Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is why I’m saying EVS aren’t for everyone or even the majority tbh.

Posters saying otherwise aren’t thinking from a financial pov.

First world problems 😂.

Jaysus a diesel isn’t that bad to drive!

I’ve a 2011 Vauxhall insignia Sri that is incredibly comfortable and I regularly do 350km a day.

Maybe I just know no better though 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

You're obviously not comparing like with like there though...shattered after 200kms in a diesel but fresh as a daisy after 700km in an EV. There must be other factors at work there.

I drive an EV on a daily basis and find it easy to drive of course but I certainly don't get this being shattered by the drone of a diesel engine. I just done a 350km journey in a diesel, most of which was on a motorway, and I arrived completely fresh and unruffled by the nvh of the diesel engine. The majority of the journey was done with car cruising in 6th gear with no audible engine noise. But of course thats my opinion and others may have different experiences.

IMO most of these threads end up with EV drivers advising people they should drive EVs and some ICE drivers responding with reasons why you shouldn't drive an EV as if there is an objectively right and wrong position in every case. I think these arguments are pretty unproductive at this stage.

If you want to drive an EV, they are a brilliant option and far cheaper to run, especially if you can charge at home. But they don't suit everyone and some people simply would prefer to drive an ICE for a while yet for multiple reasons. Personally Ive no problem with that.

people are free to drive what they want, and i couldnt care less really, what annoys me are the lazy arguments against ev ownership that get trotted out time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have always considered Diesel cars to be horrible yokes with tractor engines in them. I didn't jump on the bandwagon for chape tax like many people did. When renting a car abroad, I'm often stuck with diesel and I hate it. Such a loud and laggy experience. You don't realise how load until you turn off the engine and realise the radio is nearly on full blast. I nearly cried when I saw the first 320D on the road. That's when I gave up on BMW.

Driving an EV is so much smoother. There really is no argument except from those with no experience.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Had a good one from a friend of mine yesterday, didn't think he could buy an EV as they're all too plasticy inside, I kid you not.

He'd only been in one, Ioniq 5.

Haven't been in one but can't imagine it's much "worse" than any other Hyundai.

I had an Ioniq 28 in 2019 and it was grand, no rolls Royce but similar to other cars around that price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

Seen posts on Facebook last night where the poster said a Model Y was €63k and it costs €3000 for a home charger.

When corrected the goal posts were moved and said it was against company policy to provide a car with the range available and the boot space didn’t match the manufacturers claims.

Some people just want rinse the world burn🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've had an EV, Diesel's, Petrols and now a Plugin in Hybrid. I actually went from a full EV back to a Petrol and didn't regret it. Probably stick with plugin in hybrids now for tax reasons it certainly doesn't make me cry when the engine kicks in and I don't notice the noise difference when driving.

Mrs has a diesel don't mind driving it when she borrows mine. An EV can be smoother, it doesn't mean it's more fun or engaging to drive than everything that's went before it.

• Advertisement

facebook discussion groups, where common sense goes to die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I drive a mixture of EV, petrol and diesel.

Also drive a large van at times and have done for 25 years. Some of them being rough yokes.

I don't get excited about one over the other.

The big vans are awkward to park or manoeuvre etc.

The noise difference is negligible really.

People are trying to make out driving an EV is some sort of new experience when really it's not.

On any given day I could be in a Tesla, 530e, 535d, 520d, high top transit, twin wheel transit, proace, eNiro and getting into the EV is significantly more enjoyable than any of the ICE cars. IMO. No argument there.

Big difference between a transit and an EV for sure.

But to say "significantly more enjoyable" between a regular ice and an ev, that's just a load of bollox really.

I've no preference, obviously you do, but for me the fundamentals are the same, wheels, doors, boot, radio, windscreen wipers, speed limits, seatbelts, steering wheel etc.

Not really sure what big differences people are seeing after that to make it significantly more enjoyable, a bit quieter maybe but never bothered anybody before, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Must be time for an obscure cobalt reference soon @waterwelly?

I have a super smooth straight six bmw diesel. 3.0 twin turbo pushing over 360bhp. It’s a lovely ICE to have.

But for general driving along the EV is so much smoother, no gear changes, no vibrations from the engine, no waiting for the turbo to kick in for power, just effortless.

ICE has its place but for me and anyone else that has actually had an EV, you always go back to the EV for some reason.

Maybe for you as you see a car as a tool. But many of us are actually into cars. Some still have I6 M3’s parked up for the next generation 😃 and coming from a long line of performance cars, both JDM and German, the EV is more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm in an EV now and staying there, its a smoother drive for sure but I came from an audi a6 diesel just before that was very refined and probably just as quiet on the move. Was more comfortable too, better seats. Was a dearer car in 2014 when new though than my 2022 EV so there's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You didn't disagree with any part of the post you quoted. A petrol, while noisier than an EV is not nearly as noisy as a diesel. Diesel engines just sound horrible and industrial. They don't belong in cars.

Thanks. Riveting and well thought out contribution. One question; what part?

You only see the utility in the vehicle. This is a motoring forum, so there are plenty here who enjoy cars. I love a lot of petrol cars, but I wouldn't go back unless I had to. I would never buy a diesel. I despise them. In my last job, I had a small diesel van and drove about 1000 klms per week. After a couple of hours, I would have a headache from the constant noise of the engine.

For most people, I would say driving an EV is a very different experience and a nice improvement over an ICE vehicle. Better.....not new.

Stay Free

You see I've no real interest in cars at all and use it as a tool as you say.

I love using my PV to charge everything and that whole technology interests me as an investment. After that I don't really care.

I still think EV's are a conjob though and we will be hit with a lot of taxes / charges / tolls / pay be weight at some point and they won't be cheap to run at all.

I’ve been utilizing PV since 2017 alright. My 4.7kw array, 5.2 kWh battery, hot water divertor and smart EV charger has returned its initial outlay and exceeded it by now. €3900 all in before the explosion of prices 😆

EV taxation will increase in time as ICE is phased out. Nobody is denying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think a lot of the reason EV drivers are so defensive is because so many of the arguements thrown at them don't actually add up in the real world. Range anxiety isn't really a problem in the real world as EV drivers tend to be early adapters and view the glass as half full with a lot of things in life. That's just what I've observed. The anti-ev people are generally the know-it-all types who place feelings before facts and see EVs as some form of a threat to the steady lives they live every day. Then you've got people on the fence who don't really care less either way. Everyone will end up in an EV eventually. It's just how you decide to do it. Adapt early, follow the crowd or wait as long as possible and when you do finally buy one find something else to be dead set against to fill that void.

Jesus what a ridiculous post.

Can you not understand that EVs genuinely don’t suit large cohorts of peoples needs nor make financial sense when you go from a debt free car to an expensive EV.

I don’t look at a 55k Tesla as 55k- it’s 700pm repayments. (Approx figures)

This crap of anti ev people objecting to evs because they’re know it alls! I haven’t heard such crap in a long time. Congratulations.

Range anxiety isn’t a problem as long as you spend massive money on a long range ev and put yourself in a large amount of debt if you regularly travel long distances and don’t want to depend on the crappy public infrastructure.

It’s not that hard to understand.

Jesus what a ridiculous post.

I could quote the rest of your post but it makes no difference. Sounds like an EV is not for you.

There’s a general motoring forum over there ——> Might save your blood pressure as you seem to be angry that people are happy in their EV’s.

Nope couldn’t care either way and when they become affordable I’ll happily own one.

There seems to be a few on here that get triggered when someone points out an EV is not for everyone despite the oft repeated claim that they are.

I’ll post where I like thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've only bought 3 diesels in my life and liked all 3, two were V6 and the other a 4 cylinder convertible. The words horrible and industrial don't spring to mind when thinking about them.

1000km a week small diesel I've done it myself in a Renault 5. Didn't turn me off diesel in the same way buckfast didn't turn me off Guinness.

EV's are ok to drive, there not some kind of game changer though, just another car with their own traits definitely not as much fun like lighter ice cars with real characters.

Post wherever you want. But don’t get annoyed when you’re called out for posting pub talk. Or corrected on fake facts.

It’s ok that you don’t want an EV. Perfectly fine. But when people come in spouting crap and half truths they have to be corrected. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Okay so maybe I went in a bit hard. I was a bit hangry an hour ago. ICE cars are not debt free. It's not like they are giving them away at the dealership. In fact, they are very expensive at the moment.

Bizarre post that smacks of insecurity.

I've never met anybody who is "anti-EV"

At the end of the day EV's and ICE are similar in a lot more ways than dissimilar.

Similar: wheels, windows, doors, windscreen wipers, headlights, radio, doors, you need to stick something into them to put fuel in them, pedals, boot, bonnet, very bad for the environment

Dissimilar: no gearbox option on an EV, a bit quieter, better torque if overtaking is your thing, less servicing costs in an EV.

I’ll add to your dissimilar column:

Substantial reduction in cabin noise.

Increased torque and performance when compared to similar ICE cars.

Increased interior space relative to similar sized ICE car. Increased storage due to bigger boots and frunk options.

The possibility of clean motoring with renewable charging options.

• Advertisement

no problem.

So I’m comparing my car which is debt free vs me then having to get an ev which would involve a loan.

If car shat itself in the morning I could pickup a diesel to match my needs for 10k cash or a small loan.

Advertisement