaving out producers juggling stuff for variety and such), let's look at the other obvious ommissions:

• No Johnny Cash (his cover of "Hurt" was always the last song Ed played on a Songs of Praise cover special!)
    • No Aretha Franklin
    • No Simon & Garfunkel (Paul Simon gets one solo entry)
    • No Rolling Stones! At all?!

Ok, the last three are all 60s (mostly), but still! More modern ones:

• No Radiohead
    • No Smiths, or Morrissey
    • No Cure
    • No Bjork/Sugarcubes, Blondie, Madness, Faithless, Iggy Pop, Tiesto
    • Only one Kate Bush
    • Only one Sinéad O'Connor
    • Only one R.E.M.
    • Only two Pink Floyd. But seven Pink.
    • Three **** Nickleback, ffs!

And can someone tell me - where is Outkast?! Surely "Hey ya!" should have been in their Top 10! 🤣🤣

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

• Advertisement

Did anyone actually vote in the thing? I remember hearing just a couple of ads for it, wasn't paying too much attention, and didn't go to the website. Was it a form you picked songs from, or could you submit your own entries?

Advertisement