Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlanetX/ Holdsworth info requested

Options
  • 11-04-2023 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Anybody here with recent ownership experience of a Planet X/ Holdsworth bike, road specifically?

I've sold my n+1 so I have space for a new winter bike. Hoping to jump on an offer when one appears and these seem to offer value. Naturally there may be a reason for that!

They do appear to have had a dodgy rep in the past but some folk seem to feel that has changed.

Any info, good or bad, is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

have the holdsworth corsa bought on sale in December. Rival groupset. Fulcrum wheels. Happy with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Have had a number of both over the years.

No issues for me in general use and I found the old Pro Carbon to be a really similar ride to the Giant TCR, albeit with a lower level of quality/refinement.

Planet X source open mold frames from China which saves them undertaking r&d, design and engineering and means they can sell cheaper than other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

That's the one I'm specifically aiming for. Didn't pull the trigger twice late last year when I should have. Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Same with me

They used to do Shimano but stopped. Was looking at the frame set but sure wouldn’t know what to do with it

While I have you, were you caught with the import duty as well as VAT? I'm expecting it but just in case ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I've a Pro carbon with ultegra on it, currently with fulcrum quatros. It was €1,650 new about 5 years ago, i bought it 2nd hand, was only 5 months old, owner just didn't take to it. Got it for €850, sold stock wheels for €100 and bought fulcrum quatros brand new boxed on done deal for €250. Best €1k I've ever spent on cycling gear, it's been winter bike for 5 years now. Not a looker, but doesn't need to be...a winter hacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

own the same bike, any qns fire away

Post edited by vintcerf on

Thanks for that offer, appreciate it.

I do have a question for any of the owners. The website says I should order a size 54. As I'm 1.8m/6' I'd have automatically looked at the 56. Is 54 correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

I'm 174cm and got a 51 (usually 54). They have chat on the website and I found them to be very helpful.

I also used https://geometrygeeks.bike/ to compare my previous bike to the corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

They're listing size by seattube length instead of toptube. They say the 54 has an ETT 570, Reach 396, Stack 570.

For comparison, a 58 SuperSix Evo 2 (rim brake gen) would be 575, 399, 584.

• Advertisement
Advertisement