Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The ptrb has to be the worst run organisation ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭cosatron

horrific rain here today. had to put the cows back in, only let them out on thursday, the joys of milking cows in the west.

Brought in the cows also. They were unhappy outside and starting to make a mess. Looks like theirs some decent weather not too far off. I’ll take the rain and the wind as long as the power stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

In here since 2 and most likely keep them in tonight too …..won’t make much milk huddled at a gap or under the ditch …..tucking into wc wheat and last of good bales of grass silage ….can’t beat having enough quality grub in yard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Just ordered enough maize meal for the next 2 weeks. That's it then hopefully. At this stage it's just trying to keep the condition on the cows and holding milk yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Mine came in themselves.lucky have plentiful supply of silage.days like today piss u right off but it will turn and like all farmers we have memories like a sieve and forget the crap quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

My ration salesman was saying the best thing for a lad struggling to get to grass is to get a 50/50 mix of maize/distillers. Beet will only go off he said.

I have mine out for a few hours, will bring them in for a bit of comfort later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I would see where he's coming from though I end up throwing away a nice few tonne of beet whenever I get it as mould starts growing on it before you get to use it up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have lads got enough silage to keep feeding. Using 2021 bales on outfarm, glad to have them..Still a good lot left on homefarm. Feck all grazing done though

Maybe you could even use up the 50/50 mix on weanlings at grass if the weather cleared up earlier than you thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Feeding since august here, trying to finish off the pit now there’s so little left in it. Glad to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm feeding beet, hay and 5kg in the parlour. Come in at 1 in the day, out of silage since yesterday. Out day and night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's mostly a rubbishy rant.

Govt built Council houses years ago when they were spending feck all on Social Welfare; now the SW spending is sky high, probably €25 bn a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Appears u have very little grasp of basic economics relating to inflation and value of money now, compared to decades ago etc. so be be carefull using terms like "rubbishy rant" against others who actually lived threw these periods of mass unemployment etc. I also suggest you look up how much money this government is spending on the likes of HAP over the past 5 years compared to building houses in a low interest rate environment, which is also driving inflation in the rental market

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The nitrates is really going to take legs from under dairying in the near future.if i may be so bold as to use siamsa s situation of a farmer on 75 acres.up to this under derogation he could reasonably expect to milk 60 cows and rear his replacements.this year with banding he will lose2 cows assuming middle band.from next year thats its going to 220 so he will lose another 6 cows.add in the prospect of retainong all calves to 3 months and the fact they are now counted from day 1 could mean another 3 cows give or take. So he is now down to 50.if derogation goes and we are down to 170 thats another hit this will realy hurt knocking over 10 cows off his herd.my figures are rough but they not far away and gives you an idea why guys are forking out big money for acres.alot are just retaining the cow numbers in an effort to justify previous investment and probaly using last years profit to justify it.quotas are backing just in a different form

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

This is a dairy thread, can you take the housing talk somewhere else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I couldn't disagree with much of that.

Another aspect that doesn't add up is that it'll push dairy farmers to get rid of their calves ASAP (be it 14 days, 28 days, or 3 months). This is not going to financially motivate anyone to breed good beef calves. It'll continue driving a wedge between dairy and dairy-beef despite the official line that they are supposed to be working together.

The €100k experts are forgetting about the calves again.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I see the calves being reared to 3 months(off milk) on most dairy farms soon.its already gone to 6 weeks this year.edit to say if you carry a genuine 3 week old calf to the marts near here you ll get no bid.except maybe contintel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I could be wrong but don't some UK co-ops already require farmers to keep calves til they're 12 months? Apparently it's written into the supply contract.

Right or wrong, it'll reduce milk production as cow numbers have to be reduced and it's unlikely beef production will make up that shortfall.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ginger22

Your calculations are just about correct. Will drive a lot of smaller family farms out of dairying. It just wont be viable. Then there are the bigger lads who have grown in the last few years and have large financial commitments. Not looking rosy there either. Lads need to prepare to farm without derogation. It will not be available long term. The only consolation may be reduced national production will mean higher milk prices ? Less calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Talk about defeatism..

Science is behind it's retention.

2 factors play against it, neither scientific...both political.

1. It forces a reduction in numbers, which goes some way to solving a climate issue.

2. It is seen by other countries as an economic advantage to Irish farmers.

The derogation is scientifically sound.

Not dissagreing with you but if you think derogation is going to remain you are in dreamland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The people pushing for it's removal are no more interested in science than the man on the moon. People pushing for this want to see numbers down. Be that number be the number of farmers, the number of cows, the number for N per ha, number of one off houses, number for gas being imported, number of cars, number for fuel sold, etc. Once the numbers go down, they happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Even if it goes to 170 the likes of Pippa and Holly will want more if they ever get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've a relation. The father milked cows then got out. Son has got back into cows.

The son is all anti Eamon Ryan. Highly so. If he saw him I'd say he'd drown him.

However (I'm getting somewhere) he's so anti gone his frame of mind is just to show the two fingers.

Case of point he's put a dungheap not far from a river beside a road. He also put a cow trackway through the river.

He's pissing me off (a lifetime established dairy farmer) by doing this.

I'm not going to report him to the authorities. Authorities have probably seen it anyway and are licking their lips for water nitrate results.

I'm getting to a point. Should there not be a halfway house of a counsellor or such in the IFA or such that farmers could ask to have a word with other farmers that such a thing is not in anyone's interest. Without going the whole hog of reporting to government bodies.

Not sure if any of ye read Pat o Tooles recent article in the ifj. It's free to view anyway online.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. Time for lads to stop burying their heads in the sand.

This crack of dumping culls, calves, flying herds and just depending on the milk cheque is grand until everyone starts doing it.

On/off grazing didn't go too well here today 😲

• Advertisement

To be honest in order to be sustainable long term, stocking rates need to be under 170 Kgs, growing grass at low cost with little fertilizer, growing some grain to supplement in winter and spring or perhaps maize and beet. With that kind of system lads can withstand the highs and lows.

Advertisement