Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hoping that we hear more about new contract extensions in the coming weeks. Not a fan of how Leinster release info in drips and drabs.

The one player I hope we nail down is Dan Sheehan. Signed a new contract last year, but the duration wasn't divulged. No doubt the IRFU would love one of he or Kelleher to to south.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Can't see either of them agreeing to go south (or anywhere for that matter) as both are in contention for the starting jersey. There's also a significant gulf below them so its not as if Leinster are loaded in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Is the semi likely to be a quick sell out? Or will there be plenty of tickets still available on the general release?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I looked at this a few years ago and pretty much convinced myself that even if Leinster were in the Premiership, they probably wouldn't have to struggle all that much to conform to cap rules.

At the time, it was something like a basic cap of 6.5m, with allowances for homegrown (~500k total) and international players (unlimited).

Taking these allowances into consideration, Leinster would have ended up with a permissible wage-bill of around £8m (€9.1m), with two marquee players not contributing to cap space.

So for a squad of, say, 50 players, take out your two highest-earning marquee players, and that leaves an AVERAGE salary of ~£170k (~€190k) a player.

Or using a more likely distribution, you could have 24 of the younger lads on an average of €100k, and 24 of the older lads on an average of €275k.

So for me, the real advantage Leinster have, is that glut of younger players who could all walk into most Premiership teams, but are happy to stay in Dublin, playing when they can, and earning less money. That's got nothing to do with league rules.

Or to put it another way, Leinster had three players in their squad last Friday who can play 10 to Heineken Cup level: Frawley and the two Byrnes.

I'd say, combined, their salaries are what... 75% of Pollard's? Maybe even closer to 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There will be plenty of tickets on general sale. This is a replica of last season's SF and that didn't sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Cian Tracy reporting that all 3 of Baird, Lowe and VDF are likely to and expected to be fit for Toulouse. For those worried about L.R. in the final, remember it took them 85 minutes to score against Ulster at home. Leinster will win the final with room to spare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm far more worried about the semi-final personally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I wonder are we better off waiting for general sale rather than the season ticket holders link. I suspect TM have given us the shite seats in the corners again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Advertisement

Great news on Baird. Hopefully VDF and Lowe pull through as well.

That Indo article also states that Sean O'Brien looks likely to have an expanded coaching role from next season. He'll take over the defensive side of the game. Leinster still looking to appoint a coach from elsewhere.

The squad travels to South Africa today without Lancaster. He's staying in Dublin to prepare the squad for Toulouse.

New two year central contract for Ryan. I'm delighted.

Been in great form since last season and has upped his performances again. One of the best second rows in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Well said. I suppose a slight counter argument is how well Leinster would be able to retain those players in a competitive market, if they were free to play outside of Ireland and still represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think that is more of a different argument than a counter argument to "your wage bill/salary cap is way higher". The overall benefits package is wider than salary, it includes the attraction of being in consideration for Irish selection, but also things like player welfare - less games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Don't England players have to play in their domestic league to represent England too?

The BBC article below gives more detail, so the Irish and English system is the same, players have to play for a team within the country, except that England have 11 teams to choose from to our 4.

"Rugby Football Union rules do not allow players based abroad to be selected for England - but an exception was made for former Wasps and Worcester players after those clubs folded."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed and in the case of Willis who has been one of the few stand-out players for England this past 6 Nations , because he has now resigned for Toulouse I think he will be out of contention for England after the World Cup.

The exemption for Wasps/Worcester only applied to the current season afaik.

The other point regarding the Wigglesworth comments is that I like to see the names of the Leicester academy products that they have had to let go of in recent seasons because of the Salary cap?

A quick look through the 43 players listed on their website for the Snr squad shows only 8 came through the Leicester academy while 15+ are overseas players.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Well how come Jack Willis who plays for Toulouse played for England in the 6N this year then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Well how come Jack Willis who plays for Toulouse played for England in the 6N this year then ?

It literally says it in the post you quoted.

"Rugby Football Union rules do not allow players based abroad to be selected for England - but an exception was made for former Wasps and Worcester players after those clubs folded."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think a big thing that the Leinster schools and academy system does that doesn't get accounted for enough (especially by foreign media/analysts) is strongly encourage/grow a great sense of community and support amongst the players. They really, really like being part of the Leinster set up socially.

To the point where if playing opportunities are mostly equal a lot of the guys will accept a lower salary to stay here, rather than ply their trade in a English/French team for more money.

Its a harder to quantify thing than just a salary number so I don't think it gets discussed much. But I've known a couple of guys who were in the system and when offers came in from abroad it was a big factor in their decision making.

I think that comes from success though, and the perception that it is an elite institution (the Leinster Academy).

It definitely exists, but it's something you could see disappear in a different climate quite easily IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Got my tickets for the Semi-final, but site was acting up. Actually think I got them through the public sale link rather than the Leinster link, but who knows, it all seemed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah has crashed twice on me now and has kicked me back into the queue. Is the seat map generally off for presales?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This seems to get overlooked, they usually point to Saracens needing to break the salary cap to keep their homegrown players but that seems tenuous considering the imports they had (and not all those 'homegrown' lads came through the academy. Who are Leicester struggling to keep? They simply aren't producing players in the way Leinster are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

The season ticket link is a joke, still showing 10 mins plus wait. I have gotten the tickets through the general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is the traveling squad named? To be honest, I would like to see a combo of Tector and Frawley together and Prendergast and Frawley. I doubt it will be so as this opportunity is a great chance for Frawley to play out half.

I suppose O'Brien is a good option in the 12 shirt too. Jenkins traveling is a risk I'd be hesitant to take. But the options are limited.

Yeah seatmap is disabled when sales window initially opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There's that but also playing for the team you supported as a child, with easy access for your family and friends to attend, means something.

Community is important in Irish culture, as you said within the Leinster system but also beyond that.

I'd say nearly all Leinster players take some sort of 'hometown discount' to stay with the team, like most Munster players probably did during their peak years.

Some of the changes certain corners are calling for driven mostly out of jealousy risks killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Taking steps to strip away player's connection to their home provinces and you likely end up with more players plying their trade abroad. I can see why foreign coaches and media would be very happy to push this agenda, for anyone Irish it is shortsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The cynic in me wonders is it to put people under pressure not knkwinh how many tickets are left or sell worse seats to the most keen fans. I was turning off restricted view and got offered restricted view seats a few times too..

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Yes. All the better to sell you worse tickets for full price.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be like Ticketmaster to be cynical would it???

Seeing reports of people being booted off after too many searches - which sounds like another ploy to pressure people into purchasing and feeling lucky to get what they get.

Advertisement