Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Very disappointing weekend. Kilkenny outclassed at all levels in the 3 grades. Minors were truly outclassed. U20 were poor, why are Kilkenny teams lacking pace at all levels. Few of the u20s look very slow, particularly the half back line.

Hard to know how to judge the senior, this could have easily been a 20+ point defeat. This Limerick team is the best team of all time. Hopefully it doesn't derail our lads for championship. I know we have TJ to come back soon but he is 36 soon and cant rely on him to get us over the line, he has a problem shaking off a knock and keeps resurfacing. We have to stick by lads like Billy Drennan, tough day Sunday but great experience for him, he has the class just needs some of the older lads to step up around him. Eoin Cody has been very poor for Kilkenny in big matches since we played Galway in Pease stadium last year.

Keoghan, Deegan, Donnelly, Billy Ryan Fogarty, Riche Reid, Alan Murphy all struggle in these big games. These lads are at an age where they need to be leaders. With exception of Donnelly at times they are not delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads. There are a number of things as a county we must accept.

1) Limericks strength and conditioning is miles ahead of any other county. The majority of their panel are built like machines and they have created an extremely effective balance between bulk and mobility. Several counties have tried to mirror and haven't been nearly as effective. Remember Waterford 5 years ago? I remember being in Walsh park and looking at Waterford running out on the field and they looked like a rugby team.

2) The reason they are so effective is that when you have that level of conditioning good hurlers excel. They dont fade when the pressure comes on and can take harder hits and drive on. When you're at that level physically then hurling becomes easier. Yes, you can give 110 % against them, which we did last year, and push them to the pin of their collars, but they have an advantage before they even take to the field and it really is semi-professional the way they work this and coaching thereafter.

Thats what i see anyway and im looking at inter county teams since the early 80s.

If im not right here i stand to be corrected but this is my absolute view.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I think we pushed up on their puckouts in last years all ieland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm glad to see the discussion here has focused on what we need to do as a county to get to the level limerick are at, instead of (like several other counties) just craunchauling about refs and rules.

I also think that, aside from the longer term changes to our sponsorship, underage structure etc, we also need to think in the medium term about the senior team: you don't just turn the team into an effective short passing operation in one winter, so we may have to be patient while lyng develops the teams identity on the field. Off it we are also behind in strength and conditioning.

That being said our touch was poor Sunday, which is not good enough and there's no excuse for it. And tactically it was crazy stuff. Leaving Aaron gillane in space all day, letting them take uncontested puck outs to their corner backs, which is the launch pad for their best attacks, these are crazy things to be doing. I liked the team selection but the substitutions were head scratchers.

We will, however, learn a lot from that match. It hit very hard to lose like that, and I expect a big reaction in the championship. We will surprise some teams yet. But probably not limerick...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Just one point. Yes our touch was poor Sunday and it shouldn't be that bad but when you're under pressure with someone on your toes it becomes more difficult. There were at least 15 instances in the match where we were coming to a ball and the touch was not clinical. Needs to be worked on but my overall point was that if you're conditioning, fitness and reaction is like Limericks then you can sustain that pressure and more easily concentrate on you're first touch. It galls me to say it but the game of hurling is akin to football now. The skill element of course is still there but movement/passing/scoring from distance is the goal and will continue to be. We either push the boat out with our S&C or we will struggle.

In my mind the bulk of our players are no less skillful than Limericks but they bring it to a level above with their physical state.

Thats not saying that we cannot beat Limerick but we would need an absolutely savage effort to do so and way more than we gave sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I would say that Limericks skill level is a long way above ours. Hegarty and Lynch in particular are levels above everyone we have except peak TJ and Richie.

Adrian and Cody are probably our next best "hurlers" but after that there's a fairly significant drop off in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I know it's easy be wise after the event but

If anyone has learned anything about competing with this limerick team you must go toe to toe with them and push up on them. That's the way clare done it last year and we done the same in the final. It was absolutely madness giving them first ball everytime. We have a new half back line who all are better than last year in the air so make them go longer at least. I'd say Nash and Casey couldn't belive their luck. That was the first big negative from the management. This will never work and it wasn't rocket science look back over when limerick were pushed the hardest was when teams push up and work like dogs.

I couldn't believe they left padraig on gillane or who's idea that was but again this was madness. Padriag never was a man marker he was intelligent and good on the ball. They put him on gillane because he's good In air but they must of forgot that his legs aren't what they were.

Butler should of picked up gillane. Tommy on Flanagan and padriag on Casey because Casey spends alot of time out the field so this would of suited Padriag. I know casey is fast but alot of the limerick lads are fast and it mightnt lool like it on tv but they ran rings around us.I think they may just revert now to Padriag at 6 Lawlor at 3 with Tommy and butler in the corners and Richie Reid and blanchfield on the wings.

The only small positive lyng can take from this is blanchfield,Lawlor and butler kept their men scoreless from play. Clutching at straws I know. It's midfield up where we will desperately struggle when tj retires. He is unbelievable in the air and gives us that great option. I know you can't judge anyone on one game but lads like Alan Murphy,Billy Ryan,Conor Delaney should be stepping up by now. I don't mean to single out any players but really they should be nailing down a place and performing.

As someone else said lyng and Co deserve time and they'll get it to be fair. He's not going to be too bothered about what us hurler on the ditch are posting here.Our puckouts are diabolical and have being for years. Even before all this movement scruff used to put snow on them and only for tj was so good In the air he covered over a few cracks. Murphy should be able ping them puckouts but I sat in the middle of the stand last sunday and our movement cat molugin. Maybe its because limerick were so good but ours is very easy defend against and 5 points in the 2nd half is junior b stuff. I don't mind getting bet but the players looked like they hadn't the belly for the fight. I dunno if it's the limerick hits slow you down or what but the huge workrate we associate with kk teams definitely wasn't on show Sunday that's for sure.This is what will dissapoint lyng.Not fair singling out a chap but drennan will know for Nash goal it was shocking how he waltzed up the field. Lawlor was also guilty he shouldn't of let him in and scruff to be beaten at his near post is very poor.Again they even broadcasted it on the sunday game last week that their corner backs get up the field and are scoring in every match. This isn't a secret so very poor on kk behalf.

The league has being a worthwhile exercise but I think we'll see in a few weeks time teams weren't really bothered. Who have we found during the league?drennan I suppose but I think he and the other lads should be left with the 20s. We all agree he'll be a very good player and take over the frees from tj but for the moment they should be left with their own age group. Hopefully they go well in that competition and a few of them could be an option off the bench later in the summer.Derek will do a bit of headscratching and will know he hasn't many replacements for Billy Ryan,and cody etc who haven't being in good form or consistent enough.i just hope nothing happens tj this year because he does most of the heavy lifting and brings others into the game cause all eyes are on him. It's back to the drawing board players and management will know this was truly awful and as others have said if their isn't a spark against galway In the park in a few weeks time then it's time to really get worried

Rest in peace to Joe Dunphy I didn't know him but heard great reports of him helping alot of famous hurlers down through the years. He was very influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't think there are any easy fixes. It is not that there are any outstanding players out there who are not on the panel. We need to prioritize a goalkeeper who has good distribution skills, Eoin Murphy had around 45 possessions during the match, more than any other KK player. We need better movement from our players. We need passes going to hand, rather than a bouncing ball. We need to work on ball control. I would stick with Billy Drennan but needs better service. We need a miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Did Kiely get worried after Limericks slow start to the season last year having being nearly taken last year by both Kilkenny and Galway. And has he got them prepared quicker this year,and could this lead to them peeking too early.this is just a thought. I also think Derek should be having a sit down with the players on a one to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

They had about 20 wides last Sunday. I doubt they have peak yet. Just playing better with a full panel to pick from. Having Lynch back I say is a massive bonus too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know Limerick are playing at a super level at present but,as a Tipp man, I can guarantee they will have it shoved up to them before year end. Proud hurling counties Tipperary, cork Kilkenny etc will give them lots of it mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I have no doubt in my mind that someone will step up, to at least challenge them, in the later stages this year. Don't want to read much into the league but on that form tipp look best positioned to do it, they looked very good blooding in some new players, which is a great sign for ye.

• Good lad. Did you not get enough of it in the 2nd half of the league semi final 🤔

I see you have the towel thrown in anyway but I don't think your team will throw it in that easily.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Ffs! Should have known. After 140 + years of hurling they now have as many all Ireland medals as Henry Sheflin and you'd think listening to them that they weren't 4th,4th ffs, in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

We did and need to fo it if we meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

actually Limerick would have seven tough games to win an all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Well in all fairness Limerick diy not abandon Gaelic Football completely as far back l1930, have our lsst Rugby International forty years ago and are not the only city in Ireland without a premier Division Soccer Team

Now don't get me wrong I hugely admire Kilkenny's achievements but considering we have one fifth Corks Hurling Population and about half that of Galway, as a small hurling county, that has won All Irelands in three different Centuries we are quite happy in our Hurling Skin. Finally, I see no Limerick person claiming we are a better Hurling county than KK, and I am certainly not claiming it, and I do acknowledge that most KK People are not making comments like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

So many mistakes for the second goal

Why is Huw Lawlor on the Limerick 65 yard line marking Tom Morrissey and not passing him off to one of our half forwards.

Why in the name of God is Cian Kenny marking Cian Lynch at centre back???!!!!

As soon as Lynch wins the ball why isn't Richie Reid hitting reverse to get back in front of our full back line who have acres of empty grass in front of them

As soon as Lynch turns and faces the goal why isn't Blanchfield sprinting back rather than waiting until Lynch hits it before moving

I think our midfield at this stage is Kenny and Deegan but the latter is positioned as if he's playing at 12. Why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Hi, there are many very good hurlers in kilkenny, however they are from the wrong clubs and have the wrong surname. Long standing members of development squads dropped for new panel members who have never been in development quads, they new boys have the correct surname and come from manager and selector clubs. Shame!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny underage is rotten to the core, most managers/selectors get 2/3 of there own lads in at any cost.

U20 this year is a good example. A topic on this forum came up about players being dropped etc. The very next match challenge match i think it was 8 players out of the 24 were from management clubs.

Hi, there are many very good hurlers in kilkenny, however they are from the wrong clubs and have the wrong surname. Long standing members of development squads dropped for new panel members who have never been in development quads, they new boys have the correct surname and come from manager and selector clubs. Shame!!

Totally agree

Listen to TC Tyres World Of Gaelic Games 10.04.2023 by Community Radio Kilkenny City on #SoundCloud

Hard to disagree with this. 42 minutes in Kieran muldowney gives a little insight into the underage set up. As we all know he was involved recently and always comes across as a sound fella and had good ideas but this was met with resistance.

So many mistakes all through the match but pressure forces you to make the wrong decisions. The first goal was scandalous. Nash let run up from corner back and no one track him.Drennan only half hearted and then Lawlor ignores him and scruff shouldn't be bet on his near post.

Hopefully they're will be huge learning in this beating. We lacked the workrate usually associated with kk. Most people seem to think we hadn't the belly for the fight which would be worrying. Players need to have a look in the mirror but management got it terribly wrong also by not pushing up on puckouts and leaving padriag on gillane. I know management aren't long in the job but movement and puckouts has to be priority.Galway coming to town in a few weeks. We will need a huge improvement. The players and management will know this was a desperate performance so hopefully we get a reaction.

• Ah Dan lighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Not too familiar with the problems in the underage set ups but I'd love to sit down and have a chat with him. Seems a really decent fella who has KKs best interests at heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

"what has happened with the underage system in KK.. it used to be the envy of the other hurling counties... whoever is over the development squads etc. seems to have fell asleep at the wheel about 10 years ago... the KK players that played today i would be slow to criticise them as they are the product of what is obviously a failing underage structure"

Never a truer word said

Advertisement