Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some great ties, and potential ties such as a Milan derby semi.

If bayern are to win it this year, they could end up with same route as Madrid last season, PSG, City, Chelsea.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

They had no domestic pedigree too, yet won the league last year. Napoli and Inter on paper had far better teams, as I've said many times before, the weight of history carried Milan. There's been incidents of Milan fans going to the houses of players for underperforming, the players know who they are playing for, and the success the club has had. Those heightened expectations play a part in elevating a team, and to suggest otherwise is naive.

Napoli have little european pedigree by contrast, now or in the past. Most other clubs would fear them to an extent, the unknown, whereas Milan will be quitely confident. Milan doing them last year when the pressure was applied will put doubt in Napoli, even though Napoli were the far better side. Psychology is a funny thing.

Milan generally hold the indian sign over Inter too when it matters. Milan, once in position, rarely lose when they can see the trophy, last year was an example of that. They are expected to grind it when it matters, and that expectation elevates them. They'll be looking at the draw and feel they are coming up nicely on the outside. Would you really bet on Napoli or Inter beating them when it really matters? Napoli should still beat them, but if Milan can hang in, I'd fancy them to turn Napoli if it goes to the wire.

The expectation from the Milan fans is huge, was even on their private FB pages today and they expect to win, "Europe is are DNA" etc. Everyone has wrote Milan off which is a very dangerous thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a job on any team left.

Had they got City or Bayern, their confidence would be shot, they'd be out, players nearly down tools in a sense. But getting Napoli has suddenly given them real hope, where they can see a real possibility of a final. You'll see a mammoth effort from them one way or another, and history tends to repeat itself.

When Napoli step into the cauldron of the San Siro on a European night when it really matters, we'll see what they are made off. Stronger teams have wilted in the past! Its been often said, the hardest thing to do in football is to beat Milan in the San Siro on a European night (obviously referring to a genuinely competitive Milan).

You can't just dismiss the pre-eminent force of modern European football

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

As a football purist, who wouldn't want Napoli to reach their first final?

I would too, only I couldn't resist Milan at 33/1 underdogs to win the tournament! lol That's some serious value for last season's champs.

People are sleeping on Serie A at the minute. There's a bit of a revolution going on in Italian footie right now. I seen a stat recently showing that Italian teams are clocking up more km per game than any other league in Europe. Including the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Serie A finally realized it had a problem and has started to adjust to the new reality of being way way behind the top teams money wise.

What Maldini is doing at Milan for instance is incredible. Possibly the best director in football right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I love this stage of the season - all very interesting ties.

Benfica are some force this season - won 22 out of 25 in the league and topped a group with PSG and Juve losing no games. They will beat Inter.

I'd say it will be Napoli vs Benfica and Real vs City. I'd love the winner to come from the Napoli/ Benfica side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Most neutrals will be cheering on for whoever comes out the other side. A David v Goliath story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You must have put your money down, because Napoli are now the shortest priced team to reach the final!

6/5 Napoli, 6/4 Man City, 9/4 Bayern Munich, 4/1 Benfica and Real Madrid.

In the overall market, they have been backed from 7/1 to 4/1 second favourites behind the Erling Haaland powered Man City at 5/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I got Napoli at 13/2

I think they make the final anyway. Whether City/EBH destroy them in that is a different thing altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Great price. You cover your stake on the night and you're laughing!

Great price. If they get to the final who knows. Feels like it would be Real or City from the other side. Think Bayern are just a bit off the pace this year.

Could be a chance for City to get some revenge for last season on Real. City will win it as some stage and maybe this is their best shot

Yeah makes sense for Napoli. Would not write off Benfica either but Napoli are probably the better side.

City will really be hoping Haaland stays fit. If they had him last season when they played Real the tie would have been dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

No but they might turn over Napoli. I'll be sticking 100 on it anyway

I agree, their sideways passing gets found out when it matters in the big European games, and the quality of opposition rises. Same happened to his Bayern side, neither the players at they or City grew up playing that game. For it to succeed, its ball through the eye of a needle stuff, at this level. Barca could pull it off as they grew up playing that game, and even they struggled at times.

To play that game and succeed at the highest level, it has to be 10/10 everytime. Drop a level and your attack becomes too blunt to open up watertight defences pushed back into a 11 man defence. Ajax and Barca, in theory, are the only teams who can pull it off under the right circumstances, they grow up playing that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Women's Champions League rather than mens, but the quarter finals are on at the moment - 0-0 between Lyon and Chelsea right now, 15 minutes in. Well worth a watch - love the women's champions league!

Free on youtube (at least where i am - not sure about all territories).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea V Lyon is going into extra time now, 1-1 after the two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yep it's a good watch on YouTube via DAZN network

Good match tonight too

I'd have to say yes, but jez that was some result tonight, never seen that coming.

Could it knock Napolis confidence in the CL? Time will tell.

Drawing Napoli has given them sudden belief and kick-started their season. You can already see the doubt in Napoli, Milan the club who have always beat them when it mattered.

Inter won't be far behind in terms of doubt and panic when they see Milan in the rear mirror. Another team always destined to come out the wrong side of draw with Milan when it matters most. Milan coming along nicely up the outside

Milan were 20/1 on paddy power yesterday to win it, down to 17/1 today. Either way, huge odds for an each way bet, which in all probability, will come to pass.

50 euro each way, get to the final and you'll be up 300 or so, with a free shot of another grand if they win it. Napoli are rattled, you can see it in Spalletti's reaction when they lost. Panic and doubt setting in.

Napoli have continually collapsed under pressure, easy to win 5-0 when the pressure is off. I wouldn't be surprised if they completely collapse in the San Siro cauldron, and get a hiding. Huge odds for an obvious bet I would of thought.

Milan were quietly confident before the weekend, now with the confidence sky high, they're going to go all out after Napoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I'd fancy Benfica to beat Milan myself, they'd be my bet for finalist on that side.

I watch a lot of Benfica, and said many times they are a level above Porto. But Milan have that extra gear they forgot they had at the weekend.

"Small" teams always have heroic defeats, they'll always come out the wrong side when it matters generally, even when they're the better side imo

Benfica are not a small team and I think it's that attitude that will see Inter go out to them, well, that and the fact that Inter are playing terrible football at the moment. I also think Milan will see them as an easy game if the meet them in the semi, which will only help Benfica.

I don't mean to insult Benfica, they're a huge team with a huge history. But in modern times drifted a level back. I always find, in these scenarios, the smaller teams always get done, by bad calls, bad luck or general pressure. They always seem to come out the wrong side against the "bigger names".

And I'm someone who's talked Benfica up all season, and watch alot of them in the league. They should do Inter as you say.

Inter a joke as usual, actually have great individuals, but not a team. Always destined to live in Milans shadow.

From a neutrals point if view, hope Benfica win it. From a betting point of view Milan

• Advertisement

I think Real will win it, them and Carlo both know how to do it, but I think it would be nice to see Benfica win it(I'd prefer Inter but that isn't going to happen).

Inzaghi isn't good enough to win the scudetto, if Conte was still there last season Inter wouldn't have thrown the league away like they did.

Milan were always going to win it last year, hold the indian sign over both Inter and Napoli when it matters. Even when they dropped to 3rd on the run in, said they would win it. Milan players were playing for their lives, players getting death threats from ultras to level league titles with Inter, fear a great motivator. Inter and Napoli both generally cave under pressure, Milan traditionally rise to it.

I'd like to see a Real-Milan final. Real beating teams with a workmanlike efficient approach but are limited talent wise by their usual standards, Milan players, also limited, but work harder though.

Milan have a grievance with Real over who Europe's true top dog is. Would be a great match up though, Europe's top two teams historically going head to head in the final. Have they ever met in the final?

Real have a much better team than Milan this year imo, add to that one of, if not the best manager of the modern era, and I think they would have an easy enough game against Milan. Having said that, in a one off game anything can happen so whoever gets there will have a shot.

I think if it was one off games Milan would be a good shout, but with it over the two legs I think Benfica will probably get to the final. I wouldn't write Napoli off yet though, I'm not a big fan of Spalletti but they have been playing good football this season and I wouldn't read too much into the result on Sunday yet, lets see how both teams get on Friday first.

I think Milan have the bit between their teeth now. They're a hard working team, that will be extremely hard to break down, and very unorthodox going forward, which will cause problems for teams.

We'll have to wait and see, can see Milan bouyed on by the San Siro and years of underachievement, go for this. They'll raise it and can grind it. The draw has given them hope and can now genuinely see winning it. The level of expectation from the fans is huge and will raise them.

No one has their hunger for this. Their players got death threats from fans last year, and manger made them read the history of the club, to show what they've to live up to. There's a point of pride at play with Milan, seeing Madrid take their place as Europe's top club in many people eyes. Milan are playing for history, watch them elevate in the San Siro on a huge European night, they're coming for their crown back.

And a visibly rattled Napoli are in for a big wake up call

"Coming for their crown back" ?? 😂

Madrid have 14 CL titles... that's double what Milan have!

Milan are not even close.

Oh, and I have a bet on Milan to win it btw. Not because I think they're the most likely team to win it, but because I couldn't resist 33/1 odds. I think they have a chance as dark horses.

I'm still laughing here... "their crown" !? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Finals

1st Legs

Tuesday April 11th

Manchester City FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport 1 / RTE 2

SL Benfica (POR) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 2

Wednesday April 12th

AC Milan (ITA) V SSC Napoli (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 2

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Chelsea FC (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two

• Advertisement

Madrid won circa 5 plus European cups in close succession twice, the first era when the rest were adopting to professional standards, the second could be argued the competition in Europe fell away.

Outside those two purple patches, they've won it 3 times in over 4 decades. Europe at it's most competitive, consisted of Bayern and Milan, year in and year out, for decades, being the actual teams to beat.

Those who actually follow football know the score, to be European champions for decades you had to go through Milan, for decades Madrid were hit and miss, that's the reality.

Milan are the home of modern european football, to argue otherwise either shows a lack of understanding of the sport, or blatant ignorance

You've tried this argument before and it's complete bull. Let's freframe it. Milan have been an irrelevance for most of the competitions history, having won it in some purple patches. A few years in the 60s then nothing for 25 years then then since 07 they've been nothing.

Madrid have been in a final in every decade except the 70s and they were winning other European trophies then

You can try all you want to dismiss their first 5, but you can't. They humped Milan a few times then too

These times madrid won it in lumps, it was open to Milan, or any other team, to win them too, so that argument is bull IMHO.

Maybe it's just that Madrid were clearly the best team in Europe at the time?

And to be honest, winning it in lumps, or spread out, is irrelevant to me. It's total number that counts over 60yrs or more of EC/CL.

Milan were also successful in a handful of short bursts and also had the biggest capitulation in a final too. I am a big Milan fan, and dislike real, but this lad talks utter bollox.

Line-ups for Benfica v Inter:

Benfica: Vlachodimos; Gilberto, Morato, Antonio Silva, Grimaldo; Florentino, Chiquinho; Rafa Silva, Joao Mario, Aursnes; Gonçalo Ramos

Inter: Onana; Darmian, Acerbi, Bastoni; Dumfries, Barella, Brozovic, Mkhitaryan, Dimarco; Lautaro Martinez, Dzeko

You'd think BT would be able to find pundits who at least knows something about the teams who are playing, they've said that Inter will be playing with 2 aging strikers, someone might want to tell them the Lautaro is 25. Also said earlier that Inter have more experience, with players who've been there before and even won it, I'd like to know who for Inter has won the CL?

I can see Benfica scoring a few tonight, maybe 3 or 4-1 win for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Manchester City: Ederson - Stones, Akanji, Ruben Dias, Aké - Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Gündogan - Bernardo Silva, Haaland, Grealish

Bayern München: Sommer - Pavard, Upamecano, de Ligt, Davies - Kimmich, Goretzka, Coman, Musiala, L. Sané - Gnabry

Both teams with their current top lineups probably. Mueller from the bench. Should be a cracker hopefully.

BT have the best Series A pundits in he game.

But don't send them out to talk about Italian teams in the CL.

They had a 2 minute piece with the 2 James's and that was it, you'd think they'd be in the studio instead of Joe Cole and Steve McManaman, both talking like they know both teams well but have probably watched them a few times each all season.

Is that Man City sponsor purposely hard to read so that none of us try Google it 🤣

Expecting Bayern to get a positive result to take back to Germany.

Fancy Inter to maybe do something as well. They might frustrate Benfica tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Grealish telling Haaland to 'Calm down Calm down'.. says Ronnie the Scouser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I just walked in right as City scored unfortunately. Heard Bayern had just missed a glorious chance at the other end before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That's a super strike from Rodri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bernardo Silva sticks the leg out on De Ligt with no eyes for the ball in that injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Someone in the crowd at the City v Bayern game shouting out "OOHHHH CANADAAA!" 😂 Are they lost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement