Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2024/25 Championship, League 1, League 2

• 07-07-2022 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Stunned that Carlos Corberan has quit Huddersfield just 3 weeks before the season starts. They were second best in the play-off final, but were also denied 2 clear penalties in the game. I don't know if he's been snapped up by someone, but the timing is really bad for the Terriers. 9 players had left the club over the summer, but they had bought 5. That quintet might be wondering what they have signed up to.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Certainly a surprise to see Corberan leave. I say if he waits around in England he will get a job in Sept/Oct with one of the bigger teams in the Championship. Can't see Watford or Burnley having much patience if they start poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spoiler they didn't get promoted to League 2 but I think it will be a more interesting doc than Arsenal All or Nothing one.

Kompany off to a winning start at Burnley with a 0-1 over Huddersfield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sarr scored from a yard inside his own half in the first half but missed a pen in the second. 1-1 West Brom were quite good but could not take their chances. Watford on TV again Friday at home v Burnley, I expect to see more of their front 3 then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Watford live for all three games so far.

Poor game that one but I find WBA a tough side to watch. 1-1 again.

Coventry's pitch is in a shocking state with the Commonwealth Games. It's a good wicket to bowl on. Could be weeks before they play there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I thought WBA looked decent - for a team coached by Steve Bruce - particularly Wallace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Watford-Burnley, had to think for a second what league it was in...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nice bit of green

Sunderland V QPR highlights from ystdy worth a look.

Michael O'Neill sacked by Stoke. No real surprise, only really surprise is that they did not sack him at the end of last season. He is a decent manager but Stoke were not progressing at all.

Surprised to see that Alex Neil is willing to leave Sunderland for Stoke. Don't see much difference between both club's prospects. A lot of good managers have failed at Stoke, but I suppose you could say the same for Sunderland so he obviously backs himself to turn around Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Watford sack another manager fcuking hell people are going to stop taking that job soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Slaven Bilic just stepped up - that was quick!!

12 managers in 5 years - disgraceful behaviour.

The last guy got 10 games - he had managed Forest Green Rovers last season and got them promoted.

Currently they lie tenth, but they are an entire point out of the play-offs!

Just saw that fcuking hell you've got to give them some credit for that I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think ther never-ending firing of managers is terrible - they got promoted once with a team of loans - not a fan of ther ownership, a graveyard for managers.

17th permanent manager since 2012 I think West Ham have had 18 in their history.

After having had a 2 week International break to make any big decisions, Hull City wait until 12 hours before a game tonight, to fire their manager!

Ridiculous I can only assume they were negotiating exit terms compo etc. It'll be interesting to see who the new man will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Up the Cobblers. 2 wins after being behind. Not normal for us. Hope it continues :)

Bilic's first game in charge of Watford ends in a brilliant 4 nil away win at Stoke looks like there's method in the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bruce surely getting sacked now, serious drop for West brom

• Advertisement

Bilic becomes the first "new" Watford manager in 4 not to win their first home game (and lose me a bet, only failing leg!!) He has to go !!!!

An absolute fraud does his usual goes in wrecks a club gets sacked trousers millions and on again. Surely this is the last job he'll ever get?

Ah come on now. There are a load of people who think he would do a better job for Ireland than Stephen Kenny. Don't go and burst that wonderful bubble now !!!

No real surprise here Steve Bruce sacked by WBA

Jesus, the Tory party are almost as bad as Watford now!!

Kompany is doing some job at Burnley, never liked dyches Burnley , but after getting relegated and selling most of ther assets, many, including me , thought they'd stay a Championchip team - but Kompany has them playing great football, un Burnley like , and now top of table - I'd welcome them back now.

Kompany transformation at Burnley is incredible , 5 points clear at the top , playing lovely football , unlike the old Dyche ball. Many expected Burnley to completly fold, selling most of ther best players - so big props to the Big man,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not going too well Today - the defending of set pieces has been non-existent.

3-2 down at Sheff United, but they still have a chance with their attack.

• Advertisement

4-2 Sheff United, and another goal comes from reactions at set pieces.

It has had a playoff feel to this game.

5-2 to Sheffield United, destroying Burnley.

Burnley will feel aggrieved about a couple of the goals and the latest being offside, However Sheff Utd have had plenty more chances that they could have scored from.

Burnley have not turned up second half.

Wigan sack Leam Richardson.

In and of its own, with them losing 6 from 7, you think fair enough.

However, 16 days ago, he was given a 3-year contract. The mind simply boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Millwall into the play-off spots. It must be said they've been knocking on the door for a while now. For a few years now, go on little runs, and when the play-off spots in their grasp, slip up. But have moved from a yo-yo team to a solid mid table championship team, who look like they could push on.

If they come up, it would certainly throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but would be great entertainment. In the same division as arch nemesis West Ham in the top tier.

But the truely big grudge match would be Leeds v Millwall. Elements of English nationalism attaching themselves to both clubs, Leeds the embodiment of north England, Millwall the south, in the English geo-political divide. Two worst sets of fans, and both always occupying the top two spots as the most hated clubs. Would make great viewing

Watford on to ther 3rd manager this season - ther throughput of players and managers is quite shocking. Wilder in the hot seat now

Keep your phone handy - you might be next! They are 4 points off the playoffs and must be banking on the "new manager bounce" for the next while. You would assume Chris Wilder is going in there with his eyes wide open.

Two quotes stood out

"Arriving with a plethora of experience from both his playing days and in management, the 55-year-old is well equipped to take on the challenge of boosting the Hornets’ hopes of finishing in the Sky Bet Championship play-off places."

"Ahead of his first match in the Watford hotseat"

So they've admitted its a hot seat and their level of ambition. I do hope they realise that just getting to the playoffs isn't enough to get promoted. Can't say I'd welcome them in the top flight the way they are run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lost his first game so I guess that's straight out the door again...

Comfortable promotion for Burnley. Kompany did a good job of overhauling the squad and changing the style of play. Sheffield United nearly promoted as well, the points gap is probably too big for Luton and Middlesbrough to bridge. The battle for the last two playoff spots and the last relegation place looks exciting. Warnock pulling off the great escape, some big results the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Absolutely bananas title race in the National League (old Conference league). Both Wrexham and Notts County had already reached the 100 point mark with 4 or 5 games remaining and having both scored well over 100 goals. Game in Wrexham today was a cracker which Wrexham won 3-2 thanks in part to a phenomenal 97th Minute penalty save by 40 year old Ben Foster.

Wrexham now in the driving seat to get promoted as champions as they're three points ahead of Notts County having played a game less. Notts County, despite being 24 points ahead of third place, now look like they have to go through the playoffs. Would feels like an injustice if they both don't go up.

That match was a cracker, highly entertaining. Definitely a strong push for 2 up straight, serious totals being racked up between the teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Aren't they looking at 2 up in the next few seasons? Thought I read about it a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Yeah cos it's seemingly making more sense. Insane that 2 teams have these points totals but may not end up promoted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Started following Wrexhams results following the Disney documentary on them last year.

Given their results, FA cup run and probable promotion, season 2 will be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

One win in six for Wilder since taking charge at Watford, despite the fixtures being quite favourable (Luton game aside). You'd have to wonder if he'll make it to the end of the season at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not that long since you’d the usual types talking about him for England after his promotions with Sheff United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm certain I heard a few pundits saying he should've gotten the Arsenal job when Arteta was appointed

It was always a strange choice for Watford as Wilder would never be a long term choice for them. Wilder fell out with the owners at Sheff Utd and Boro over wanting more control over transfers, and Watford famously only want their managers to coach and have no say over transfers. Wilder obviously took the job to show he could be still be an option for a team chasing promotion but I think he will have to look at starting again at one of the relegation threatened teams (Huddersfield, QPR or Reading) or maybe League One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s definitely a lesson in how sometimes it just works and fits, and doesn’t always mean the manager is amazing. Not saying he is bad either, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Watford and long-term choice is a bit of an oxymoron!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Luton and Middlesborough are nailed on for the playoffs. Millwall not there yet and the fourth spot is anyone's.

Coventry claimed it with a win at a hapless QPR and Blackburn reclaimed it with the two meeting midweek. Blackburn have a minus GD as do Preston in 8th. Blackburn should be favourite but they are off form.

Norwich fall away again with a heavy defeat at Boro and Sunderland sneak into it again. All in it down to Watford on 59...

Huddersfield finding form and climbing out has caused mayhem at the bottom.

Great set of teams in the playoffs now, not one of the yoyo clubs so at least it'd be a team who hasn't been in pl before/for ages...although that could change.

Warnock having a lovely last stint as manager

• Advertisement
Advertisement