Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

If you can't run an EV for whatever, that's fine. Just post over on the ICE forums. Rubbishing on about price and range to an EV owner is the same as an EV owner jumping onto a post about diesel cars saying "diesel cars are too expensive and stopping for petrol doesn't suit my lifestyle." The thing is, EV owners don't do that. It's the anti-ev crowd who get triggered on every single YouTube video about a new EV and drive us all demented. I picked up a new EV a week or two back. It's not my first. You'd swear I bought a world war two German tank the way some of my ICE mad friends and family members went around it. Apparently buttonless cars are being made illegal and heavy EVs are going to collapse Brown Thomas car park in the next 5 years. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree that EV drivers should call out anti EV rhetoric but I really do think that EV drivers slagging off ICEs as industrial tractors that would leave you physically and mentally wrecked after driving for a few kms doesn't really contribute to a balanced discussion.

Personally I will miss my ICE when it moves on predominantly because I really like a manual gearbox which I consider far more rewarding to drive that an auto, despite the fact that many EV drivers may despair at such sentiments

That's because long range EVs are only around a few years. By 2030 you should be able to pick up a long range EV for 10k. You hardly expect a 2019 ID3 to have depreciated that much in a few years.

I think your issue is money. A new ICE wouldn't work for you either as you'd rather put your money elsewhere which is fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Non EV owners stress about EV Range more than actual EV owners do.

On a good day I get 300km from the Evo 5 🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think we need an EV with gears for you..😁

Oh wait, didn't @unkel have one recently? I think it has gone back to it's maker..😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

You can only have a debt free car as you call it because someone previously bought it as new, that goes for petrol, diesel and EV, I have bought 2 new EVs in the last year and to a man, woman and child any of my family and friends that I have offered a drive to have been blown away by the way it drives and the silence, comfort and space, all are ICE drivers. A lot of cars are currently overpriced both ICE and EV and I didn’t spend any more on an EV than I would have on an ICE, in reality probably slightly less than I would have needed to spend to get similar size and performance. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I will need to plan a journey beyond the range of the EV but for the rest of the year it will be easier than an ICE as I can fuel up at home for about €7.50 a tank compared to north of 100 in my last ICE for the same distance.

I get where you are coming from but personally I think that changing gears and the whole ICE experience is better suited to something like a Porsche 911. Most of us on here are running family cars and the EV adds a lot to the driving dynamics of a 40-60k car.

I'm a bit biased I will admit. I commute Wexford to Dublin so I gave up on manual gearboxes years ago with all that traffic. My last few ICE cars were automatics. Wofting is my preference. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sounds like a lot of people who think EVs are too expensive wouldn't be buying a new car period, nevermind an EV.

ICE cars have had huge price increases in the last 1-2 years, they aren't much cheaper than a lot of EVs and in some instances very similar price in equivalent spec. A lot of manufacturers aren't even offering basic spec cars. It's not uncommon to see someone say EVs are too expensive yet they went with secondhand diesel. Obviously a new diesel is also too expensive otherwise they'd be in one yet aren't complaining about the cost of new ICE, just EVs.

Perfectly fine if you don't want an EV, you don't think it suits your needs etc. If your budget is only €10k then range and the like doesn't really concern you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There won't be enough of them to go around in 2030. A 2020 Model 3 long range with a good battery will be hard to come by. It'll also be 10yrs old and things will be starting to fail. It'll be interesting to see how Tesla manage repairs and spare parts on aging cars. Will Joe's garage down the road be able to program them? Will Tesla still disable some of they have a crash.

People will also want to strip these cars and use the motors and battery for something else, like resto projects and conversions, even home storage, like some of the off grid folk are doing with leaf's.

The government really needs to incentivise a lot more buying of new ones. I'd be in favour of 0% bik on any EV until 2030, business will lap them up and they're going to provide half of the second hand national fleet in the future.

I’d go one further and offer 0% loans on all loans against sustainable purchases. PV, Insulation, HP and EV’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I agree on the BIK, looks like that ship has sailed though. Could easily have paid for it by jacking up the VRT on CO2 emitting cars each year until 2035.

That way it doesn't impact people that can't afford a new car like it did back in 2008 with the motor tax change or putting the extra tax all on fuel.

Another point, this thread is more like the I'm unhappy that someone else is happy with their EV thread. Was there actually someone unhappy 23 pages ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

There should be no secondary market for home storage.

Excess PV should be fed to the grid and returned to user at the same rate, no taxe etc.

This would drive people to put up more panels rather than install more batteries.

The government making a balls of it again.

All the excess PV being soaked up where it's needed - in car batteries.

I'd agree, banks owe us a bailout and Car manufacturers don't seem to be willing to help out either, where's VW's cheap rates gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I think people will look more into going off grid if they can produce their own energy. I certainly would, why be dependent on some business and government policy when there's an alternative where cost can't be influenced by geopolitical events.

Does battery storage not smooth out the peak as the sun isn't shining then for a large chunk of the year

Whatever EV suits the buyers need. In the same way an ICE suits your needs now.

In the words of Bane, let the people choose.

• Advertisement

VW Bank need to maintain profit margins. Porsche the same WRT recent price increases.

TBF a well functioning and efficient grid is essential for the country. The way to reduce the impact of geopolitical events on the cost of electricity is to continue to increase the percentage of electricity produced from renewables. Living off the grid may be feasible for a small number of people but not for the majority, nor should it be necessary.

EV's are expensive, if you only give bik breaks and loans for cheap small EV's your going to end up in 10yrs with a load of crap in the second hand market.

Just watching Nobby on cars with a 70k Skoda, stopped watching as thought why am I wasting my time, I won't be paying 70k for a skoda, 0% interest and 0% Bik in play I might have continued watching.

They didn't before EV's think I've had a quote with 1or 2% interest from them a few years ago.

Why not increase BIK on diesels or is it the case that penalties should only apply to private buyers. Just like exempting commercial vehicles from Nox levy, is it appropriate that businesses should only be incentivised to move to EVs?

3.9% a few months ago, which was still low. That’s gone now I believe.

They had 0% on the eGolf. That was a sweet deal.

Why not indeed, the whole BIK system is a bit of a mess.

Lower BIK the higher the mileage only encourages people to clock more miles. I know people who actively changed their work schedules to ensure mileage was kept over the threshold, e.g if two clients in Donegal would drive up to one then home and back to the other one a few days later rather than meet both in one trip.

At least they have finally moved (slowly and not far enough) on business mileage as was always a higher payment for a larger (more polluting) car.

These are all low hanging fruit and could be changed easily enough.

VW will revert back in time. If they were able to offer 3.9% in March then they are able to offer it all year round.

Some people need bigger cars. I get that back in the day someone's dad was shoved in the back of a Austin Metro with his 10 brothers but that wasn't really safe was it?

Opinions around cars getting too big differs among generations. If I was being cynical, I might argue that the bigger the EV, the more it rubs people up the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Totally this.....

I get cranky when people judge say hydrogen based on an assumption of a full network at some totally unknown date in future....

But then assume EV infrastructure can't be done....

When in reality every car park in the country is a potential location for suitable for the needs of that area EV infrastructure.

From 7 kW charging right up to 350 kW - often potentially in future at the same location.....

Advertisement