Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For me the happy medium would be that provincial runner-ups get into the groups, but aren't seeded 2. Instead they are seeded 2,3 or 4 based on their league position. So it would be the same 16 teams but it would lead to, probably, more equitable groups. Though a counter-point would be that it reduces the possibility of a group of death.

e.g., based on recyclebins provincial predictions (and correcting his minor Donegal/Derry mistake). Number in brackets is league ranking, hopefully I haven't got it wrong. Provincial runner-ups in bold

1st Seeds: Dublin, Kerry, Galway, Tyrone

2nd Seeds: Mayo (1), Roscommon (3), Monaghan (6), Derry (8)

3rd Seeds: Armagh (9), Donegal (10), Louth (11), Cork (12)

4th Seeds: Kildare (13), Clare (17), Westmeath (20) Sligo (23)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

As a Cavan supporter, I really enjoyed the Tailteann campaign last year and was devastated when we lost the Final.

I have no problem with us having another crack at it this year. I’d feel we are better than some of the teams in the top 16 but the bottom line is we aren’t going to win Sam.

The Tailteann is a cup we can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Also winning Tailteain guarantees you Sam entry the following year. If Meath or Kildare fail to make the Sam competition this year they will want to win Tailteain to gaurantee Sam entry next year as will teams like Clare, Limerick, Down Cavan etc.

What needs to happen is that within 5 years to get to a situation where promotion and relegation becomes oart of the Sam/ Tailteain competition

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

"They’ve already sidelined weaker teams enough IMO, I think of you reach a provincial final you deserve a crack at the groups."

Well maybe, if the provincial championships were all run off the same, ie seeded but they are not. Sligo will be in it after betaing London and more than likely NY, hardly fair? Weaker counties in other provinces done have such an easy route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s no different to the traditional difficult path that some teams have always had to navigate. Might aswell say that the Munster and Leinster champions shouldn’t automatically qualify either as they are effectively kerry and Dublins processions!

I don’t think you should amend a rule now because some provinces are now much weaker than others. Also I think it’s better to have guaranteed at least 2 teams from each province for Sam to remain a proper all ireland. There could be years where you have only one team from one or two provinces , does anybody want that?

Tod is a gas man. I’d say serious regret about that arrogant opening post. So clear that he didn’t give Roscommon a chance yesterday.

Now having to backtrack and reckons losing was a great thing and that mayo didn’t care about the game, but now has to contradict his opening post about how winning provincials last year which led to an easier path to a final is now a bad thing all because mayo won’t now be favourably seeded.

egg on face stuff, but this is an annual thing for poor aul Tod who loves the torture. Up the Rossies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I wonder if you asked the Sligo players and management would they prefer to go Tailteann or Sam what would they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Christ, I have to answer this.

Where did I say that losing was a great thing?

My honest opinion is that I don't know if losing or winning was a good or bad thing for Mayo

Only time will tell.

I thought Mayo would beat Roscommon but they obviously didn't.

Mayo have played poorly for three weeks now, not up to their early league standard.

The group stages will tell if Mayo were just early league wonders like many are or are real contenders.

I still think they have the potential to be the latter.

Also I think being a third seed is not that bad when you see that the following will be two seeds.

Sligo/New York

Limerick/Clare

Offaly/Meath/Louth/Westmeath.

I dont care what they think, if they are good enough to compete for Sam they would be in Division 2, they got an easy route this year that isnt available to similar teams in other provinces due to seeding etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Potentially there could be 4 or 5 teams from Division 3 and 4 in group stages for Sam. If Sligo and Westmeath end up in one group the games could be very one sided.

The whole system is very poorly thought out. Fans won't know who or where and when they play until very late in the day.

The likes of Cork could potentially end up in the Tailteann which does no good for anyone. They are not a bottom 16 team.

The club and ladies championship structures are done a lot better where you're playing teams at your level and can be promoted and relegated based on results. Not on results from another province!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭poppers

The likes of Cork could potentially end up in the Tailteann which does no good for anyone. They are not a bottom 16 team.

If the end up there its their own fault. They lost a munster quater final so you could also argue they should be out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe Cork have some cunning plan. This was only a month ago.

Storming second half sees Cork comfortably overcome Clare

Cork 3-10 Clare 1-8

Report by Kieran Shannon for the Irish Examiner newspaper

The notion that Cork are on their way back to being a legitimate force and promotion contenders gained further credibility here after they ultimately comfortably dispatched of a Clare side that for the past six years have been very much a bogey team for them.

Only once in the last five league or championship clashes between the sides had Cork emerged victorious but a massive second half performance saw them win at their ease in front of 2,596 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are absolutely sidelining the weaker teams, it is unfortunate that people in charge cannot see the long term effects of this. I think people are asleep at the wheel here.

The most insidious change is that of entry to Sam Maguire. Previously every county was in the competition by default, now it is the opposite. Now the weaker counties are not in Sam Maguire.

That matters, that is a huge change, both in segregating the provincials (which are going to be dead within years) and also in the effect it will have on culture within the weaker counties. Kids used to dream of winning the All Ireland, now their county is not even in it and haven't got close in their lifetime, what do you think will happen to the pool of talent there? What do you think happens in a world where kids have no history of competing in a sport?

They are heading towards the same model as hurling, a segregated world where less than 10 teams compete and all the rest scratch about for minor trophies that mean little. You think kids in Fermanagh or Leitrim give a solid blue **** about Liam McCarthy trophy? Obviously they don't, they aren't in it and never will be.

Go down this road and within years the provincials will be dead, it will be 50/50 if the Tailteann cup retains its guaranteed prize of a place in Sam, eventually it will all come down to league placing and hey presto we get the one thing we should have been avoiding at all costs, the scenario where the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker.

I already know what people will say to this now, its already clear people can't see the woods for the trees. But in about 5 years time you will start to see the effects, and within 10 years a lot of people will be crying about where it all went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We are not heading towards any segregated world.

It has always been segregated.

Kids can dream all they want about winning the All Ireland but it's never gonna happen for most counties. What good are the dreams of those kids in Wicklow, Limerick, Waterford, Fermanagh.

They can dream of winning the Tailteann Cup and there should be no shame in that. What will help is if people stuck in the past stop telling them their is shame in it.

How do you reckon the it will be only 50/50 that the TC winner gets a place in the Sam Maguire?

Where are you getting that from?

I think that his the best incentive to come out of the TC.

If a team are on the bubble for Sam Maguire inclusion (Limerick/Clare/Meath/Kildare) and they don't make it you can be sure they will take the TC seriously to avoid the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Spot on. It was great to see Westmeath celebrate wildly after winning last years Tailteann Cup. That final v Cavan was an excellent game. I can see the Tailteann going from strength to strength as the years go by.

Because its the same thinking that created these structures in the first place.

By definition it will be the weaker teams in the TC, and when the weaker teams repeatedly finish bottom of the groups and take beatings from the top seeds, you will start to hear the cries from people lamenting these weaker teams taking a spot away from a "bigger" side.

Hell, we are already hearing that now in this very thread and it hasn't even started yet!

Those calls will come, and the 50/50 is how long the GAA will resist the call to change. Disagree all you want, but there is nothing outlandish about the scenario, people complaining about weak teams polluting their championship is exactly what leads to seeding in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So called weaker teams have never had it so good in the history of the gaa

On a given year a potential 24 out of 32 teams would have a shot of competing in sam based on league position in a normal year (depending on where the tailteann Cup winners and provincial finalists land). Any team can qualify for Sam by winning 2 or 3 provincial games.

Do you think that if we keep the likes of carlow and laois in the Sam maguire that one day they are going to have a magical year and go all the way? Well the good news is they still have that option, and the even better news is that they also now have a much better option to compete in a competition they can win.

Which do you think is better for the young players of weaker counties, witnessing repeated beatings year after year in a competition they will never win or competing in a competition they might actually win? I know which one I would pick - and you only have to look at the scenes from westmeath last year to see what it means to real gaa people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Exactly - there are senior, intermediate and junior championships in every county in the country and the club players there would take your hand off for a county medal. Not sure why it should be different at IC level

No, it wasn't segregated. It might have been a pipedream previously but it was possible, and now it isn't.

Last year my team was in the all Ireland, this year they won't be. Simple as that.

Like I already said, it is disappointing that people cannot see the long term consequences of that, it is really shortsighted to basically dismiss those weaker teams, to patronisingly pat them on the head and tell them to be happy with their Tommy Murphy cup.

I'm from Limerick I don't see the Tailteann Cup as a pat on the head.

I see it as a way for dedicated but not top class players to get to actually aim for something achievable.

Same as every junior and intermediate club footballer in the country.

Have any division 3 or 4 counties won an All Ireland any time recently ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I had thought that Mayo wouldn't be able to play Roscommon (if they were to win Connacht) a second time until the quarter finals but looking at the details again, there's nothing to stop Mayo (or Galway) being drawn against Roscommon in that scenario.

One tweak which might help mitigate against very weak/strong groups would be that a team's preliminary QF would be against a 2nd/3rd placed team from a different group rather than the same group

Last year my team was in the all Ireland, this year they won't be. Simple as that.

That can't be true.

Every team plays in a provincial championship, thus by default are in the All Ireland (Sam Maguire) to start with.

I thought it was 2nd and 3rd from different groups.

Seems stupid making 2 teams play again a few weeks after meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

It's beyond stupid. Trying to prevent dead rubbers. But it just takes all the jeopardy out of the first 2 games in the group. Classic GAA trying to please everyone.

There is probably a lot of mixed messaging that I don't want to wade through, but when you look at what the all-ireland actually now is you get a lot of wording like this from the GAA website

Ultimately the 16 counties that will compete in Round One the All-Ireland series are to be seeded in the following way:

and

The remaining 16 teams, who don't advance to the All-Ireland SFC, will compete in the Tailteann Cup

"The remaining teams who don't advance to the AI SFC", I don't know of any reasonable way to read that except that we currently aren't in the AI SFC.

The provincials are no longer the all-ireland and it will absolutely kill them within a few years, I don't think there is anybody would disagree with that. And the more they die the more likely those automatic entries to the AI quietly disappear as well. First the losers spot, then the winners.

Again, this is not some crazy one in a million scenario, it is the more likely outcome.

I agree the new format will kill the provincials.

Difference is I don't see it as a bad thing. If Limerick pull off a surprise against Clare that 1 win means we are in a tournament we really are not at the level to be in. I'm much more excited to see how we go in TC than the possibility of beating Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Get to a provincial final and you make the AI series. Every county has the opportunity to do that so therefore they're all in the All Ireland. Previously 8 teams made the quarter finals/AI series and were seeded so its the same thing in a different format.

If anything so called "lesser" teams have more opportunities to reach the AI series than before.

• League ranking
    • Make provincial final
    • Win the Tailteann cup

• Advertisement

Get to an FA cup final and you get to play at Wembley in the FA cup final. Every soccer team has the opportunity to do that so therefore they're all in the FA cup final.

Yeah, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Don't get your logic tbh. They are all in the FA Cup at some point. Only two teams can make it to the FA Cup final.

In an overall sense I do think the format will need tweaking for a few reasons but again most of them would be to plamas a few counties and plamasing a few is the reason the format needs to be tweaked in the first instance.

Current format is already consigning the provincials to the bin and I fully agree with you there. But the provincials have been going that direction in Leinster and Munster the past while now while the other two provinces have been genuinely competitive.

The FA cup.

The distant 3rd in tournaments for English soccer teams.

The big 2 are very very graded.

Lets just leave the goal posts where they started, thanks.

Its a response to saying that all teams are in the competition. They literally aren't, according to the GAA. If you have to qualify for it then you aren't in it until you have done that.

You can qualify for the Open golf championship by playing in the OQS, but playing in the OQS doesn't mean you get to say you played in the Open, because they are different things.

Isn't that consistent with the way it has always been referred to though? I think you are reading way too much into the name of any round of the compeition.

Like even back in the 1990s (pre-backdoor) the only part of the competition with the name 'All-Ireland' was the semi-finals and finals. Everything else was Ulster prelim round, Munster Semi, Leinster Final etc. So only 4 teams were in the competition that had All-Ireland in the title, but no-one would have said the other 28 were being excluded from anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They are in the competition, till they are not - it's as simple as that really.

I know it's Wiki but it explains it:

Your FA cup analogy wasn't great to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is senior intermediate and junior in every competition on the GAA (hurling has McCarty, McDonagh, Ring and Meagher cups) but Football the most popular of them cannot be tiered.

Every team needs a theoretical chance to win it. The last time a team outside D1 won it was in 2002 when Armagh won beating Kerry. Actually neither were D2 technically they were D3 as at the time there was D1A&B, with the rest in D2A&B.

Last time ( ignoring 2021 and COVID) had a decent run it was Clare in 1992, before that probably Sligo in 1975.

On every GAA competition except football there are tiers. Hurling has four. Every one of these is strengthening and improving except for the most popular Football.

The present tiered system is deeply flawed. If this year Westmeath or Clare/Limerick made the AI SF they will probably not qualify for the Sam competition next year.

There is no jeopardy in the group system no relegation and it's unlikely any D1 team will not make the QF unless we have a group of death with all D1 teams. The only reward is if you finish top of the group you go straight to a SF.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

1975 was the year that Sligo beat Galway and Mayo and got to the AI Semi Final. Where they were soundly despatched by Kerry, 3-13 to 0-05.

Kerry played Tipp on 15 June, Cork on 13 July, Sligo on 20 August and Dublin on 28 September to win the AI. Simpler times.

Mad to think some people want to go back to those simple times.

You would wonder how the game is in the healthy state it's in after 100 years of that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Meath, Cavan and Clare or Limerick need to make provincial finals. That is not going to kill the provincials.

Counties might see after the group stage that winning the province is an advantage. At home to Seed 3 and away to Seed 4 gives a good opportunity for two wins. Also, being away to a Division 1 opponent in the preliminary quarter-finals is not ideal. Group winners advance to the quarters. Group runners-up have home advantage in the preliminary quarter-finals.

What I think will kill the provinces is that big teams won't go for it anymore with a group stage to come after.

Maybe your right and teams will want the seeding.

The present tiered system is deeply flawed. If this year Westmeath or Clare/Limerick made the AI SF they will probably not qualify for the Sam competition next year.

But there have always been situations like that.

In the old backdoor system provincial winners never got the benefit of a second try whereas everyone else did.

If Westmeath or Clare/Limerick want to be back in the Sam Maguire championship in 2024 they will try get promoted from Div 3 to boost their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭blowitupref

All Ireland (Sam) outright odds for the top 10

Kerry 7/4 - Should come into form come the group stage, Starting 15 among the best with one of the best managers

Dublin 5/2 - odds a little short IMO, it's 2002 since a team playing in Div 2 won the AI. They don't have the strength in depth of before

Galway 4/1 - confidence from reaching last years final, well organised side, 2020 AI U20s making impact.

Mayo 5/1 - lacking the leaders/warriors they had 2013/2017 when at their best. Can the rookies in defence hold their own in the business end?

Derry 14/1 - Exceeded expectations last year could be the opposite for them this summer

Tyrone 14/1 - coming under the radar somewhat, started to find their form at the end of the league.

Armagh 22/1 - Poor in Ulster will be no surprise if Cavan beat them and then go on to reach and lose another AI quarter final

Roscommon 40/1 - 3rd in Div1 when favourites to get relegated if they reach the AI quarter final and competitive in that game it will be a good first year under Davy Burke

Monaghan 50/1 - Once again pulled off the great escape in Div 1, hard to know how they'll fare in the championship should reach a Prem QF anyway.

Donegal 66/1 - things are bad on and off the field hard to see them making any impact in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Galway are 6/1 and Mayo are 7/1.

In the qualifier era there has been a safety net as well. Provincial champions avoid provincial champions. More competitive games before the group stage. Players wanted more games. There are good reasons to still win the provinces. If a county has already qualified through the league, it might be sensible not to risk injury for some players. That's managing the squad. It might create an opportunity for provincial shocks.

To get through the group though with the intention of winning for a quarter-final spot or at least as runner-up for a home preliminary quarter-final, winning the province is the best route. At home to Seed 3 and away to Seed 4 is the best possibility of at least 2 wins that will go along way to securing second in the group at least. I don't think many counties will fancy travelling away to Croke Park, Castlebar, Galway, Killarney to name a few at the preliminary quarter-final stage.

I know the answer is that the provincial councils control their own fixtures but why the fcuk do we have last week with 7 or 8 games and this week with just two.

Agreed. Especially when it was clear that there should be a two week gap between league finals and the provincial championships. The provincial championships should be played over 5 weekends. Only 2 games this weekend proves that.

-1. League finals.

0. Weekend off.

1. Leinster and Ulster preliminary rounds. Connacht and Munster quarter-finals.

2. Leinster and Ulster quarter-finals.

3. Connacht and Munster semi-finals.

4. Leinster and Ulster semi-finals.

5. Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Ulster finals.

Ulster quarter-finals over one weekend is a complete no-no, so there's little point in you suggesting it every page.

Too much tradition of hard-core GAA fans up North who travel to every game in the competition, so 2 games on the one day would kill that.

Same applies in other provinces though to a lesser extent. By all means tweak the schedule (only two games this weekend is poor planning) but be realistic.

• Advertisement

It's crazy, was busy during the week so wanst paying much attention to media etc and was looking forward to watching a few games this wekend, couldn't believe it when i saw the fixtures

Advertisement