Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Apologies if this was asked already but my XDC150HD came with a battery charger, (Basically not unlike the old style phone charger) and already has a socket just under the "bonnet" where you plug it in. I store mine in the shed all year round and never had cause to charge it (until I got water in the petrol). After last service the choke positions were changed a tiny bit. Starts even easier than before now.

You can buy the original Castlegarden charger from Genuine Castelgarden Battery Charger Kit 12V 1A - 182180190/0 €75.00 | Price includes Vat and Delivery, in Stock | Order Online Ride on Batteries / Chargers Batteries (lawnmowerpartsonline.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think the mowers are supposed to come with the chargers. Always possible the supplier removed it so they could sell it separately? Anyone buying a new mower should as if it comes with the charger and if not why not? The supplied charger can be left plugged in all winter if required, but so can the cheap Lidl charger.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Left my ride-on in a shed without a charger, being there untouched for 5ish months. Started no problem at all. Just saying. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

I am wondering if ride on is over kill for what I need. Should I be looking at robots? The bulk of my lawn is at the back with a 800m2 or so in it and I could stick a robot in there I suppose and just cut the front with my walk behind mower.

I'm not gifted with a huge amount of space for dumping clippings either, so the robot might suit better in that way. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Go with a robot, there is an issue dumping grass with a ride on. A walk behind has a grass box that you can pick up easily and dump where as a 200 litre rid on grass box normally needs backing up to somewhere to tip out. On a larger garden with a lot of grass you can easily start to run out of places to dump grass and can end up with a load of piles of slime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

That's kind of true, but it ends up being the same amount of grass, whither lots of small bags or a couple of large. Its easier to spread the walk behind bag in the base of shrubs or hedging though. Going with a robot is similar to getting a mulcher, either will shred the grass into smaller pieces to leave on the ground, but I doubt the robot could cope with overgrown grass after a long break in mowing due to a long spell of bad weather or holidays, and when grass gets that long it might be preferable to bag it first cut, then return to mulching.

I'm kind of thinking that way alright. It is actually well overgrown at the minute so I need to deal with that initially but that's a once off. I have an area where I normally empty the walk behind but it fills up fast. I do like the idea of the robot effectively mulching it. What is the consensus on mulching attachments for ride on mowers (once the length of the grass is in check of course?

The problem I have with a robot is that I have a gravel driveway and no obvious path for a robot to travel between back and front, so I will end up with doing the front with my walk behind mower - or maybe lifting the robot from one zone to the other if that's an option.

Any recommendations on robots for the likes of 1000m2 areas? Are they reliable and will they last compared to the traditional options?

Thanks.

I've no experience of them other than spotting them at work. I pass a house where a largish Husqvarna does be out doing its thing, including the verges next to a busy road, I hope it doesn't have a wobbler and turn out in front of a car. Its a bit like the family dog wandering around. It must have the embedded cable limiters or even GPS for the road. I guess you would need to mow frequently in order not to overload it, and to make finer cuttings as it's not being picked up. It would definitely spend more time in action than a ride-on or a wide walk behind, but its all electric so no petrol/oil issues. Batteries probably good for 5+ years, but it would be interesting to check replacement battery cost, I'd say the ones for the larger robots are half the price of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

Fair price for a 16" self propelled. If you're in the Cork/Limerick area, similar size mower is only €249, or for the larger 46cm/18" cut it's €299, Webb brand. https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Classic-41cm-16-Self-Propelled-Petrol-Rotary-Lawnmower-1776952

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi All

Father recently had to get his carburetor overhauled on his Honday HF2417. Mower is less than a year old and the

the dealer who fixed it under warranty said it was down to the petrol. This has happened once before and

a different dealer said same thing. Father always buys his petrol from a big garage with plenty of

turnover and also uses the lawnmower regularly so petrol is never very old. Has anyone else come across this

and/or is it a feature of modern petrol?

J

Yep been there, Honda's do seem a bit precious about the quality of petrol. One local garage sells petrol that I can't use in my Honda 2417 interestingly its the garage that has for years been the cheapest in the area. Mower mechanic says its a common problem, he even told me which garage I used. Spending a few cents extra per litre fixes the problem.

To clean out the tank if you have the problem then I find a couple of litres of Aspen fuel helps clean the carburettor out.

Edit> Just to clarify its not a problem I get from using just say 5 litres of petrol its an issue that slowly builds up over a season of using "cheap" petrol.

Is single cylinder v twin cylinder an issue or is it only relevant when you are getting into bigger lawns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

A newbie to ride on lawnmowers here!!

Have a Castelgarden XDC150HD and I just bought a mulching kit for it recently. When I went to remove the original blades to replace with the mulching ones, a piece fell out onto the ground from somewhere around the spindle. For the life of me I couldn't find out where it came from - anyone know what it is? Its a semi circular shaped metal piece (see photo attached).

Also, the mulching kit came with an instruction sheet (as per the other attached photo). But I cannot understand what the bracket is for or how/where to fit it? Anyone have any ideas what this is for - or have you fitted this piece before?

I'm not familiar with the mulching kit, I assume it's a type of blanking plate on the grass chute.

The little piece of metal is the key (aka woodruff key) between the blade holder spindle and the shaft, which locks one to the other. The curved side taps into the shaft recess, then the spindle slides up on the shaft, with a slot in the spindle sliding over the key. Without the key the spindle will... spin.

Re the Woodruff key - the spare bit. Its important to stop the blade moving around the shaft. It fits in a milled out space on the blade shaft so it sticks out and the other end holds the blade boss in place.

Its a very common arrangement but this is the best diagram I could find - obviously not your mower

Ah ok, thanks for that guys. So the blade wont spin without the woodruff key then? Or it will spin but might be off kilter?

It will spin but will move around the shaft when there is some resistance. If there is a timing belt on the deck thats important as you'll hear the blades colliding soon enough. Even if the blades can never touch each other due to deck design you don't want the blade moving as it will wear the drive shaft the boss won't fit properly.

That mulch kit installation looks like something you add to prevent the deck from moving too far up or down (not sure which). So I guess there is an ideal deck height range for mulching and that clamp and bolt helps maintain that range. - Just a guess from the diagram.

Absolutely put that key back in.

• Advertisement

The shaft bolt will loosen, and the blade could become detached at speed.

Ok, thanks for that. Will get the woodruff key back into it this evening!

Yeah, that makes sense now on the deck height, ill pop that bracket on and see how it fits then! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

This one has a brings and Stratton engine the ones in the Co op has not

Let us know how you get on. Would be nice to have it online for others wtf those bits actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brianer81

Hi all

Noticed a small oil leak from my Honda lawnmower (see attached picture) . I wonder is this a big job to fix. Lawnmower about 10 years old and starting to show signs of wear and tear.

Thats your self drive gearbox. Doesn't look good. Seems to coming out of the left rear wheel drive shaft, probably a seal gone, or a cracked in the casing. These units are rarely serviceable, very expensive as a spare, but there are aliexpress copies for €100 or so. What model Honda?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brianer81

Honda hrx 537. I did notice it's not going as fast lately , don't know if that's the reason.

If that's the hydrostatic transmission, seriously expensive, €650. Part no. 20001-VE5-A00 . The fact its oil filled and running slow suggests it is the hydro box. There are transmission variants of the HRX537, fixed speed, hydrostatic and select, possible belt pulley variaror, but the shaft gear, clutch and pinion part of these tends to be a simpler grease filled unit, whole transmission maybe in the order of €260. There's probably another few characters on the model name somewhere, i.e. HRX537-HYE which might assist in identifying the transmission type, but it does look like a hydro from the oil leak.

• Advertisement

Looking closer at the photo, I can see what looks like a broken oil seal on the shaft exit from the box. There are two either side of the hydro box. It might well be running slow due to lack of oil, but seals are replaceable, part no 91204-KE8-003 , about €8, and the oil can be refilled, so the transmission may be ok.

https://lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/product/honda-gearbox-seal-91204-ke8-003

https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/diagrams/hrx537c2-hyeanh462-maga/transmission-3/

Advertisement