Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

To Look on the bright side, I still have great faith in this management team and they have just been given a fairly comprehensive list of what needs to be fixed or worked on and they have 6 weeks to work on it! Still disappointing to lose to Roscommon at home, but fair play to them they were the better team on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm hoping yesterday was a real wake up call for management and some players.

If a team is going to sit back and defend then is see absolutely no point in having Loftus at 6. His kicking (which we haven't seen a whole pile of anyway) is nullified and his weakness is exposed when those teams break. Any decent team will have this targeted by now.

Middle of the park is a big worry. Flynn got off to a great league but is going the other direction. Ruane was bullied and beaten up yesterday.

I've been a little concerned with Reape's kick-outs, but I don't think it's far to criticise them too much given that our midfield were cleaned out and the Rossies seemed first to every breaking ball.

I think the 6 weeks could be a massive bonus if it gives them some thinking time. But we were going all out for the win yesterday and failed miserably.

I haven't seen enough of Conor McStay but he doesn't seem to add much to the team. You couldn't script McHale's head injury, he seems destined to be unlucky.

The one positive I took from yesterday was that I don't think I saw McLaughlin kick the ball. He looked as if he was about to late on but stopped himself and gave a simple handpass instead. It's not much to take from the match but it's something.

The only other slight bit of solace is that if we do get to the latter stages, most of the better teams won't set up as negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Wouldn't have too many complaints on the referee either. That first free Roscommon got was a joke though. Are we supposed to believe no Roscommon backs were holding off the ball for the rest of the game when we didn't get a free like that?

It wasn't a game for kicking into the full forward line with the wind and rain. Roscommon didn't kick anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If coen went low and hard We would be saying how we should have been kicking in more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Oh ya. That first free. I rewinded a couple of times last night to see if there was anything obvious from the recorded match. I couldn't see anything, but in fairness the camera was a fair distance from the alleged incident. Ref was obviously trying to lay down a marker that he could see everything that was going on. Presumably he got the shout in his earpiece from the other officials.

But ya, you'll always get some level of contact between the backs and forwards. Frees are generally given when it is seen that the back is overstepping the mark and illegally prohibiting the forward from a decent chance of the forward gathering the ball. But in that incident I couldn't see any obvious indiscretion.

On the high kick into the forwards, I don't think Mayo are cute enough. When a high ball is kicked into O'Shea, there are inevitablely lads pulling at him, But you'd never see any of our other forwards around him to give a bit of physicality back to the defenders. Why don't they try to block the defenders out of the way. At least in a way that might throw them off their game.

But even the chance for Coen came from a wayward ball into Aidan O'Shea. You couldn't base your game plan on accurate kick passing with the conditions yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Biggest problem was around the middle. They won very little all day and no one around to mop up breaking ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I disagree. Mayo won a savage amount of Roscommon kickouts. Not only that the Roscommon goalie had a meltdown. Mayo did not lose because of lack of possession from kickouts. In the first half they did not use the wind well and did not kick points from distance.

The last two points Murtagh scored were both excellent. One if them was from 48 meters out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Mayo were afraid to shoot yesterday, that was their biggest problem, a lot of players hadn't the balls to take on the shot, a lot of the time in very kickable positions, Roscommon kicked points from harder angles and distances.

• Advertisement

Only won 3/17 Roscommon kickouts. Most of them were 50:50 ones out to midfield as well, so no excuse for not breaking even.

I was gonna say, I'd love to see the stats because it didn't look to me like we were winning much in the middle at all. Back in the day, we had the likes of McLoughlin and Doherty who were really smart around the breaking ball in particular, but no one like that there the last day. No point playing a high press game if the middle is winning nothing - leaves the defence totally vulnerable.

Where is the best place to get match stats?

Not doubting above at all, I thought we were completely bullied in the middle third all day.

I think Roscommon's last couple of points put a gloss on that. They were cracking points, but their shooting was poor for most of the second half. It was a very poor match in general.

It's a cliché, but the goals definitely won the game on Sunday. If Coen's had went in, I think the Rossies would have probably have had opened up a fair bit more.

Agree with that. Cillian's point from play out wide into the wind was the most difficult from either side. Roscommon didn't score a point from play until the 61st minute.

Goals were obviously the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

they scored a goal from play tho? or does that not count, as your post is intended to downplay Roscommons ability?

Facts are the Mayo were tactically naive, and were the worst team on Sunday. If we meet them again I expect to win due to Mayos croke park pedigree, improvement through the remainder of the year, and options off the bench. Plus, we wont be 7 days after winning a competition final. But none of this negats that Roscommon score more than Mayo.

Your post reeks of padraig joyce... "if they didn't get frees we woulda won attitude"

Not at all.

I was referring to the post above that said Roscommon kicked points from harder angles and distances.

Obviously Roscommon deserved to win the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

That wasn't a wayward ball it was a measured pass from Durcan to O'Shea. And it worked out perfectly.

• Advertisement

This is correct. The goals were absolutely huge. Sure, Roscommon didn't score a point from play until the 60th minute!! Everything went Roscommon's way yesterday but credit to them because they are definitely not man-for-man as good as Mayo but they bridged that gap with organization and intensity in their play. Then when they had some chances to shoot and with the wind at their back they took their chances.

Bar Coen's effort which was a little unlucky, Mayo absolutely butchered their numerous chances. Ryan's pass to Tommy was awful and then Tommy not only missed the point but the pass back across goal to Aiden who likely would have buried it. Jordan Flynn not having a shot from about 40 metres into an empty goal - yes it was against the wind but just kick it hard towards the goal and it likely bounces in before the defender gets back. McStay definitely should have pulled the trigger in the 2nd half too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Id have to disagree with the sentiment that the ref was ok, personally. He never got to the pitch of it and I feel it got away from him at times. Roscommon were wasting time for the entire first half. Head injuries being feigned by the half dozen, the keeper delaying every single kickout. How not a single ball was hopped in the half for time-wasting illustrates a lack of understanding of what was going on in the game. Furthermore, the second oshea hop ball free was the wrong decision. The first one was a push, the second was not a foul, while he just stands his ground in the supposed black card incident. The roscommon lad runs straight at him and hits the deck.

There was a big issue with an advantage he gave roscommon when there was only 2 points in it. He called an advantage, let smith run another 25 metres, then called it back, but let roscommon take the free from the new position, which they duly scored.

I have no issue with losing the game, it will probably be for the best truth be told, but the ref was still not at the pitch of the game as far as I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Aidan O'Shea IMO twice fouled his man on those throw up balls and player of his experience didn't or shouldn't be making those type of fouls.

On Enda Smith advantage the rules states

Foul Subsequent to Advantage Award

If, during the advantage period, a foul is committed by a player of the team which was originally fouled then the advantage is cancelled and a free kick/puck awarded for the “second” foul.

If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a free kick/puck will be awarded for the “second” foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Expected scores stats usually gives a good idea on how the match played out.

Don't think Coen has ever scored a goal before? and that was some strike from him in fairness, worth pointing out it came from Roscommon foolishly giving the ball away under no pressure at all. Mayo was behind in the game from the 19th minutes had they drew level or went ahead it might have been a different but the way Roscommon defended played it's part in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

My reading of the Roscommon advantage was that he was fouled again, that's why the free was given where it was given.

Each delay on kick out was probably just on the verge of a hop ball but not quite, cumatively very frustrating but each on their own merits probably nothing in it. Excellent by the Rossies it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

He used his physicality imo. Mayo lost the head anyway Conroy the flute putting the head down was idiotic Running into traffic they were 2 points down at 65 minutes Next thing they run into traffic concede a point and then another from kickout from 1 down to 4 down that was game over then really fair play Roscommon best thing that could happen mayo I’d fear if we won Connacht all the flags and banners that would be around the county lol

• Advertisement

You say that like there was a second foul later in the move, but there was no second foul in the play.

There was other instances also. When ruane unceremoniously kicks the ball back down the field along the ground to the roscommon corner forward from which they get a very soft free, loftus is blatantly held back the arm when he has won possession.

When mayo hold onto the ball for an age before conroy turns it over, d oconnor is fouled in beside the posts, then later in the same move, coyne is called for touching the ball on the ground, when it isnt being touched on the ground at all. Murtagh breaks down the field and scores.

Again, Im not trying to say mayo should have won, im saying that objectively speaking, the rules were not applied correctly.

There wasnt a second foul though, watch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Agree re the ref allowing Roscommon to time waste the entire game, fake injuries and basically not play football. Also Mayo were given an advantage by the referee late in the game, similar to Roscommon were. He didn’t grant Mayo a free subsequently when they ran ahead with the ball and lost it. Seemed unfair as in the exact same situation, Roscommon were awarded a free when it was deemed the advantage was lost.

Which 2nd foul? Aidan who IMO fouled twice in a short space of time when he didn't need to or advantage bit where the 2nd foul was given for a jersey tug. i'll have to watch back on the other incidents you have mentioned there. Mayo's lack of discipline in the tackle was a big surprise for me especially with Donie Buckley now back on board.

The ref was poor but I hope the focus remains on our own poor display over the next few weeks. I hope the management have a serious think about some things, none moreso than the CB position. Midfield isn't too far off needing a shake up either.

Loftus or Jason Doc at CB is absolutely bananas imo. I'm hoping they see that fairly soon.

• Advertisement

Tbh haven't heard much discussion of the ref outside of the RTE GAA podcast where they discussed it. But I'm also not in the county to hear what people there are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Loads of discussion in the county about the ref, but some of it is clutching at straws - like the comments from MayoAreMagic above. All refs will make some mistakes in matches. When I saw the match live in Castlebar, I thought he was awful. But when watching it back on tv (with the benefit of replay and rewind), he did very little wrong. A O'Shea drew out his left elbow in the second throw up. I'm sure he meant it as a means to give himself leverage to catch the ball. But it connected with the Rossies guy head/neck area. And the ref is there looking at it. I don't see anything wrong with the ref blowing it up. It doesn't matter if it was accidental. Still cant elbow the guy in the head area. I saw Coyne, O'Connor, Conroy O'Shea taking the ball into a swarm of Roscommon guys, but I didn't see any fouls by the roscommon defenders. Just headless play by Mayo. I think AIdan O'SHea was lucky not to receive a red card, never mind a black card towards the end of the game. He wasn't just standing his ground. He stepped to the right to make sure the Rossies guy wasn't going to pass, and he led with his shoulder/elbow. When I saw it as the match, I thought he was gone. And watching it back on TV didn't alter my opinion.

Roscommon may have been time wasting in the first half, but I would hope that our lads would be cute enough to do the same if the roles were reversed. But to be honest, I don't think they would. And that can be their downfall. Not mischievous enough on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

The 2nd foul was Durcan pulling Smith's jersey (God knows why, very poor discipline from Paddy) just after he already given away a free much further out. The ref had a fine game overall other than not adding enough time for all the time-wasting but that still probably wouldn't have saved Mayo.

Gaelic football when it's wet is so hard to ref anyway. It just becomes a war of attrition. My crazy opinion on this is that as much football as possible should be played in the summer when it's most likely to be dry and we should look at building municipal indoor stadiums in every province.

Aidan couldn't have been black carded for that hit as the ball wasn't in play. It was a Mayo free at the time. Don't think anyone could seriously argue it was a red card.

The correct decision was to give him a yellow card and turn the Mayo free into a hop ball, which is what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

I just couldn't believe there was one minute added on in the first half, madness.

This is part of the issue, people not knowing the rules. The ball doesn't have to be in play for it to be a black card offence

5.12 To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play.

O'Shea deliberately collided with an opponent after he had played the ball away. The OR in that sentence being important, he doesn't have to have taken him out of the next phase of play

You could know the rules and still not have a clue how they're being applied, that's the issue.

Did O'Shea deliberately collide (I thought he held his ground more than anything) or did the Roscommon player deliberately accept the contact... Players are highly skilled in accepting tackles and making the most of them these days.

There's a real issue with players trying to win frees / get the tackler carded by falling/diving into tackles. It would be great to see bans handed out for players faking head injuries (only applicable to intercounty/televised games obviously) as a start. It's too risky for a ref to ignore a head injury during play... players / management know that only too well and are making a mockery of the game.

Before anyone thinks this is sour grapes, we're just as likely to do it ourselves. There wasn't much to laugh about the last day but I did laugh at Cillian's miraculous recovery when he had won himself a free late on... the instinct was to hold the head but he bounced off the ground once he realised there was no time for that.

Ah Par, we can't complain about Joyce and then say that O'Shea didn't bury your man coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also this game is not now on at MacHale Park,switched to the Dome.

Edit,I see that's mentioned in the tweet.

Genuinely didn't think there was a whole lot in it. Would have to watch it again but I'm not putting myself through that.

played outdoors not the dome, game currently live on the TG4 youtube.

Made that call very late, still ongoing issues with MacHale Park even though they have a new pitch now? 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Anyone know why its not in the Dome, surely with the conditions game should be inside. this Sligo team look pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Sligo the better team here

Not sure how Sheridan got another year but hopefully it'll be his last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Very poor performance for the U20s tonight .heading for double scores .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We played putrid football last year against Sligo but even then, we were unlucky to lose. Tonight however, we have shown nothing whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Showed a bit of heart towards the end but well beaten. Well done to sligo.

Shite format in connacht where it's straight knockout, round robin would be much better for developing players at an important grade

Advertisement