Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Charles III a closet republican?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The DUP strike as old school monarchists, the "know your place" crowd who think unwavering, fawning fealty to the crown is being a good Briton; that outsized Lady Protesting too Much cos anything to not be thought as Irish. Meanwhile the rest of the UK seeing the Royals more as a useful bit for tourism, a cultural nicety and throwback (though maybe not even that with certain ethnicities and PoC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think if you injected King Charles with sodium penathol and asked him, he'd say the UK should renounce the six Counties and Ireland should reunite immediately.

In fact, you probably wouldn't even need the drug.

Charles has been in Ireland way more than his public diary would suggest, he often came privately for holidays with friends he has, mostly in Munster.

He loves it here, for the peace, the privacy, the fact people just leave well known folk alone and that he is treated as just another bloke. Plus he loves the outdoors and nature. Its just like Scotland, but with easier hills and nobody bowing.

He and Michael D are also thick as thieves.

I'd go so far as to say if Charles hadn't been the heir, he'd probably be living in Mountbatten's old house in Classiebawn for donkey's years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Charles was in foul humour at the swearing of the oaths of office, during which he grimaced ,at the privy council ( the incident with the pen) however this was a distraction from his distaste at the actual oaths which are bigoted and anti catholic. He is definitely a republican albeit a a pragmatic one .

I think it’s because sin Féin give him irish hospitality and chat with him and have the craic and the unionists are 0 craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think he will only rules for 5-10 years and hand over to william then. He saw what waiting did to him and know for the monarchy to survive it cannot have old King or queen after old king or queen

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I see C III has given the title 'Duke of Edinburgh to his brother Prince Edward.

Prince Andrew, who had expected it for himself said 'Ok, no sweat!'

• I don’t think Andrew expected anything from Charles though? Didn’t he make it crystal clear he’s not welcome in the family, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭tinytobe

A large part of British history was always about the Parliament and the Monarch and who can decide and do what. This goes back to the English civil war, the beheading of Charles the 1st, Cromwell, The Restauration and later on the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

The King has no right to impose taxes and impose laws and can also not declare war on anybody, even though he's the monarch.

In a nutshell, he can't do very much, other than represent, nice neutral speeches and wreath laying ceremonies on various occasions such as Remembrance Day.

He doesn't even have a passport, neither a driver's license and only travels overseas if he's invited.

Also, imagine, you're living right in central London and can't go out for a beer to a pub or any other meal on your own, or a movie or a theatre or opera performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How does that square with British law, and various rights afforded to persons there? Does William have a passport, and more freedom in his affairs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I presume he's bound by legislation or the like to that effect. It would be interesting if he challenged such restrictions legally. Harder nowadays given the UK doesn't fall under the European High Courts

He is constrained by the unwritten constitution.

I am not sure how a monarch can challenge himself in his own courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I suppose, William as well as Kate and all the other members of the Royal family do have passports and do need driver's licenses when driving a car.

They have more freedom, but would have to follow security regulations and the media would be all over them, where ever they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't he say he'd serve for life?

UK has not (yet) left the ECHR, it's nothing to do with the EU.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

His mother swore to serve for life - 'be it long or be it short'. Not sure he made the same commitment, but he is 73 now.

If he challenged anything it would be a constitutional crisis that might end his reign, and possibly the monarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No. The hardliner NI Unionists have, as Malcolm Tucker would say, all the charm of a rotting teddy bear by a graveside. They're probably a bit embarrassing to him and his title that the most ardent pro-Monarchy fanatics are head-bangers who hate gays and think the world is about 6 thousand years old. They're obviously clowns and it's a blow to the ego to know you're best supported by clowns.

But he has shown no evidence that he doubts the role of the Monarchy. I think the Monarchy is a complete joke that old British people play on themselves. It doesn't so much harm nowadays though so I say leave them to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He did say he’d serve until death. It was “however long god grants me.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That doesn't mean death. In the past, it has been interpreted as loss of possession of the monarch's faculties.

If the soundness of the King's mind was ever in doubt, the Government and the Lord Chamberlain could take a decision, confirmed by an Act of Parliament, to name the Prince of Wales as Prince Regent until the natural death of the King and his own formal accession.

It last occurred when 'Mad' King George III was bypassed in 1811 and his son, later George IV, ruled as Regent until 1820.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He seems to like Ireland, he has been here a number of times, but I would not say he is a "closet republican", the question of this thread. After all, his favourite Uncle, a retired man of 79, was murdered ( along with other civilians) by republicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Apologies if you're joking. But the OP presumably means to ask if Charles is republican on the quearionnof whether the UK should have a Monarchy or not, whether it should be a Monarchy or a Republic. Not whether NI should belong as part of the UK or ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

Charles will only last about 5 year max he is getting old and tired, he and Camilla should be in Balmoral in retirement. He will hand over to William much sooner than people think. Plus the last 5 years of harry & his harlot have taken their toll on him. He is a monarchist at heart but he most likely sees that time will erode it he is a bright man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well I thought of both aspects of the question. Moreso the NI question. However either way of looking at it is fine by me.

Advertisement