Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

funny how all his supporters on here were so adamant that it was a voluntary action.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A poorly prepared Journalist was made a little uncomfortable by a guy playing silly buggers with semantics.

No one got "Destroyed".

"Destroyed" has become such an edge-lord term , it really no longer means what the word was intended.

Anytime you see a Video titled "X gets DESTROYED by Y" it never actually shows anything like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, there's nothing to see here; talk about over-eager hyperbole. As you say, the journo was completely unprepared, and it's not like he couldn't have pulled a slew of anecdotal tweets, or various stats collated by groups monitoring this kind of thing. Mind you, the interview was supposedly arranged extremely short notice, so it's entirely possible the journo simply didn't have the time to prepare in the first place.

Either way: Musk didn't "destroy" anyone, and kinda speaks to the bootlicking endemic with this guy's ever utterance. Again though, you're not going to get an empathetic point of view from a guy whose status is so far removed from any degree of mundane hardship, since his childhood; of course Musk doesn't recognise Hate Speech, why would he with his <trigger warning> ... privilege?

Hate to laugh though, literally the second reply under the "Destroyed" tweet is:

Way to go elonmusk !!! These “reporters” need to answer for their role in Covid disinformation.

🙄

That's true. I'm sure we could pour over the early days of this thread, find some choice users who at the time insisted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The decision making is clearly being done by people with the maturity of Jay from Inbetweeners

The fact he said that his dog is CEO of Twitter now actually does explain some of Twitters recent changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It was a joy to watch Elon destroy that lad😀

Where is this "destruction"?

Or is it just the clickbait/meme "destruction"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Lad got a 20 min warning and then Musk derailed wherever he could. Lad could have asked the same "give me examples and sources signed by their parents and grandparents" ...

To add to the "destroyed" faction. Mainly I see this with Schapiro, Peterson etc... Spewing words at the audience that 90% of viewers won't understand and the unprepared audience members can't handle either. "As Tolstoy really meant the capitalistic agenda of the precarious, we have to ask yourself what is truth?" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Only mildly related to this but what I find interesting is how modern tech is eating itself in an unusual way, all tech depends entirely on microchips and the research, developments, and production of the 'machines' that make the microchips require brilliant people it's cutting edge stem/ engineering, yet it's the careers at Facebook, Google, Twitter or finance and the like are seen as desirable because of promotion by social media downplaying cutting edge engineering as a career, after all, how many have heard of ASML.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

The BBC really is gone to the dogs if thats what they employ as a journalist.

Musk made him like like a fool with a basic question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

People will follow the money and why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Musk was quite fair with the journalist, he asked him a perfectly fair question.

He gave him ample time to answer the question.

By the way this wasnt just any BBC reporter, this chap is the BBC North America Tech reporter.

As you say, the journo was completely unprepared, and it's not like he couldn't have pulled a slew of anecdotal tweets, or various stats collated by groups monitoring this kind of thing. Mind you, the interview was supposedly arranged extremely short notice, so it's entirely possible the journo simply didn't have the time to prepare in the first place.

It wasnt a hastily arranged meeting, the journalist wasnt poorly prepared.

So the journalist asked Musk for the interview so he should have been prepared properly and professionally for it.

Instead he asked shallow gotcha questions to try and trap Musk but ended up instead having his arse handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Yeah, piss poor journalism by the BBC

"Elon since you've taken over Twitter it's full of hate speech"

"Can you give some examples?"

"No I can't . . . anyway moving on to my next question"

I mean this is what I see all the time from the same loopers on boards.ie as well

"This thread is full of hate speeeeeech!"

"Can you give some examples / posts from this thread?"

"You're all a bunch of racists!"

As Elon would say - is it actual hate speech or just ideas you personally don't happen to like . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

PBS also leaving:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-12/pbs-joins-npr-in-quitting-twitter-over-state-backed-designation

Musk is like a teenager without impulse control. Kicking after NPR defo will bring the advertisers back on the platform.

But I thought MemeLord Musk DESTROYED this claim?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remember the term "Alternative Facts"?

Start at your conclusion and work backwards: we know, 212 pages in, certain cohorts have a predefined vision of what Musk is to them, and good luck persuading them otherwise. So Elon Musk "destroyed" a journalist who conducted an interview at (supposed) short notice and probably had zero facts or research to hand. A random tech. reported at that, one whose clothes and stubble suggested the last thing he was expecting that day was an interview with Elon Musk.

This was obviously a tactic by Musk: organise a hasty interview, have the Beeb scrambling to get ready, then act like the dominant brain in the conversation while the other side is tying its shoe laces. Credit where it's due, it's devious and obviously worked well such that his fans are cheering wildly. Musk's little moments about supposed "CoVid disinformation" icing for those we know are inclined towards conspiratorial bollix.

All these so-called Alpha types love their power plays - do all you can to impose yourself on the other, through physical means or otherwise. It's why, IIRC, Police don't tell you they're coming to question you - don't let the suspect relax or get their stories ready. Or Lyndon Johnson used to stand uncomfortably close to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And if the BBC journalist did have an example, he probably already had an answer prepared well I can't discuss a specific person's complaint privacy yadda yadda yadda.

All to distract from Musk 'destroying' Twitter's value and his own wealth in the process.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's no doubt the interview went badly for the BBC journalist. Regardless of the reasons, the journalist was unprepared for any pushback on very serious statements which Musk would obviously defend or ask for evidence on.

As for "destroyed" though, that's just internet speak for people who need to claim something as a win, while actively ignoring the other parts of the interview where he admits he only bought Twitter because he was going to be forced to by a judge, that he sleeps at the office sometimes (I guess it means he can read catturd2's tweets quicker if he's on-site), and that the whole experience of buying and running Twitter has been pretty painful. And that he doesn't have a grasp on the difference between publicly funded news outlets and government propaganda news outlets and is trying to conflate the two either purposefully or just because he's an idiot.

Not to mention that just because the BBC interviewer didn't have examples of hate speech at hand, doesn't mean it's not happening. There are Twitter-Blue-Verified accounts with racial slurs or Nazi references in their names, and accounts that just tweet quotes from Mein Kampf for example, and Twitter is facing fines of approx 30bn for not removing Nazi hate speech in accordance with German laws (and given that they do ban some accounts in Germany for Nazi hate speech but don't ban those accounts in other countries shows that they know it counts as Nazi hate speech but are okay with it in other countries).

So yeah, an ill-prepared interview and the journalist made a balls of some of it. But has it changed anything? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Things that the word ‘DESTROYED’ relates to in regards to Elon Musk:

His personal fortune

Teslas share price

Twitters valuation

Twitters functionality and reliability

His reputation

Things it does not relate to:

Challenging a journalist on a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Seems clear to me what is going on with Twitter (+ changes there) even as someone who does not use it much! People seem to think it is a big joke, how dumb Musk is etc. etc., but expect they could be laughing on other side of their faces during the next US election. IMO Musk is maybe convinced that democracy is going to fail soon in the US, is positioning himself to benefit from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think democracy is in any danger in America and twitter is definitely not a threat to it. Once the trump era comes to an end either with another loss or his re election, politivlcs will go back to normal. I dont think twitter will have a resurgence under Elon whoever wins the election

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Can he hold his creditors off for another 18 months though? I dont see how with the way the finances currently look, ad spend is estimated to be still down 89% from prior to him buying the company, the number of people subscribed to twitter blue are nowhere close to what he would need to replace that ad spend and that number is unlikely to do anything but drop. Celebs arent subbing to twitter blue and neither are companies or orgs, in fact many are straight up leaving the platform. And thats just some of the problems he has, I honestly don't see him making it to the elections without some massive change of fortune which is incredibly unlikely.

If anything, it's a good reminder of how subversive and reductive Twitter exists as a tool for current affairs; more than simple editorialising by news outlets, we see a snippet of a conversation, edited and its context removed or ignored - just to score a "win" in some arbitrary and simplified game of "my guy won"

I don't think democracy in the US is set to fail, but nor do I think it's in rude health either. The main foundational problem, as I see it, is that you have two competing institutional camps that go beyond here "Left vs. Right": those who recognise the county is too different to cling to flawed historical systems past their usefulness (lifelong appointments, 2 senators per state, the electoral college etc.) and requires revision; and those under the abstracted banner of "originalists", who think it's all perfect and amazing and should stay that way (a little gerrymandering merely being good for the blood).

American democracy probably should have fallen apart years ago, but is so fundamentally dysfunctional, the brittleness seems to be baked in & expected. Like a Jenga tower that can take a little bit of wobble, and everyone knows where the line is. Trump definitely caused the most wobble in modern US history, so I get why some might see apocalypse around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

What a dickhead - interviewer is a journalist paid to ask questions of subjects not a representative of the BBCs position. Lets interview the Twitter canteen staff on the companies corporate strategy.

Musk has really gone off the reservation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is a journalist, he is supposed to be objective and knowledgeable on his subject the tech sector.

Instead he was biased and went into the interview with an agenda, one he couldnt back up.

Musk was polite, forthright and patient in the interview, people are so biased if they are blaming Musk.

I'm tired of biased journalists, they are supposed to be objective and let the public decide for themselves in relation to matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Great interview with that BBC journo who repeatedly tried to box Musk in but inevitably failed and was made look foolish and amateurish.

The journalist seemed like a nice guy but was totally unprepared. Nice to see these company men have the light turned on them. Hopefully start of a new trend.

Advertisement