Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Italy has tonight declared a state of emergency due to the surge in migrants arriving. They cannot cope.

how long before something similar is required here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"The government, in office since October, has pledged to curb mass immigration but some 31,300 migrants have arrived in Italy so far in 2023, interior ministry data shows, up from around 7,900 in the same period last year"

Italy with a population of 59 million calls state of emergency 31,300 so far .

Minister Joe O Brien says Ireland (population 5 million) should prepare for another 80k this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

the only silver lining I can see from this policy is that hopefully people affected will vote FF FG & Greens into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

Did you mean family reunification ? I’m presuming you did. Again, asylum seekers granted leave to remain get no automatic family reunification. That applies to people granted protection only [i.e refugees). Leave to remain is not international protection. Once again, could people please understand the terms that they are using ? Makes it much easier to have a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In favour of who? Sinn Fein? Cos they're definitely gonna clamp down hard on immigration...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SF want more arriving, a strategic and disingenuous long term move to gain favour and votes. To get an iron grip on the country. To properly tap into the multiple diaspora, the left and their own set.

Labour here are finished, nobody is listening to them..7 Dàil seats out of the 160 are Labour TDs. 4.38%…they mean at this stage practically nothing to the Irish voter… nothing even to the left.

For all the parties we have, there are no reasonable alternatives….nobody is even willing to debate or even recognise the documented concerns of citizens, we who pay them to represent us, our interests and wellbeing... no calling for compromise ? Alternate solutions ?

can a zero policy not be instead a policy to limit the numbers ? Yes there are implications on our EU membership but look, the EU as it stands is fûcked. British gone and Italy next to say bye bye. The core is being ripped from the EU by its policies…. It’s no longer working for the EU citizens. No longer prioritizing its paymasters.

temporary protection is BS… most of us knew this from word go…nothing temporary. A bundle of lies from the get go.

Italy, Greece, Poland and France are according to the bookies to be the next countries out.

I can see the whole thing coming down like a house of cards in the next say 15 years.

get back border control… accept refugees yes… limit them yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I’d hope everybody votes for there own independent’s & who will look after there local area’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I don't know if this is real but is seems to be posted in Russian. Very odd.?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s a recruitment advert. What’s odd about trying to reach a wide audience with an advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

For all the parties we have, there are no reasonable alternatives….nobody is even willing to debate or even recognise the documented concerns of citizens, we who pay them to represent us, our interests and wellbeing... no calling for compromise ? Alternate solutions ?

People need to think about this stuff before they vote. Okay immigration was not a major issue in the last general election, and most of the parties were not talking about it a lot in the campaign. But were any of them indicating they would pursue restrictive policies if they got into government? Okay nobody could have foreseen the Ukranian exodus, but I don't see any good reason to expect the parties of government to have handled it much differently to how they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It's in fecken Russian ffs. A wider audience, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

This is the best recent post, laying out the issues unemotionaly.

MEANWHILE we have out of touch Ministers such as O'BRIEN openly stating we need to prepare to take in another 80,000 this year when we can't accommodate the existing asylum seekers, never mind have remotely enough school places or hospital beds or guards or you name it....

There should be limits. Even asylum seekers and refugees that came here often state the same thing, after they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They're advertising in different languages. They've put identical tweets in French, Portuguese and Lithuanian, as well as other languages.

Seems a good idea. One criticism that has often been made of the Gardai is that non nationals and ethnic minorities are seriously under-represented compared to other European police forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

About 1200 migrants were recently rescued from Italian waters. The story is they set sail from Libya or Tunisia. Is that credible? Could they have really unaided traversed the entire Mediterranean sea?

https://youtu.be/G0pr6RRCg1s

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Irish government wants them , other governments do not. That’s the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

We seem to be around a decade behind mainland Europe. If we were joined in the sea, we'd be more closer to the experiences of the countries on the continent.

The polls back a couple of months back has spooked the government as well as the last EU Leaders meeting where the issue was front and centre.

I'm expecting to hear more from government about their concern re availability of accommodation together with the reduction in allowances as they rowed back on the financial deal to Ukrainians.

That'll be the 'strategy' and of course hope along with any larger EU initiatives that aim to stem the flow, that we can benefit from that.

Yes, I know. Not very strategic thinking but par for the course. Expect more dialogue pushing the whole issue back to Brussels/we're all in this together, it's a European wide problem/our international obligations etc etc.

I'd like to see more regular polls on the issue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's not the best post really. Because it's still peddling nonsense. 15k were not granted asylum in 2022.

You two need to sit down with a dictionary and study it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There should be loads of supporters opening up their homes and back gardens for the homeless asylum seekers that they are encouraging to come here.

• Advertisement

The IPO decision figures are freely available. You posted false figures. Again.

No the poster highlighted that the other poster put-up false figures. Again.

The people with nothing to say are the ones lying post after post.

How's the solution for the growing number of homeless refugees/asylum seekers coming along?

Tourist season is coming fast.

Numbers are only going up.

What's the plan?

Nothing. Silence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0412/1376527-asylum-seekers/

Very basic. He (and you in previous posts) has been caught out posting false figures. And are aware at this stage they are false. But he and you don't care. You just want to repeat them no matter what and cross your fingers nobody calls you out.

Why should anyone listen to contributers constitionally incapable of being honest?

You have nothing to say because you flat-out refuse to have a good faith conversation.

You got nothing to say about solving the issue of the rapidly GROWING number of homeless asylum seekers.

It's remarkable.

Your concern is duly noted.

Oh I'm sure you're very concerned about homeless asylum seekers and homelessness generally.

Word of warning: if you attempt to post bs figures, you'll get called out. By me or someone else.

It seems you aren't interested in solving the problem, only downplaying the numbers , fingers in the ears time.

The problem is...the problem is getting worse. And so far you got absolutely nothing to say about it.

Homeless asylum seekers numbers DOUBLING.

Why is it getting worse ?

Come on tell us you have a lot to say about other things?

Why is it getting worse ?

You get an awful lot of leeway the way you fling accusations about here about posters then no proactive contribution..

Just sniping from the sidelines at myself and others.

I'm not downplaying any numbers. I'm calling out bullsh*t made-up numbers.

The only people playing with numbers is you and your sidekick. You've been caught out lying dozens of times and are snippy about it.

You have gone radio silent about the 500 homeless asylum seekers .

What's the plan?

Hotel contracts expiring all over the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I presume the same logic applies to all government services? No one should complain about poor mental health services unless they're ready to give psychological counselling themselves? No one can complain about crime levels unless they're prepared to chase and detain criminals themselves? No one can complain about hospital waiting lists unless they're prepared to glove up and start operating themselves?

Advertisement