Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 3) Arklow (15th Apr @11:40am)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not sure how much more will jump on this so I’ll tighten up the sheet towards the end of the week. In the meantime if you guys who are out a bit later want to move yourselves up the sheet work away please to save me the hassle 😜

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How's the course at the moment? Looks really nice from some of the video's i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Hi All. A late update from Arklow is that course works being carried out on holes 16 and 17 has not fully bedded in as was expected. The course will be reduced to 16 holes. So from the 15th green make your way to a temporary teebox on the 18th hole (I've marked this with a yellow arrow above).

Accordingly the round greenfee has been reduced. Anyone who booked will receive a €15 refund to their account. Also for anyone not yet booked, the booking fee is now reduced to €35 total.

The forecast currently is for a calm day if not slightly overcast. Historically I've tended not be able to keep a good score going for the full 18, so this update can hopefully play into my hands allowing me to break the dreaded captain's curse once and for all 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Good.Going by the video those 2 holes were the toughest.

Will we be playing 8/9ths of hc or leave it at full hc?

• Advertisement

8/9ths handicap. We have our resident HC guy on the case.

Apols for this late stage problem. I know I'll still see everyone in good form on the day (obviously excepting whichever of tiger or benny losses their side hustle)

Yes I’ll do handicap based on 8/9ths

edit

so I assume it will be the full card you will be using as opposed to a 16 hole card with indexes 1-16

im not sure what index 16 and 17 are

you will need to reindex the holes we are actually playing to 1-16 if readjusting the handicaps.

it makes sense to readjust though rather than leaving them alone.

eg someone off 2 and if 16 and 17 are index 1 and 2, they would get no shots without readjusting. Equally someone off 18 should only have 1 shot per hole but if index 1&2 were holes 14&15 they would get 2 shots on these holes without readjusting

Just got card so see attached for updated indexes to play off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a shame, arguably the two best holes out of action

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Quoted by many a man in the past.

Looking forward to this, although as a newb, I'm expecting my score to near double some of the better ones on the day :D

• Advertisement

Stableford points double would be a lot.

I trust you mean strokes.

Be very worried if you dont😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep, sorry, strokes. I've yet to really figure out stableford! (but I'm only looking to get my handicap over the coming couple of weeks).

Ah gotcha.Welcome aboard.

Stableford basically 2 points a hole regardless of your handicap gives you 36 points which is playing to your handicap.

So 18 handicap gets a shot on each of the 18 holes.Par 3 becomes par 4..par 4 becomes par 5 etc.

So basically 18 bogies for 18 handicap at 2 points a bogey gives you 36 points.

A par adds a point and a double bogey subtracts a point on a hole..so par becomes 3 points and double bogey becomes 1 point.

Your playing handicap determines where you have no shot or an extra shot on a hole based on the index of the hole.

So 17 playing handicap has no shot on index 18 and a par is then only worth 2 points.

Whereas a 19 playing handicap gives you an extra shot on the index 1 as there are only 18 holes.A par then becomes worth 4 points.

I am sure your playing partners will be happy to help you out on the day.

I have probably wrecked your head but hey..I wreck everyones head.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Hi Lads, Arklow member here. I'm down to play the weekly competition that Saturday morning. Had seen the society was down to play the course when I was on the Tee sheet earlier.

I was going to notify you of the 16th and 17th, a bit of a planning disaster from the committee to be honest.

Anyway, the course as always is in great nick. Enjoy.

Regarding the score cards, they have created new 15 hole competetion score cards. Ask Pa about them. It helps with the handicaps. The course will be set up for the D Course. I'll probably see some of you in the clubhouse before you tee off. I'm out about 8.10 or so.

Thanks Lefty. Hope you do come over and say hi and divulge any course tips.

Ha, Just keep it straight. The course is not very forgiving when you go left or right.

The greens are also in great shape.

But are we not playing 16 holes so would be no good really, unless you meant 16 and not 15?

Morning folks. Turns out the missus needs the car this Saturday. Will anyone be coming via the N7, and if so could they take a quick pitstop at citywest and pick me up en route?

They have the 18th hole changed from a Par 5 to a very short Par 4 (I nearly drove the other day). Assuming the same will be applicable to you guys.

• Advertisement

The 18th could possilby be played as the Index 16.

I'm sure Pa in the pro-shop will have something ready for you on the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be coming from Kildare, and can swing by to pick you up if needed. Its only a few extra minutes if i go N7, M50, M11 compared to cross country.

Not the best to get info so late when you are trying to plan from a different continent 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

@spacecoyote If you need a backup just in case I can do the same. Leaving around 9:45ish so just shout if any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Unfortunately have to pull out of this one! Suppose there's a first time for everything 🤷‍♂️ 😂 Raging though as this was one of the courses I was most looking forward too Plus picking up a new putter Friday and probably wont get any golf in this weekend! Typical..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Couldn't commit to this or Rosslare event - Most of the comps so far being Leinster/East of the country hurts me to an extent with the full day of commitment. Hoping to play more to make sure I get enough cards in for my score

Thanks guys, Pakman drawn the short straw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Looks like it will be nice an dry Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

We did a re-shuffle of the tee times, so as not to have any empty lines. An email has gone to everyone with your new times. Hopefully there was no real inconvenience to anyone.

• Advertisement

Tee times have been rejigged to remove any gaps. Please check clubnet for your new teetime.

As before, in the interests of pace of play, the two main principles are:

1) DO NOT be afraid to suggest your group picks up the pace when it needs to be said.

2) DO NOT be insulted when a playing partner in your group suggests the pace needs to be picked up.

Pace of play in 2023 has been good however word is that this is a tight course. 3mins searching per ball is the cut-off point. If you're struggling to keep pace consider calling groups behind through.

Looking forward to see everyone in Arklow.

Advertisement