Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Like reading the comments section in the Daily Fail. Another Orwell Roader stirring the sh1te?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would say they probably either have family in the UK or dont speak other European languages apart from English. I think you'll find the UK has quite a number of underdeveloped regions too- the word ghettos should have gone out of fashion in the 1960s. You are right about the unemployment rate has consistently been better in the UK than continently Europe, though after Brexit the labour shortages has contributed to the higher inflation there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A tiny minority of refugees/asylum seekers/undocumented migrants in France attempt the Channel crossing (a point often made in vain to politicians in the UK), but none of them are doing it to "escape" the EU.

Indeed, to use your own weird metric, Many multiples of the number attempting to cross the Channel into the UK are actually going into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

80% of refugees stay in a neighbouring country. Those that transit on do so for several reasons. One they might have friends or family in the country of choice. Or they might have the language as their second choice. Either way it's their choice where they seek asylum, there's nothing saying they have to go to the nearest country.

The UK is not in any way receiving a higher percentage than East European countries. Its just their gutter press make a meal out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You're still at it - leaving out the word "rate" from your growth statements. The EU's GDP currently stands at 17177bn USD; the UK's GDP currently stands at 3131bn USD. Source If the EU grows at a rate of 1% year-on-year from this point, that's 171bn extra; if the UK grows at 5%, that'd be 156bn. So even though the growth rate might be five times higher, the value of that growth is significantly less.

And, again, you're ignoring the inconvenient fact that the UK's economy suffered almost double the loss of GDP in 2020 compared to the EU, so they need their growth rate to be much higher than other countries/blocs just to stand still. Low single digit growth rates aren't going to do be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I remember about 4 years ago there were loads of cartoons showing what the EU thought the UK would be like after Brexit : they showed photoshopped pictures of large inflatable dinghies carrying lots of refugees from the UK in to the EU.

Interesting that the Refugees still want to go the other way, and are willing to risk and pay with their livres sometimes to do so. Also interesting that unemployment, which was double in the EU compared with the UK, is still considerably higher in the EU than in the UK.

It will take a long time to see if Brexit was a success or not, but one thing for sure, the EU is not the be all and end all. I suppose part of the reason for Brexit, as many in the UK saw it, was to control their own borders more. (the way some in Britain - rightly or wrongly - see it, London, Leeds , Bradford etc are minority British cities now, certainly minority white British but they cannot say that). However, after leaving the EU, the UK has agreed to give France stg £500m over three years to try to get France to control the amount of people leaving there for the UK in small boats. You would think for humanitarian reasons alone the French would be trying harder to prevent people taking to sea in dangerous small inflatable boats for the Channel crossing, without the UK having to pay them stg €500,000,000 to do so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I remember about 4 years ago there were loads of cartoons showing what the EU thought the UK would be like after Brexit : they showed photoshopped pictures of large inflatable dinghies carrying lots of refugees from the UK in to the EU.

You don't really see those images now because those EU citizens that were going to leave the UK have already left and aren't coming back.

Interesting that the Refugees still want to go the other way, and are willing to risk and pay with their livres sometimes to do so. Also interesting that unemployment, which was double in the EU compared with the UK, is still considerably higher in the EU than in the UK.

Some do but even now, the UK is taking in far fewer refugees than EU countries.

It will take a long time to see if Brexit was a success or not,

How much time? How long are the British public meant to put up with the mess that is Brexit?

but one thing for sure, the EU is not the be all and end all. I suppose part of the reason for Brexit, as many in the UK saw it, was to control their own borders more. (the way some in Britain - rightly or wrongly - see it, London, Leeds , Bradford etc are minority British cities now, certainly minority white British but they cannot say that). However, after leaving the EU, the UK has agreed to give France stg £500m over three years to try to get France to control the amount of people leaving there for the UK in small boats. You would think for humanitarian reasons alone the French would be trying harder to prevent people taking to sea in dangerous small inflatable boats for the Channel crossing, without the UK having to pay them stg €500,000,000 to do so.

So you're telling us the UK took control of their borders by paying the French to manage them?

You say "The EU's GDP currently stands at 17177bn USD; the UK's GDP currently stands at 3131bn USD"

Thank you for that.

If we take the population of the UK as 67 million approx, and the EU as 447 million approx, then the UK is still doing pretty well, certainly better than the EU per head of population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

You are intentionally being misleading and got called out on it. EU employment rate includes countries that have historically had high unemployment rates. If you want to brag about the UK having a stronger economy than Greece then have at it. Not sure that would have counted as an achievement for the UK in 2012 but standards have lowered I guess.

The refugee argument is always interesting, they want refugees looked after as long as it is someone else's problem! Yes we are in favour of good treatment of the less fortunate as long as someone else takes care of it. The cartoons were a mock of UK citizens travelling to the EU in dinghies, we don't have EU citizens travelling to the UK in dinghies. Many refugees (the vast majority I would guess) stay in France but refugees will naturally spread out to try and find a home. Providing a legal route to the UK for them will stop the dinghies but obviously the important bit is if someone else takes care of it.

Brexit is a failure. The only reason you don't want judgement on it yet is because it is a failure. If people wanted control over immigration from non white countries (since you mention white British specifically) then they shouldn't have voted for less control with Brexit. They had control and have lost a lot of leverage in encouraging France from stopping those people from reaching the UK. Other countries will also leverage immigration laws in return for trade now that the UK is in a weak position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Yes the UK isn't doing bad, GDP by PPP, it comes in at 17th place in Europe, about half way down the table. Behind Luxembourg, IRL, Swiss, Norway, San Marino, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, Iceland, Andorra, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Finland, France, Malta.

But it is ahead of Italy, Slovenia, Cyprus, Checz, Spain....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Given that the UK is having to give France stg €500,000,000 to help try to stem the amount of people fleeing the EU in little rubber boats for the UK, it would appear the UK wants to control the amount of refugees it gets, and to have those refugees it does receive come by car ferry or ship or plane rather than by the much more dangerous means of little rubber dinghies. if you look at London for example, in the 2021 census, London had a population of 8,799,720. Around 37% of the population were born outside the UK. Only 36.8% of the population of London is white British.

Those cartoons of inflatable boats full of refugees leaving the UK for the EU did not turn out to be the case. The rubber boats are still going the other way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: Right, you are obviously trolling - yet again!

While I have been more than lenient towards you, at this point I've had enough. I've given you plenty of notice and warning and you obviously ignored me.

Do not post in this thread again!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Isn't that just lazy people who don't know how to conserve cheap pasta.

According to the Tories at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see somehow liz truss has been in front of a microphone and a camera and shock horror it’s everybody’s fault but hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

and

She really is appalling - were they capable of being embarrassed, she would be an embarrassment to her party. But, she's in a constituency that's been Tory for the past sixty years, so she'll stay an MP for as long as she wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: She'll stay an MP for as long as the Executive Management Team of the South West Norfolk Conservative Association wants her to. It's their seat, not hers.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was rather hoping we'd heard the last of Liz Truss. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Heritage Foundation is some sort of ungodly, far right US thinktank or some such abomination.

She's basically collecting a fortune by parroting other people's nonsense about the culture war. Baffles me that there are people who will pay for this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Heritage Foundation is some sort of ungodly, far right US thinktank or some such abomination

Oh yeah, and then some. TBH invoking "Social Democracy" as a dire warning tipped the hat 'cos as bad as the Tories are, even they aren't so to the right they'd shít on what amounts to the default on the mainland.

The Heritage Foundation (abbreviated to Heritage)[1][2] is an American conservative think tank based in Washington, D.C. that is primarily geared toward public policy. The foundation took a leading role in the conservative movement during the presidency of Ronald Reagan, whose policies were taken from Heritage's policy study Mandate for Leadership.[4]

The Tories, no but then this is one of the IEA brigade from the extreme right end of the party. She was co-author of Britannia Unchained, the British libertarian's polemic of choice against the tyranny of statism. Sure, I may be thousands of pounds a year worse off but if that ideological drivel has been discredited here for a generation, it won't be without benefit.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Well in fairness, the financial markets were quick to let the Tories know what they thought of it. Consequently the party didn't take any chances with the next leadership contest - it looked as if anyone but Sunak was "persuaded" not to run.

Indeed, but it seems that an MP would need to be involved in a fairly bad financial or criminal scandal to be deselected. Simply being an incompetent embarrassment isn't enough (I was going to list all who qualify on that score, but it would be easier to list those who don't). And once you keep being selected in the safe seats, you're guaranteed a job for life - if you want it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, basically true, unless a parachutist needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Your assumption would be correct. Someone with knowledge of them was wondering today what Truss was doing giving a speech to a bunch of "far right lunatics".

Was she ever really a Remainer? Seems hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm reminded of Groucho Marx' comments about interchangeable principles.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And there may be a very large one of those (in every way) depending on a recall election in Uxbridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The only requirement is that you should toady to the constituency selection committee, and tell them the lies they want to hear. But since that's a requirement for getting selected in the first place, MPs who sit for safe seats generally have these skills in spades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is it a badge of honour for a constituency to be home to the historical figure of the former PM who had the shortest tenure of that post - EVER - 42 days.

I would think the swivel eyed members might consider it such an honour, but some may be minded to change to a more honourable candidate.

As for South Harrow and Ruislip rejects - well, we await the recall. However, I would think that particular loser would prefer a return to Oxfordshire where his Bullingham days built his thirst for notoriety.

• Advertisement

Unionists and right-wing UK press making a holy show of themselves this week lashing out at not only Biden but Ireland for its lack of military might. Multiple papers running with the rhetoric that the UK is a more important partner to the US than Ireland so Biden should behave differently.

It's pathetic "You're not my friend if I'm not your bestest special friend." playground stuff. The UK populace has seemingly lost all ability or interest in international diplomacy. Regular people just lashing out at the EU, US, and Ireland, for years, because they can't get their way.

Advertisement