Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2022-2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Stainalert

You're being totally disingenuous here if you think Lansdowne deserve the bulk of the credit (or really any credit) for Tector, Lasisi or Prendergast making the Leinster Academy.

I have never made and would never make any such claim. The clubs do deserve some credit (which you are not willing to give). You are ignoring the facts (again). Sam Prendergast has played far more than 10 games for Lansdowne but don't let the facts get in the way of your argument. Lasisi didn't move to Dublin until his 2nd year. He got awarded his academy contract after he played for the Leinster senior team due to a huge injury list of props. Leinster want him to play tighthead - He was originally a loosehead. His club assisted with this in giving him game time as a tighthead. If you think a player can switch from Loose head to tight head without getting training and experience at club level then you really are deluded.

You are saying the clubs play no part in the development of players which is completely untrue. Clubs are not claiming that these players are developed by clubs. They are simply saying they assist in their development but clearly you don't think that is the case.

In relation to the universities do you not believe that the scholarships they provide (which allow them to focus on their rugby) help develop them or does that count in your eyes ?

PS There is no such thing as the sub academy any longer.

Just because they don't call it the sub-academy any longer doesn't mean it doesn't still exist, and you know exactly what I'm talking about. If anything, the scope of it has probably expanded in recent years.

We're not going to agree here, and are just going around in circles. I'm not saying the clubs deserve no credit for the development of these players, but it's a relatively modest amount by comparison to the schools or underage clubs where they play the bulk of their underage rugby, and then the role of the representative teams etc.

This started off with your claims about (i) Leinster "deliberately favoured UCD", (ii) talking about the "generosity" of the clubs in giving gametime to these very talented young players (when in most cases the clubs are clamouring and competing for these players), and even (iii) claiming scenarios where Leinster should have to financially compensate the clubs when Leinster decide to call up the players that they already pay to play for Leinster, so don't go calling me delusional here.

Any chance you could give any factual evidence to back up your arguments.

And please don't twist my words

(iii) claiming scenarios where Leinster should have to financially compensate the clubs when Leinster decide to call up the players that they already pay to play for Leinster, so don't go calling me delusional here.

I am talking about players Leinster don't pay which is clearly stated below in my original statement:

"Leinster are a professional franchise and any player that plays with them should be contracted to them. If they select from beyond their paid ranks they should at least pre-consult with the clubs concerned and explain the rational behind the selections. This simple protocol is ignored. It's not a lot to ask. In most other professional sports there would also be some sort of financial remuneration."

Factual evidence to back up what?

It's my opinion that the AIL clubs to whom Leinster Academy players are registered, for the most part, play a relatively small part in the development of those players. I'm not saying no part whatsoever, and of course it's valuable to get gametime for these guys (especially in positions like front rowers), but if you were assessing and handing out credit for the development of these players (like the current academy crop or the coming intake) then to me c. 80% plus of that credit belongs to the school and the Leinster Development officers who work extensively with the players for in some cases c. 6 years plus.

You may not like the current situation, and I agree that it wasn't ideal timing having that game last Friday, but it's just the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It would be interesting to see the breakdown for all provinces.

For example I believe Rory Telfer (Ulster Academy winger) plays in 2A for Queens. I'm not sure how many others do, but this is something where I think the other provinces struggle a bit, their up and coming players aren't getting enough exposure to 1A rugby which maybe increases the gap to provincial A rugby never mind the URC.

This is an even bigger issue for Connacht who don't have a team in 1A and only one team in 1B.

It may not be as big an issue in Munster, although losing Garryowen and maybe even Shannon from 1A would and will be a hammer blow for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

In Ulster -

Hinch - Saunderson, Crothers, McKee

Trinity - Sheridan

Armagh - McCormick

Banbridge - Humphreys, Carson

Queens - Wilson, Hopes, McLaughlin, Telfer

Ballymena - McNabney

A good few of those lads are Year 3 and will move on to development next season or depart. I would expect all academy players to be playing 1A or 1B next season.

Queens will get into 1B next season but due to a new partnership between them and Ulster the majority of academy entrants and National Talent Squad school leavers will go to queens. After two/three seasons at Queens they are supposed to move to another club. Queens will have a limit placed on non student players. Be interesting how this works out as obviously some of those players may have their development accelerated further by playing 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Arguably the four with most potential (well not including Sheridan who may not play much more AIL anyway)...Wilson, Hopes, McNabney and Telfer have all been playing 2A this season. Compare that to Leinster's best prospects!

That new partnership between Ulster Academy and Queens will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Young Munsters (and ex Irish club coach) Gearoid Prendergast has apparently been offered the Academy Manager role for next year following Ian Costello getting promoted to head of Rugby operations

Irish Rugby | Permutations: Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division Round 18

See link above - great synopsis of the weekend of club rugby ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah hopefully a great weekend of rugby ahead.

Will be at a few munster age grade finals in Thomond Park before getting in an AIL game not sure if i go to Munsters Con or Nenagh Bohs

• Advertisement

Results

So Garryowen relegated to 1B, Malone relegated to 2A, Dolphin to 2B, Enniscorthy to 2C, Sundays Well to junior

Armagh promoted to 1A, Queens to 1B, Greystones to 2A, Instonians to 2B

Clogher Valley won round robin final beating Richmond 31-17

Playoffs

1A Semi finals

Clontarf v Young Munster

Terenure v Cork Con

1A/1B

Shannon v Old Wesley

Old Belvedere v Highfield

1B/2A

Banbridge v Barnhall

Blackrock v Nenagh

2A/2B

UL Bohs v Sligo

Corinthians v Dungannon

2B/2C

Galwegians v Bruff

Skerries v Tullamore

2C/Round robin

Midleton v Richmond

Cookies bringing huge crowd up for semi as to be expected.

Wont catch a game as working...

Saturday April 29th 2023

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 2C Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final:

Midleton v Richmond, Towns Park, 2:30pm

Saturday May 6th 2023

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 1A Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final:

Shannon v Highfield, Thomond Park, 2:30pm

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 1B Promotion Play-Off Final:

Blackrock College v MU Barnhall, Stradbrook, 2:30pm

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 2A Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final:

UL Bohemian v Dungannon, Annacotty, 2:30pm

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division 2B Promotion Play-Off Final:

Skerries v Bruff, Holmpatrick, 2:30pm

Sunday May 7th 2023

Energia All-Ireland League Men’s Division Final:

Clontarf v Terenure College, Aviva Stadium, 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Sad to see Wegians going down to 2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭luke9311

eddie o'sullivan stepping down from his role in buccaneers

Real shame. hopefully can rebuild and get back up divisions soon

Midleton beat Richmond 29-17 to stay in 2C so Richmond back to junior leagues again next year

final live on TG4 next weekend.

hopefully will be watching from aviva on Sunday

Saturdays games

Division 1A Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final:

Shannon v Highfield, Thomond Park, 2:30pm

Division 1B Promotion Play-Off Final:

Blackrock College v MU Barnhall, Stradbrook, 2:30pm

Division 2A Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final:

UL Bohemian v Dungannon, Annacotty, 2:30pm

Division 2B Promotion Play-Off Final:

Skerries v Bruff, Holmpatrick, 2:30pm

Sunday

All-Ireland League Men’s Division 1 Final:

Clontarf v Terenure College, Aviva Stadium, 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Really looking forward to Sunday - we picked up a few knocks v Cork Con, and worried Tarf got their shock v Young Munster.

But great to be back there there again.

Would love to see Highfield go up, I know they were one of the sides well clear few years back before Covid blew out the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Predictions

Shannon v Highfield - Shannon

Blackrock v Barnhall - Blackrock

UL Bohs v Dungannon - Dungannon

Skerries v Bruff - Skerries

Clontarf v Terenure - Terenure :)

Yeah would be great to see Highfield go up to top flight. Have really built up good age grade structure and then have got few good signings as well.

I'll differ with you on a few. Highfield, Barnhall, Dungannon, Skerries and Clontarf..

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭luke9311

any word on jordan or brewer for the final injury wise? i know jordan was taken off mid game and brewer correct me if im wrong only returning from injury? unsure if stevie oneill is only back as well is he?

Personally cant wait for the game myself should be a cracker would have to favour tarf slightly not much tho score wise. Just think tarfs experience having won it before made a few finals over the years and the size of there pack with likes of tony ryan etc etc would stand to them. Then again nure pack wouldnt be far off them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Two seriously good teamsheets being put out for Sunday.

Should be a better!

Best of luck to Clontarf & Terenure. Definitely the 2 best teams in the league this season. Should be a cracking game. Impossible to predict.

Any results.

At work. Heard rock won so are up to 1B but any others

Shannon stay in 1A

Blackrock up to 1B

Bohs stay in 2A

Skerries up to 2B

Standard farce at the Aviva of only one gate open going into the ground and a couple of thousand people pushing to try and get through it.

Same thing happened twelve months ago. Amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

TG4 player wrecking my head. Every few minutes it shows me what happened 3 mins ago. Then skips to live. Over and over.

Advertisement