Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That Japanese Knotweed is nightmare if you get it on your property. Is that scaremongering or has it been found on the canal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know there's giant hogweed along the tolka, but very little mention on the royal canal (within the boundaries of DCC, i should point out).

there are more records of japanese knotweed along the canal; again, this is just a DCC report:

and this is from another report:

"Japanese Knotweed was recorded in surveys conducted by BEC Consultants near Pakenham Bridge in 2013, however, Natura’s 2018 ecological survey confirmed that it did not occur in this area. "

https://www.fingal.ie/sites/default/files/2022-08/RCUG%20Public%20Consultation%20Report%20July%202022.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like the greenway is getting closer and closer to Delwood/roselawn. I notice there's been a good bit of work on the Royal Canal "greenway" since I was last down near Leixlip. The surface is completed but fenced off as far as Confey. And further down toward the boat shed lots of the side vegetation and trees have been ripped out in preparation for the next phase.

I'm in favour of greenways generally. But when it comes to removing a beautiful natural trail like most of the towpath was, and destroying so much vegetation and mature trees, then on the whole I'm against it.

You can see the difference in the photos between what it used to look like in those sections, and what the newly laid tarmac and kerbstones looks like.

I say this as a someone who enjoys cycling, and appreciates a safer cycle route for kids. But something has definitely been lost in destroying the pre-existing grass/dirt/gravel trail , the trees etc.

(the Louisa-Congey section looks completed, but still fenced off in case some poor unfortunate trips over a sod of dirt and sues the council?)

From a runners/hikers perspective, a soft surface long-distance trail is now apparently gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

We wouldn't need greenways for safe cycling if drivers weren't so dangerous. Fix that and you can keep the grass/dirt/gravel trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I think u are falling for nostalgia. I was at this very section in Leixslip yesterday and beyond to Maynooth. For most of the year the pathway is unpassable for cyclists...or even squelching walkers. Change by way of the upgrade is needed to the entire Maynooth to city centre project. I too don't like old trees been ripped out unnecessarily but the entire project affords a chance to plant trees (e.g. poplars given they grow so fast and straight) and suitable hedging all the way to the Shannon. I've seen little by ways of plans to address enhancing flora and fauna for the entire project thus far..but it's early days. Waterways Ireland will probably say its not their brief. But it's easily done if there's a will. Coralling all the players e.g county councils, Waterways Ireland, Inland Fisheries, Irish Rail ..let alone nimbys...etc etc is the tricky part. Sadly that's always the way in Ireland.

Hiking boots and mountain bikes worked fine in the winter. It’s never been impassible that I know of. Part of the good/bad dichotomy of being out in nature is that it’s not as predictable as walking on a paved surface.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry but you're talking nonsense when you try and suggest that you're "out in nature" on the old towpath. It was a path along an unmaintained ditch and the current works haven't impacted it that much. Whilst there were some trees and bushes along the Confey to Louisa stretch, it was poor quality generally with many gaps and so there wasn't much by way of habitat that has been affected by the greenway.

Dunno what you mean by “poor quality”. But it was possible to trail run from Castleknock station to maynooth station. And if you’ve walked run or mountain biked it, it felt like being in the countryside. Helped by the enclosed nature of the “deep sinking” in the initial phase, but also the rural environment when you get past clonsilla.

what are the “gaps”? It’s a trail on an old tow path?

I see the advantages of a pristine paved route for my road bike. But overall it think it’s a loss, compared to what was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sounds like it was very exclusive for an elite few who had the ability to use it in winter. Surely anything making it more usable by everyone is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They still haven't completed the environmental impact assessment so they're still a year or two away from even starting the D15 sections.

Yes, it will come at a huge loss of trees and wildlife. Fingal couldn't give a f**k though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's the old dichotomy. We can't cede any developed ground to a Greenway, so have to go for undeveloped ground.

It's placing two things we should both be expanding - space for nature and safe space for people to walk/commute/etc. and placing them at odds.

I tell you, there's been a sudden upsurge in concern for nature in delwood recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It was a struggle to get a buggy down those tracks and my young kids were scared using it on their balance bikes. So I'm happy to see it paved. I won't be missing the few clumps of grass that it replaces.

'this path is OK on a mountain bike' isn't exactly a winning argument, to be fair.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You were describing (with images) the loss of habitat and amenity along the Leixlip stretch and I told you that what you had claimed was nonsense because what had been there was of poor quality - it wasn't a continuous hedge but a few bushes or trees which I believe are still there

the damage during construction would be a definite concern; workmen generally don't want to work around vegetation and will cut anything down if there's a sniff it could be in the way.

The whole thing is a man structure, the canal and the tow path.

Probably space on the other side for a dirt trail anyway.

The north bank hasn't been touched in 50 years. It's completely returned to nature.

Unfortunately, that's what makes it so attractive for the planners to drive a bulldozer through.

There's no way the dirt/gravel trail still exists as in those "before" photos and not over grown unless it was being maintained.

If your argument there should be green Oasis in a city then there a lot of other places not right on a transport link to achieve that.

• Advertisement

The conversation was dirt/gravel path vs the hard surface, its the same issue. Its all maintained.

If you're referring to the deep sinking its not viable for the majority of people. The North side isn't passable at all.

It makes no sense to block an entire amenity over a small stretch. Lobby to create a nature reserve in Kellystown. A load of space there, soon to be high rise.

I’m not sure if you are referring to the whole route, a particular section? Or the other side of the canal (the north bit in Roselawn is not in use currently and is overgrown but the trail switches sides from porterstown bridge to maynooth).

There is a trail which is very popular with walkers from Castleknock station heading west.

it’s definitely worth going down to take a look at it. Rather than speculating on what it is and isn’t.

I don’t consider the tow path trail to be a “transport link”. It definitely not the most efficient way of getting into town for most people, unless you happen to work near its route. The Phoenix park would get much more d15 cyclist commuter traffic .

There are plenty of roads already, some have cycle lanes, and some can be retrofitted with them. Greenways are usually designed for pleasure not business.

but as I’ve said already, while I think we are losing more than we are gaining - I’m sure I’ll be cycling out to maynooth and beyond when the greenway is completed.

I've been using that canal for decades.

It's an amenity AND it's a transport link. It's a canal after all. Many people use it to cycle into town. Because it's a nice alternative route. Or just for a cycle to nowhere, and just be away from traffic. If you're cycling you don't have to take the most efficient route if the purpose is to enjoy the journey.

They want to open it to more people.

There's far more pavements beside roads than cycle lanes. So the same argument applies to walkers as it does to cyclists. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I have often gone the canal from Blanch (did via deep sinking once and once only) from portersgate school entrance

I prefer the gravel there and just after the cottage into maynooth.

I can't enjoy the natural surface as find it hard to get my MTB 29 tyre into some of the grooves in the muck/gravel and then the random rocks that kick the wheels up (handy if you're a thrill seeker and want too fly over it all)

So personally I'll be happy to see more of a path, but not at the cost of nature, always said something that blends in with the surrounding area, not just slap concrete etc in and stands out like a soar thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I see the canal towpath is closing from Brinn Bridge (Drumcondra Road) to Newcomen Bridge (Amiens Street) from the 17th of April to facilitate sheet piling and ducting work. Good to see a bit of work starting on this stretch.

That stretch is already paved with concrete and tarmac from the last time i was there. are they just getting it up to "greenway" standards?

There's a new bit from Ossory Road at north strand/east wall to connect it to the final stretch leading to the liffey.

Post edited by donaghs on

I believe so. I found a typical cross-section below, but I'm not sure if it's the most up to date. I also believe they'll be constructing a new large ramp at Croke Park, but I'm not really sure what the purpose is.

The new ramp probably reduces the slope to make it more accessible to wheelchair users. I would expect that the ramp to Drumcondra Road (currently very steep) would also be redone.

I wonder if it's only for match days? The image they've shown is a gated section that I've never seen open.

• Advertisement

I never noticed that gate when passing it. I was thinking of the ramp from the other side of the bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/cyHjYnYew8eFJYAw7

I found some different drawings at: https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2023-03/D542-F39-F50-P02-combined_0.pdf (34MB file).

From page 8 it make me think that the towpath under the bridge is being closed off and that a new ramp will be provided on the eastern (right) side of the bridge. The cross section in your image makes it look like the ramp could be a raise platform to the side of that Croke Park gate (as that gate bypasses the turnstiles I bet it was only used as a post-match exit).

Advertisement