Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

I don’t know wether I love or hate this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Jesus wasn't expecting that & still 7 episodes left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

A terrifically acted episode by all involved.

Acting was off the charts. Sarah snook was incredible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A superb episode of television on many levels, but also a surprisingly raw and vivid look at how people process grief and trauma. The episode was full of the sort of black comedy and corporate plotting you expect from this show, but the very different reactions the main characters had to the news made it so much more. The mix of desperation, confusion, denial and slow acceptance - that’s undoubtedly one of the sharpest portrayals of the impact of death I’ve seen on television. As much as it changes the game for the rest of the show - and the wheels start rapidly spinning here - that it took the time at length to show just what a sudden shock it was for everyone made it a remarkable hour of television. Although still laughed out loud at how Connor and Greg reacted to the news.

It was particularly effective for the framing and direction choices - having the actual death almost happen entirely off screen (just an out of focus shot or two of Logan), instead focusing entirely on the surrounding confusion and emotions. No big hubbub or ominous, loaded final scene as you get with many TV deaths - just the suddenness of tragedy in all its messiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So few words I can think of to properly and adequately talk about that episode. But all of them would be positive.

Just absolutely sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

An iconic legendary character

I spent a good part of the episode thinking Tom was playing some sort of prank tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Likewise on orders from the boss. It won't be the same without him.

Well it's the final season of the show anyway. So the final 7 episodes will be living up to the premise of the show; the battle for who succeeds Logan.

I knew he'd die this season, just assumed it'd be closer to the end. Didn't see it coming here, and especially with no build up or hints at ill health. They played it beautifully imo.

• Advertisement

I was kinda on the fence about whether or not there needed to be another season but this was great. It's amazing in this day and age that nothing leaked so that's a credit to the cast and crew involved.

Favourite Logan line;

"Bring him up in the dumbwaiter like a f-word-ing hamburger."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

One of the greatest tv episodes of all time.

The best portrayal of that moment of grief I’ve ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

Wow amazing how left field that. There was no clue whatsoever from the last episode it was coming.

I expected the episode to deal with Conor’s realisation that his own father choose to go to Europe instead of his own wedding.

But they turned everything upside with the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was up there.

It reminded me a lot of the Buffy episode - The Body - which, no word of a lie, is a completely shocking and devastating portrait of unexpected death and grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

wont be the same with out him the good old daddy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That was Excellent tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That one hit me hard. Reminded me of losing my own Dad and being there as it happened. Brilliant acting and 100% credible reactions. Good shout on that Buffy episode actually. Also a very tough, emotional watch at the time even if I hadn't gone through a close bereavement like that myself at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The best hour of telly I have ever watched. Stunned. Was genuinely in tears. As has been said, the acting was superb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Wow! Though for the first while I thought it was some sort of prank/trick to get them to admit something that would impact their deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really enjoyed that. Ne'er a finer hour of television you'll see. The disgusting brothers talking about Greglets Gregging for Tom was funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've been catching up and watched the three episodes yesterday. Man, near whiplash from 4.03, it came so suddenly my jaw was nearly on the floor. Tonally and masterfully done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

This episode was absolutely outstanding and unexpected, was a real gut punch.

It hit hard for me as my own dad is currently in hospital after suffering a heart attack over the weekend and my father in law passed away on Sunday night so emotions were already high going into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

"Don't make a word out of me Tom. I'm a guy"

What was Tom's motivation for sending Greg to the office and sticking to Cyd? Was he angling to be in pole position post-mortem? Why delete incriminating material from the computer, and what did it contain? And did they deliberately leak news of the passing?

Mathew Macfadyen is by far the best actor in the series. Hapless, gormless, banal, yet tender and with feeling, Tom's is nearly the most rounded character of the lot.

NB Didn't anyone think to inform Marcia? Has she fallen into a black hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

What an episode of TV, outstanding. Amazing there were no leaks or hints, and as a result it was really shocking. As others have said, it was such a great portrayal of grief and raw emotion, and the various ways people react to this sort of news. I was choked up at a couple of moments as it hit a bit too close to home. Fantastic acting by everyone involved. Roman reflecting on his last words to him on the phone and if Logan actually heard the message, Kendall's conflict in still not quite able to fully forgive even when in such grief, Shiv not being able to say some last words when he might have still been alive, Connor's first reaction being that Logan never really liked him.

So much to unpack from it and how the future of the company will pan out in the aftermath - this could an all time great season of TV given they have 7 episodes now to work in this post-Logan world which is a fascinating prospect.

One little detail I saw this morning from someone else, was that Tom actually rang Shiv first but she ignored the call. If she'd answered, then she'd have been able to talk to Logan while he was still alive. I wonder will they touch on that in the next episode and how she wrestles with that decision. I know that's a very real thing that happens to many people and it eats them up inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It’s like The death of Stalin with Logan gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I laughed at Kerry's reaction. All her calm collectiveness gone as the realization comes over her that she was essentially a non player in all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Chuckles the Clown lol

That was terrific, and so well set up in the previous episode with her audition tape. Part of her reaction was clearly down to shock, but also shows she has a kind of lack of empathy in general and didn't really care about Logan.

Whereas Colin standing out on the tarmac was kind of devastating for the brief few seconds he was shown. He seemed like he was kind of just there for a paycheck when he was eating with Logan in the last episode, as he was very stoic and unemotional, and just seemed to be answering in the affirmative to whatever Logan said. But he has been a loyal servant to Logan for so long and spent so much time with him, and wasn't there when Logan died. He truly looked emotional watching them unload the plane. It was a wonderful juxtaposition between Kerry & Colin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

On nobody thinking to inform Marcia: I found myself just shouting 'Connor doesn't know!' at regular intervals for what felt like forever!

Man's going to have a full-on breakdown next time he sees looney cake.

I think Conor deciding to go ahead with the wedding after Logan died and with none of his family (or half the other guests) there, was actually a big moment for Conor, and probably quite cathartic. He mostly wanted the wedding there for his Presidential campaign, he wanted his family (and father) there etc, but in the end he seemed to be able to let go of that and just go ahead with marrying the woman he loves. Especially huge considering his father was never going to show up at the wedding anyway and had already chosen business over the wedding, Logan's death seemed to have been a bit of a release for Conor.

Another genius decision in the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That was just outstanding, was gut wrenching watching the confusion that grief can cause in those initial first few minutes. Felt a bit sick to be honest. In all my years I don't think I can remember being as captivated by any tv show or movie.

I'm glad it's ending after 4 seasons, there's no way that kind of quality can be kept up and it would be a shame for it to turn out like Yellowstone. It should and will go down as one of the best shows ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Agree with what everyone has said. Brilliant episode. So good, I watched it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Amazing episode. Top three things were firstly, up until Shiv formally announced Logan was dead, I thought it was a ploy for Logan to hear what they really thought of him on his deathbed.

Second and third things were the very brief but moving reactions of Colin and Kendall on the tarmac at the end. I felt almost more sorry for Colin than anyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Cracking episode last night. I can't help but feel that cousin Greg is going to end up on top. He knows where alot of bodies are buried and has managed to ingratiate himself into the inner circle while seemingly being a bit of a tit and as such, completely overlooked by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I hope not, there'd be a Game of Thrones ending vibe off that. Greg the Broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

Wow... No other words can do justice to what I just watched

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So Tom was sad because he lost his protector, and the little moments with Siobhán at the end would seem like an act of desperation to perhaps get her back as a sort of float to save him.

Gerri seems to not have been fired after all, surely there will be some paperwork already in the works to prove he fired her, which only Roman can testify to.

Kendall appears to have weakened somewhat, leaned heavily on Siobhán for breaking the news and the public announcement. Plus I think that it will haunt him that he said he couldn’t forgive Logan on the phone, on top of his weak mental state whenever given some emotional trauma to deal with.

Roman went to check on the body and seemed a bit stronger than the other two after accepting the circumstances.

I doubt Kerry will be in any more episodes.

One thing that stuck in my mind was that Siobhán said she wouldn’t answer any questions and then couldn’t help herself state that the family will be involved, while simultaneously the share price was shown to plummet. I wonder if that comment could cost them when they meet with the board, like did she cross a line there, perhaps she should have kept her mouth shut as the board may see that as misinformation resulting in massive losses.

I’m assuming their deal with Pierce is now not possible, as the deal with GoJo surely will collapse with the stock market valuation of Waystar crashing. I had thought the Pierce deal had to fail at some point to save them from bankruptcy, but now I think they’ll possibly destroy Waystar entirely instead on their way to bankruptcy.

The big question is what will his will say?

I reckon he may have disinherited his children, but to whom will he have left his shares in his will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My condolences on your loss and I wish your dad well, a speedy full recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Amazing episode of television - I don't recall a death being handled like that before...it was raw, emotional and visceral at times....and then they started thinking about money again :-)

The death was foreshadowed in the previous episode in the diner scene with Logan and Colin I guess but it was still a shock, haven't been that stunned by a TV death since Bodie got killed in The Wire.

Will rewatch tonight I think - so many standout moments and performances.

The scene with Tom walking off the plane (starting into space and contemplating his probably bleak future) that cuts briefly to Colin standing beside Logans car - so much conveyed in that one shot.

And something that made me laugh out loud in the first 15 mins - when they were in the plane and uncertain what to do next re: Matsson, someone suggested telling him that Logan would be delayed, and Karl deadpans (with a treble whiskey in hand) - "Yeah....he's going to be heavily delayed"🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even with the same cast you wouldn't get the same powerful emotional impact doing this in a movie... only in a long form TV series where the actor has been the central focus of the series.

And then to keep it under wraps.

Kudos to all involved, I hope they rake in further deserved recognition comes Awards season.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

In fairness to Tom, yeah in the aftermath he seemed to be doing whatever he needs to protect himself and his position as much as possible, as Logan was dying Tom did his best to make sure they all got a chance to say goodbye to Logan and to keep them informed etc.

But even when on the phone to Greg, when Greg asks him if he's okay, Tom starts to break with the emotion. He was definitely sad that Logan died on a personal level, even outside of "losing his protector" or trying to think of his next move. He craved Logan's support and respect for so long, and kind of finally had it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aside from everything else, I'm glad they've found a way to give Connor a great final season. The way they've written him this season is fascinating. Obviously he remains an afterthought / punchline for his family, brilliantly captured in this episode where they all just sort of forget to tell him about Logan for ages. And in his own way he is very much as narcissistic and sociopathic as the rest of them - that bit where he tries to convince Willa to turn their wedding into a political stunt is one of the most awkward scenes of the season. But at the same time he nearly comes across as the most well-adjusted of this fundamentally broken family, and yes the moment where he pushes ahead with the wedding feels like a moment of liberation and happiness when everyone is else is caught up in grief and the threat of the imminent power struggle. And yeah, his relationship with Willa - bizarre and utterly cringey though it often is - is maybe the only genuinely affectionate and honest one in this entire **** disaster zone.

Some great work from Alan Ruck - a very funny performance (like when he's trying to figure out whether to blow $100 million to maintain his percent) as well as one with surprising substance despite comparatively limited screen time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

The most amazing thing about this episode was that neither the viewers or logan's family knew if he was dead, it was as if we were watching it in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

"fcuking pedestrians" what a phrase.

good show, well written. Actors all v good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'll have to watch again, what a momentous episode. Similar thoughts to all of the above, convinced it was a plot for ages. I did notice Shiv skipping that call from Tom which she will ultimately regret. I have a feeling Roman might have a breakdown over this, he's shrugged everything off with sarcasm and one liners but this is a different kettle of fish. The cold shoulder from Gerri outstanding.

Ironic to me it seemed like the most upset seemed to be his security detail standing lonesome on the runway and not his kids.

BTW - LA Times obituary here, very well done.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2023-04-09/logan-roy-succession-dead-obituary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not sure if it's ever been fully confirmed. Roman is the youngest son, but I don't think they've ever said if Shiv is older or younger than Roman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

According to a number of sources, Shiv is the youngest.

Advertisement