Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

But everyone is not the same. If someone in another company gets a pay rise, there could be all sorts of variables behind it. Is his/her company profitable? Is he/she providing a service that is in demand? Is he or she underpaid by industry standards and thus could get a higher salary elsewhere. My brother recently got a 10% rise, so he told me. He, however, works in a different industry and is a far, far more talented and skilled individual than I am. Thus, it's apples and oranges, once again.

In the case of the civil service, many (though certainly not all) people in there are working in jobs that in reality are not required. There is massive bloat in the civil service, and many of these jobs simply aren't needed. In such a situation, the individual working in that job has no right to expect a pay rise. They should simply be happy that they have a job at all.

Please don't think that I'm saying this out of acrimony. I'm sure many civil servants are fine people, but there's no free lunch at the end of the day. If they get a large salary increase across the board, taxpayers will have to pay for it, and it would only worsen inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

But thats the nature of the beast. If a workforce is on x relative to Y then when Y goes up X is going to go up too. Otherwise its a salary cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

They are getting a rise this month. They got a backdated rise last year too . They will be getting a further rise again later in the year on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

One of the implications of the visit of the troika was an end to mom and pop landlords and a move to a more European model of long term rentals with security of tenure etc, we chose the Irish version which was big US capital incentivised by tax breaks and rock bottom prices with the end result of monopoly and scarcity . In exchange we have got massively increased tech/pharma investment and a rapidly increasing tax take in a sort of quid pro quo , you cant have your bread and eat it .

Honestly, I think that the entire civil service needs to be audited (independently) and massively reduced in size. With the money saved, the staff who are needed could be given a pay rise. However, that's not happening, and we all know that.

Bless them ....

• Advertisement

So we have moved on from small landlords being responsible for the accommodation crisis to it being public service workers fault now?

In our quest on boards to find out who's responsible for the accommodation crisis might I suggest we target pensioners next. Look at them all sitting at home slippers on in front of the fire watching countdown. Not working, the state throwing money at them and the mortgage paid. Am I doing this right?

No one is blaming civil servants. We're discussing economic and fiscal policy and decisions that can and have contributed to rising costs.

Pensioners are actually blamed. It comes up every now and again. People will blame anybody but themselves.

The best thing we can do for housing supply, both rental and sale, in Ireland would be to ban turkeys from voting.

There's plenty of blame to go around, and there's no single cause of the crisis; there never is.

My own two cents is that this is decades in the making, and the root cause is neo-liberalism/globalism that sees us chasing infinite GDP growth. All countries in the West are suffering broadly similar problems to Ireland. It's not just housing; every social system is in decline, and everything is becoming more and more expensive.

Correct putting more money into the system will increase costs across the board including accommodation.

As a result are we saying that nobody in Ireland should get pay increases in order to curb price increases? Or are we saying that only civil servants shouldn't get pay rises as the money comes from the exchequer and will cost the tax payer?

If that's the case should it not be said that the government should curb spending on welfare, social housing, education and health care too to save the tax payer money. Increase taxes, interest rates and eliminate minimum wage to starve the economy of money in order to drive prices down?

I'm not a civil servant but I think the majority of the jealousy aimed towards civil servants comes from those who chased the yankey dollar and gave up their rights to join a union to collectively bargain. When they see civil servants unite to get pay increases and they fail to achieve the same on the back of their annual performance review they see red. Its not like the civil service is a closed system anybody can apply once they are suitably qualified and experienced.

Dragging civil servants into a discussion about the Irish property market was very strange and I don't think it warrants any more discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Single civil servants aren't the problem in the housing crisis, but if two of them get together as a couple they have significant buying power and push up prices and that becomes a problem. We might need a law, no marriage amongst civil servants, or else come up with a new legal caste where civil servants can't outbid non civil servants on property as their wages are paid by taxes. The problem obviously is that they are all so detestable that no-one outside the public sector will consider a mixed private sector/public sector relationship, so if we ban intra sector marriage it might be considered unfair by some. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

We spend over 10 billion a year on education

To train a teacher, nurse guard requires 20 years of education

Approx 60k sit the leaving every year

10billion/60k students = 165,000 per year * 20 years = 3,300,000 to train someone to post grad level. Every graduate we lose because of unaffordable accomodation is throwing away over 3,000,000 of spending.

To allow a situation occur where such a person needs to emigrate to source affordable accomodation is criminal in my opinion

Figures from 2020

If I've made a mistake in my calculations, please, somebody correct me

I couldnt believe the amount of teachers that left my kids school last summer. And then I finds out that even more are leaving this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The issue here is public sector wages are going up at near inflation levels yet when their wage increases were way more than inflation for 6/7 years before 2020/21 they had no pay cuts. The questions is why should they be getting a pay rise in the first place over and above agreed increments as I said its not like we are going to see any greater efficiencies, they are already paid 20% more than those in the private sector and of course it all has a knock on to their pensions that will have to be paid and this at a time where the government are floating upping PRSI to cover pensions/ All private sector companies have not got the bank of TAX PAYER and over 200billion in borrowing to give a pay rise on the contrary businesses are hitting the wall at a higher frequency from 2/3 years ago as the current costs to do business in this country cannot be carried by a very high % of businesses and the bank over draught has gotten a hell of a lot more expensive over the last 12 months and will be going higher and higher for the duration of 2023 so 2023/24 will see a lot of companies hitting the wall.

The wages of tech workers has come up many times on this board, and rightly so. The huge salaries that are available in the IT industry here have certainly contributed to housing price inflation here.

The salient point here is that when a large number of people are in receipt of a large salary, there are knock-on effects in the economy as a whole.

If 60k leave every year then there are approximately 840k in school system primary and secondary (14 years) and 120k ish in university.

Lets call it a million, 10 billion a year for 1 million in full time education is 10k a year each year, so 200k in education for 20 years.

First we are going to cut the wages of the civil servants, and then the IT workers. Is that what you want :)

Is any of the information you posted about the public sector factual or just an opinion?

There have been lots of layoffs in the IT sector and if the company does not make a profit then you can bet that the employees of that company will not be getting a payrise the same cannot be said for civil servants

Its all there in the figures for pay and inflation over the last decade.

• Advertisement

Why did you have to quote fliball123 :)

I have him on ignore. Why? Because all of his posts are going off on one about the public sector. They just werent making any sense so I put him on ignore. Even though all I saw was a blank post I knew full well it was some rant about the public sector. which i now see when you quoted him. I can do without seeing them honestly :)

Just to be clear though, I am private sector myself but there is some serious thinly veiled jealousy out there for certain sectors. That kind of stuff is best just avoided altogether. Once you start engaging with them there will be a flood of more rants and then what was an interesting conversation is ruined.

You put me on ignore because you went down the path of trying to ridicule me and when I gave you links to all the data that backed up everything that I had stated you took your ball and went home, not that you will read this maybe someone can quote me on this please so DBTG can see what I said :)

It's not surprising they got pay increases for 6 or 7 years after the troika were in to claw back some of the massive austerity pay cuts some of which were temporary, also a huge new tax/pension deduction on salary was introduced to pay for the same pension they were already getting which is another pay cut relative to pre austerity.

You can't compare private and public sector jobs like they are the same, you need to compare by role and qualifications required etc.

20% higher means nothing, you may as well say HSE doctors get paid 20% more than barristas. Does that 20% include bonuses, tips, cash jobs, tax avoidance patent schemes etc.?

The public sector is open to everyone, if they get such an amazing deal people can just join.

Recent public sector pay increases have been nowhere near keeping track of inflation, they are not 'near inflation' levels.

52% of public sector salary increases for people on the higher rate go straight back to the exchequer (never leaves in the first place) and another large chunk goes back in a pension deduction, which is essentially a new public sector tax brought in post troika, because when it came in it didn't add anything to existing pension benefits. You might be surprised to hear that the public sector is also made up of TAX PAYERs and they are paying a bigger percentage of their salary to the exchequer than anyone else.

Ah this auld chestnut of an argument. We seem to be able to compare salaries in the 2 sectors when government parties are buying votes and it inflates public sector pay like benchmarking (Twice). Also the point has to be made our nearest neighbors the UK this gap is not there. Why is that? We have the tail wagging the dog here. As for the cuts the troika introduced it was clear that our public sector had been bloated with regards to their pay/pensions and perks and they had no skin in the game.

Are you seriously holding the UK up as a target for policy? I have to stop typing now my sides hurt too much 🤣

You're free to move to the UK you know, and see your TAX spent wisely!

I'm sure it is and that's why you backed up your opinion with facts pulled from these figures? Excluding the last 2 years inflation has been practically 0% for 9 years so any increase pay would have to be above inflation rates. Post croke park agreement and pre the 2022 increase has there been any significant increase for the majority civil servants?

If the state pay 20% more for the same roles I think I'll have to apply myself.

Is it not the case that new civil servants contribute towards their own pension now?

Was there not the croke park agreement when the state was in a spot of bother with its finances?

The case with regards to public sector pensions is the majority of public sector workers including new recruits come no where paying the full costs of their public sector pension. They contribute more than they did but it still falls short. As for pay rises you only have to look at the continued upward cost of servicing public sector pay and pensions from 2013 to 2022 to see that were were pay rises mainly via increments going on but in the land of the public sector an increment is not seen as pay rise yet it all has to be paid for from the tax payers pocket or from borrowing and that borrowing is going to be squarely biting the tax payer in the hole as debt is rolled over to the new higher interest rates

Some major troll feeding going on here. Knew the thread would be ruined. Is this not about the property market?

• Advertisement

Fair enough the below link is a pdf to IMF report on countries pay gap between public and private. On page 12 a list of developed countries Ireland is right over on the right hand side as it has the highest pay gap between the 2 sectors why are our public servants the l'oriel of the the developed world :) . So if you think the UK are in the crapper how's about we follow the much heralded Scandinavian countries who have been talked about as the model for everyone to follow and who have a pay differential that shows the private sector are paid more??

Now deal with the figures no sh1tting about moving to the UK or applying for a job in the public sector or blocking me. The fact is we pay an awful lot for our public services and servants both working and retired and yet we have things like feck all housing, a litany of scandals from garda blowing into their own breathalyzers to people being killed by due to mass misdiagnosis and of course the absolute sh1tshow that are our A&Es on a daily basis, to to mention the buffoonery of having green tinted policies like upping taxes on petrol and deisel making it more expensive for anyone living outside of the 4/5 major cities (so the majority of the population) more expensive to get to work and they have not bothered to provide a valid public transport alternatives. I could go on and on I await your response.

Also this topic is very applicable to the issue outlined in the Opening post. As if we were not paying our public sector this premium then prices would drop due to a curtail in demand via affordability.

https://www.imf.org/-/media/Files/Publications/WP/2023/English/wpiea2023064-print-pdf.ashx

Advertisement