Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It'll be 'The curse of Noel Kelly' again -

There's a distinct and very obvious pattern unfolding here

• The Ray D'Arcy show (radio) - Noel gets his boy in there and destroys* the programme (struggles for sponsor/adverts)
    • Weekend on one with BOC - Noel gets his boy in there and destroys* the programme (struggles for sponsor/adverts)
    • Today with CB - Noel gets his girl in there and destroys* the programme (struggles for sponsor/adverts)
    • CB Live (TV) - Noel gets his girl (and all his contractors) in there and destroys* the programme (it becomes a laughing stock)
    • Drivetime - Noel gets his boy (Cormac O'Gobsh!te) in there and destroys* the programme

Endless horsesh!te programmes with Baz, Hugh Wallace, etc, etc - *imo

So having seen these NKM placements not work out too well, will RTE cop on? Not at all, they're way too incompetent and lazy - and sure lookit, it's someone else's money they're flinging around

Noel's having his fun, that's all that matters

Now (in the interest of fairness) Noel isn't just destroying RTE - he's making absolute sh!t of NewsTalk as well, with the appalling Ciara Kelly and her sidekick. I strongly suspect the truly awful Andrea-tell me what you think-Gilligan is team NK too - Nobody but Noel Kelly could get such an awful presenter a prime 2hr weekday slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I can maybe see why they got Kelly on at the start of the pandemic. Don't mind her that much. Coleman is an accomplished journalist though and an excellent presenter imo.

Right about Gilligan alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

“When Will RTE cop on” Ginneral??

😮 You know and I know,Ginneral, they won’t cop on.

They have gone into “dumb down” mode big time, whoring the text 51551 like a desperate hooker.

For holiday periods they have gone awol, close the kip down and pump out rubbish for the period.

Showing complete disrespect for the taxpayer who is being butt-reamed by them and the tossers who

actually run the ship which is rapidly losing erudite and responsible listeners .

Circling the drain out there, no hope of redemption in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lucy Kennedy says that if she were to be given the opportunity to co-host the show alongside either Baz Ashmawy or Dáithí Ó'Sé, she would have to say yes to the opportunity.

Chatting to Goss.ie, Lucy ensured that 'if The Late Late Show changed its format' to allow for a co-hosting setup, her dream team would be a combination of herself and either of the two presenters, ensuring 'professional chemistry'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭squonk

Lucy/Baz no. Lucy/Daithi no. Lucy is funny but she puts me off for some reason and a Co host doesn’t sound great anyway. I’d rather a 90 minute focused show with a single host who can carry it.

min the end we’ll get a warmed over format like the current show with similar length and an I’ll-fitted host from the canteen crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seems to be some conflict in RTE management. Some want new blood and others want a "safe pair of hands".

Looks as if the status quo remains.

https://extra.ie/2023/04/09/entertainment/rte-an-post-chief-snubbed

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Article in yesterday's Sindo.

Claire isn't sure that a programme that started in 1962 is the "right" format etc.

Sounds like Noel Kelly "Management" has been feeding a few ideas into the Sindo.

Maybe the Late Late should change format so that it will match Claire's limited abilities?

I think RTE should start by agreeing they’ve nobody in house who can helm the show. The closest they have I think is Daithi but I’ve no idea how he’d handle weightier subjects. All the competent polished RTE heavyweights have gone, either passed away or retired. No more Brian Farrell, John Bowman, Gaybo, Mike Murphy or Mary Kennedy. They came from an age where you knew your craft and also had some acumen as well. I’m not for a second saying Bowman, Farrell or Kennedy could have done Gaybo’s job but they knew their stuff so even if the format changed to accommodate then Todd still arrive at a quality product.

Now all RTE seems to have in the upper ranks are one trick ponies who aren’t particularly accomplished even in their one trick. These days RTE looks like a work experience site for a lot of them. Even the old timers seem to be just there hanging in long enough to collect tge pension.

not needs a total shake up. Really the LLS should be a wake up call for the lot of them. They should look outside and hire in the best talent tgst they can get that would suit the show. Anyone complaining should be told they’d looked at the possibility of staying in house but that the applicant didn’t hit the required standard and then add that this would be tge process going forward. Light a fire under them. It’s badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good synopsis, but I would have to disagree that a lot of them are hanging around long enough to collect the pension- they are hanging around a lot longer than that !!!

If they were serious it would be kielty

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

surely its the people ok'ing these jobs and running the programmes who are at fault, (if one doesn't think the presenters are doing a good job)

Yeah, actually what made tge LLS good under Gay was that he had hands on production control of I’m not mistaken so he had tge say on who and what went on and how it was done. Obviously he was talented enough to manage it well. Now there are just presenters like Tubbs with the back room staff calling production shots. If you haven’ta good staff things go downhill or they’re trying not to rock the boat. You really need talent in either scenarios. Joe Duffy follows the Gaybo model by all accounts and his show is absolute dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

RTÉ has had so few successes that it tends to fetishise any long-running show.

Gaybo created the LLS formula - serious debate sugarcoated with light entertainment for a deeply conservative audience. Early on, Gaybo had a near-death experience with the “Bishop’s nighty” affair.From then on, he was very careful to come across as straight-laced, even conservative, and shocked (shocked, I tell you!) by his liberal guests. His interview with Annie Murphy was a classic example. Even to this day Gaybo is criticised for appearing to support Bishop Casey but that interview was the beginning of the end for the Irish hierarchy. Similarly with P. Flynn - Gaybo just gave him enough rope.

By the time Kenny took over, there was no more need for sugarcoating. That was the year of States of Fear. But Gaybo’s successors just carried on although the LLS mix of serious debate and light entertainment became increasingly incongruous. “We’ll be back in just a minute with more on abortion but now - here’s Boyzone!”

Tubridy was totally comfortable with his liberal guests which made for dull viewing- “You’re wonderful! No, you’re the most wonderful!”

I don’t suppose the next LLS host will have a fresh idea about how RTÉ can regain its role in the national conversation. Tommie Tiernan’s “I know nuttin’” shtick won’t cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Claire Byrne is very competent no question. But she has little or no personality. Just a monotone. No charisma. No animation. Can you ever imagine her doing the toyshow? She'd have an hour's discussion about toy safety before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

I don't think it is a done deal that it's Claire Byrnes for the taking, she probably was the front runner but now I think RTE are having second thoughts and maybe Claire Byrne herself is not so sure, maybe it's too big a risk for her now.

I think daithi o shea or maybe Patrick kielty could be in there or maybe baz Lucy Kennedy combo. Even the big wigs in RTE are probably realising that it needs a lot of life injected into it and Claire Byrne et al is not that person

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I liked Tubridy's presenting but I haven't watched the show in a while due to not having interest in most of the guests that be on.

I think Tubridy may be a "blue shirt" though which is common around wealthier people in the Irish Republic. Something I noticed is that he often used the phrase "island of Ireland". He could never bring himself to simply just say that Derry was in "Ireland". This is common among blue shirts, they are afraid to offend unionists even though unionists don't be watching RTE anyway.

An example of this was in an interview with James Nesbitt on that old show he presented in 2009. He corrected himself and said that Nesbitt was from "the island of Ireland". As if Nesbitt would care anyway about being called Irish. I saw an interview where Nesbitt said he was from "Ireland" himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Maybe the Late Late should change format so that it will match Claire's limited abilities?

That's pretty much what happened with the radio show

We had items like - 'What is the ick?' and 'What's your favourite colour?' - There was also stuff about making something useful with a bog roll tube or similar fluff

Below are a few random posts copied from her radio show thread - and to these posters...TYFYS

Upcoming feature on pelvic floor exercises, with particular reference to new mothers! Not sure Sean covered this one? Cup cakes in depth in the first hour. Brutal stuff

handbags / pockets, what's in yours?

These football conversations with Claire Byrne are just painful.

There was a segment on Kate Middleton's dresses this morning - Claire said at the end that's was very interesting.

and in reply to ^...

Could you imagine Pat Kenny or O’Rourke who had this slot previously coming up with that crud?

I see - '...or maybe baz Lucy Kennedy combo' mentioned above - Sweet Jebus, that would be instant death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

He definitely isn't a "blue shirt". His ancestors were founders of Fianna Fáil. He was a member of Órga FF. His uncles were FF ministers. One of his cousins is a FF MEP and another is a Sinn Féin TD, previously a FF TD.

Post edited by Dr Karl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I imagine myself that he is apolitical but as Dr Karl says he is solidly FF in his heritage.

Also that is on both sides with his maternal grandfather Dr Sean Tubridy being a FF TD in the 1930's.

The "island of Ireland" is being used to describe the visit which is quite correct and as you trying to avoid offence.

Doesn't reach to the DUP though, I heard one of their spokesmen referring to "President Biden's visit to NI and your country" in an interview today.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

That's the trap alot of female broadcasters fall into, they start talking about issues only of interest to themselves and a minority of other females.

They also don't seem to have an awareness that they are doing this . If a male broadcaster was to do that he wouldn't last too long, Therefore people like gay Byrne et al knew that they had to appeal to a broad audience and they have to appeal to women , they can't indulge in their own special interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

so true, its like a convo she'd have when having the ladies around for brunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

I'm female and I hate the way this show has gone down the road of trying to appeal to the fairer sex.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The success of TLLS was two fold - at least at the beginning.

It was broadcast to single channel land - it was watch it - or go down the pub. That is gone now as not only are the more channels than one could watch, there is unlimited streaming. When it comes to watching rubbish, there is plenty of it to watch on streaming channels - much of it very much worse that TLLS.

The second reason was that there was no way of knowing what would be on or who the guests would be. It was a closely guarded secret, and the fear of missing something big kept the viewers captive. Now many of the shows were dire, but most had a few not to be missed gems within the long broadcast - it was live and lasted two and a half hours and would regularly over run if it was felt to be worth while. That the list of guests are secret is long gone, and many of the currently touted guests would give many potential viewers good reason to miss the show.

I think Paddy Kilty would be able to carry it because he is bright, quick witted, and can be very funny. He can tell a joke very well. He can also be very serious, while being light hearted.

Who else? Angela Scanlon maybe, but she needs training so that she stops uncontrolled laughter at her and her guests jokes.

Perhaps Mary Kennedy could do a year as a stand in - she managed the 'annual' Eurovision Song Contest from Ireland very well. If you can carry that, well, surely you could do anything.

Possibly Lotti Ryan, daughter of Gerry Ryan, might be a risky choice, but may be successful.

Whatever they choose to do, or whoever they choose, they need to restore the magic of the LLS in its heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Karppi

Whilst I agree with a lot of your post, especially about Mary Kennedy who I have had the pleasure of meeting (and she is a lovely person) I think Lottie would be an absolute disaster. I'm not trying to attack the person, she is probably a very nice person, but she simply doesn't have the talent and skill set to host the LLS

Better to let it whither on the vine, at this point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Very hard for RTE to let such a long running show die.

[BBC have a similar problem with Top Gear!]

I too think Mary Kennedy would be a great temporary stand in. I mentioned it before and she’s old school RTE and excellent at what she does. She’s retired though and maybe us enjoying herself too much these days to face going back to the working world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Honestly says alot about RTE if they handed the reigns of their flagship show to a retiree.

It has to be Paddy Kielty or Tommy Tiernan.

I reckon Kielty would be a masterstroke, as others have said, naturally funny, can think on his feet but also do serious stuff.

Advertisement