Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Could be as simple as the inbound Seattle was delayed. (Or Toronto)

Both routes now using the A330-200 series aircraft. Only 2 in service st the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It arrived into Dublin as scheduled yesterday morning. Went out today about 3 hours late again as it was also late in. Obviously struggling make up the time. FR burst tyre probably didn't help.

Assuming DUO is the sole operating aircraft over the next few days ect how long could it take to get back on track.

I aware of how both -200s are operating at the moment. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EC-MAJ A332 of Wamos positioning to DUB this morning to operate for EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was just about to post that. Fr has it down to ewr later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

100 each way ? Whats the flight time? Depends on your height too obviously

• Advertisement

LAX and SEA flights so probably 10hrs and nearly 9hrs. I'd be about 5.8ft.

Im eyeing up rows 9 or 10 which are 60 each. Would like a nice view before the wing going over. Coming home I'm actually not bothered.

Seen that DAA returned to Toronto shortly after takeoff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

At 5'8... Not worth it... There's plenty of room on all seats... (I'm 5'7 and a sore ass is all I get). Grab one on the flight day, as close to the front so you can to get on/off quicker... But not so close that you're near the walk through galley (teapot melodies/those 'mall walker' people that walk in circles the entire flight/babies in cardboard boxes and meerkat kids)... Around the purple area is my sweet spot.

As I used to tell my friends going West Coast....." right hand side going out, lefthand side going home"

Best chance to see Greenland and/or Northern Lights.

Never thought of it that way. I shall take that advice.

But as days get longer the chance of Northern Lights gets less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

With edy gone back to Manchester and on the new York flight today what happens to lrh is there another route planned from Manchester

Nothing extra planned this year. Still just MAN-JFK and MAN-MCO/BGI. (Assuming BGI is going this summer)

Maybe 2024 will see another A321LR and the MAN-BOS relaunched.

Or (wild card) another A330 and a route to Cancun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I suspect JetBlue will get ahead on MAN-BOS before Aer Lingus, they’ve already expressed their interest in MAN (and DUB of course) and with Aer Lingus short on long range narrow bodies until at least late 2024, they’ll miss the opportunity.

I actually think they’ve taken a slightly wrong approach to the MAN base this year but the fleet requirements at DUB forced their hand. After a relatively strong performance at MAN in 2022, growth really should have followed with the long awaited launch of BOS. Unfortunately for MAN, the incentives being thrown at them for DUB-CLE were too good to ignore which meant taking away the MAN based A321 and replacing it with an A330, fine for JFK in the summer but will be useless in winter.

There is a lot of potential at Manchester for Aer Lingus; Virgin Atlantic are uninterested, TUI has its own market to look after and the US carriers have been slow to return. Aer Lingus has shown promise but the fleet is simply too small and too difficult to juggle between bases and AOCs for them to achieve any meaningful growth in the near term.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR738

I suppose the A321LR thats used on the BDL flight could go to MAN and replace the 333 to JFK from end of October as its currently a seasonal route, unless it’s extended. It was a year round route pre covid

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I’d be cautious on MAN’s overall potential. MON, TCX both relied heavily on it for their long haul ops and went bust, the US3 all massively rolled back in the last decade, VIR almost went under, BAW all but abandoned it, the Canadian presence is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago. The ME3 and others heading East have done very well there but for whatever reason the Westbound market has imploded. EI might be able to turn the tide given their cost base is much lower than the competition, especially on the Neo, but it has not been the potential bonanza one would expect from a region with a population that large in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

My aviation knowledge wouldn’t be great but surely EI should focus their growth in Dublin rather than keeping a couple of routes in MAN. I think it’s such a waste to have two aircraft based there when they could be used in their home base!!

EI already have 3 NYC flights from Dublin. And they have increased their schedule to Orlando to 6 a week.

Aer Lingus saw an unserved market (that they already had passenger numbers for) and decided to get in before another airline jumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

+ Covid. U.K. was opening up far faster than Ireland, The EU and USA. EI were looking to diversify quickly in case the delay in opening was longer or quickly shutdown.

The U.K. being in the position of shooting itself in the foot with Brexit was looking to sell itself quickly to everyone including the people who voted Yes as some sort of proof it was working.

EI also need the U.K. AOC anyway, so it was a wise move. I doubt it will be long term for reasons given by previous posters.

Ei-fng diverted to KEF. Ei-daa still stuck in YYZ also.

Aer Lingus stating it was a tech issue.

Always seems to happen in clusters, that must be the 3rd in the last two weeks. Could be a very long summer ahead but nothing new there for Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Yeah unfortunately. Yesterdays EI105 to JFK was also cancelled according to FR24.

With their a330s being on the older side, it really would be advisable to have an a330 spare... Not parked per se.. but one frame always having a day off. Being older the lease rates are assumably low. Its gotta be a total headwreck trying to rejig and get things back on stream, and even fixed these days with MROs and spares unavailable.

Looks like the Trent 7000 endurance issue has been rectified by RR on the 330neo. Would be good to see EI get an order in and reveal their replacement plans.

https://simpleflying.com/how-rolls-royce-increases-trent-7000-time-on-wing/

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

could this fit into my argument that EI haven’t got a comfortable number of planes for them to base 2 of them at MAN and instead should focus on DUB?

According to Twitter and FR24 EI are sending an a320 to Iceland due to depart shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The Trent 7000 on the neos are dogshit. Plagued with FADEC,Fuel Pump and HMU issues

Post edited by Bussywussy on

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Yeah their on wing time is still a fraction of what was promised I believe. GTF is in the same boat on the A220/A320 Neo. I think the Leap is over its worst teething problems on the Neo and Max.

Considering Aer Lingus has ran into these fleet problems every summer for the past decade, scrapping Manchester would simply mean stretching the fleet to max from Dublin instead, as they have done for years.

It’s a fleet strategy they’ve stuck with despite repeated issues, it would take a complete change in culture at the airline for them to consider scrapping Manchester (or anything else) simply to have a bit of fleet flexibility.

It’s clear that management are happy to accept the cancellations, reputation damage, short term lease costs etc. in exchange for a maxed out fleet raking the summer profits.

If it wasn’t Manchester it would be somewhere else.

I agree. I had hoped/thought that being part of IAG; the group would have spare capacity at their hubs to help each other out at short notice, but hope is what kills ya I guess.

There's a new improvement coming for the leap that addresses the hot/sandy conditions it suffers most from, but the CFM56 it replaces has a phenomenal on-wing time - gonna be hard to get there on the leap... Time will tell I guess.

It's use on the LR, with lower daily take-offs/landings, should (I assume) keep it on-wing on this model moreso than the euro-fleet neos. Plus it's designed for multiple daily flight cycles so the LRs engines should be pretty reliable.

Post edited by sherology on

• Advertisement

Is that going to refuel and take them on to Boston?

Scrap that... 5+hrs too far right. EI-DEM on it's way.

Post edited by sherology on

Advertisement